S-L-O-W ~~it's so hard not to get discouraged....

Options
....when I look at the Message Boards and see people losing much more quickly than I am - especially women who are the same starting weight as I am! It has taken me from July 11 - now to lose 5 lbs. I lost one lb the first week at 1200, and none the second. So I upped my calories to 1400 - my BMR test that I did at the dr. said 1480 was my BMR - and I did start losing again, but at 1/2 lb a week, so I figured I'd go for the 1660 and just focus on the 1/2 lb per week - most days, from my diary, I am really only eating about 1400 -- I know I am whining, but I am so wanting to knock this other 6 pounds off a little sooner than Christmas time!!!

Diary is open - I am open to new ideas - so far when I am in my pity party, MFP friends have helped, it's just going so sloooooooow, that I feel like just giving up today and falling back into my old habits - lots of wine and cookies at night. What holds me back is knowing how I will feel the next day, and the tiny hope that this weight WILL come off -

I am struggling with maybe TOO much info - and I am not sure "where to stand" exactly. Do I go down to 1200? Stay at 1400? go to 1480? Keep trying 1660? Workout more? (3 - 5 hours/week,walking, zumba and yoga, depending) Zig-zag? Take pills? Give up? I read so many different things here - all about metabolisms, and such....I had the test at the doctor, so I know that BMR is correct.....I am officially post-menopausal, but on progesterone - my estrogen levels are fine....

I will admit though, that I look like I 've lost more than 5, more like 8 - 10.....

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I totally understand... I am in the same boat... my favorite line I read on here is that the weight just falls off?? Wish it would happen to me.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    it's annoying. and frustrating. and sometimes discouraging.

i have been here since may and have lost a whopping 4lbs. i have done what you have done and made the changes that have been suggested... all to no avail.

my only advice to you is... stick with it. no matter which calorie plan you go for, no matter which workout plan you choose... just stick with it. as you mentioned, you LOOK different. i'm sure you feel different. and im sure those workouts are getting more fun and your endurance is increasing.

life isn't about a number on a scale. you are more than that stupid number. i won't lie and say it's not frustrating for me as well... but look at where you've come from. you're eating well, paying attention, and working out - that's likely more than you were doing BEFORE you got here.

so good for you. 5lbs is nothing to sneeze at - especially because you look and feel so much better. maybe come Christmas you'll be stuck at that same 5lbs, but i bet you'll look a whole lot different.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I don't see water on any of the recent days. That can really make a big difference.

On the bigger exercise days I would stay closer to the 1300-1500 calories and on non-workout days stay closer to the 1200. It looked like you were doing the oposite and you never want to be below 1200.

On the bigger days the protein looked good and not on all the lower calorie days and you want to be as consistent as possible. Same with the exercise, try finding a routine you can live with and that way the body will be more likely to release the fat.

Just keep at it and adjust as necessary and it will happen!!!
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight differently, try taking you measurements more often instead of weighing yourself. You might be losing a lot of inches. Just don't give up, keep experimenting with different foods and exercises and something will eventually click for you. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and I know you will accomplish your goal, just stay focused.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very S-L-O-W losing after menopause. I'm with you on that. Just keep with it. If you give up you will only gain again and I don't think you want that. I've been on here since March and only lost a little over 28 pounds. It's been a struggle. Remember, at least you're not gaining. I found that insight to be very helpful during my plateaus. Don't give up!!! I hover between 1100-1400 calories depending upon how much I exercise. When I exercise I feel less inclined to eat. You'll see results :flowerforyou: Be patient and know you are doing the right thing for yourself.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I only lose a lb a week, and I don't really lose an entire lb every week. I agree it is hard to stay motivated. It will be a long haul for me. When I tried to lose faster I got too hungry and failed, but it is tough to lose between .5-1.0lb every week knowing that I have another 35lbs to go. I try really hard to remember that I am in this for the long haul. And even if it is coming off slowly it is progress even when it doesn't feel like it.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I am a S-L-O-W loser, too. I only have 5 or 7 lbs to lose....the same ones that I've been trying to lose for 3 years. I think the closer you get to your "goal weight", the tougher it goes. For example, my diary last week was (healthful and) exemplary - I also ate back my work-out calories - and I lose a whopping 0.1 lbs.

Please don't get discouraged. Please also recognize that Dr. Oz says by cutting 200 calories per day, you are "on track" to lose 1 lb. per month....which is 12 lbs. a year! For me, I'd rather weigh 10 lbs less at this time next year, then NOT, so I'm going to keep tracking.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Since you only have 6 lb to go, set your goal to only lose about 0.5 lb a week. And stick with the net and eat your exercises calories back.

What kind of exercises do you do? How often?
    * Make sure pick a cardio workout that you like (running, walking, swimming, biking, etc), so you'll more likely doing it.
    * Add strength training (weight lifting) 2-3 times a week. Lift heavy, not light weight.

Do not only focus on your scale number, do a measurement once awhile to give you encouragement from a different perspective.

In fact you've lost 5 lb since July!!! That's a great great job!
  • upsydaisy2011
    upsydaisy2011 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss so far and you say it looks like more than 5lbs so that's great! I have 11lbs to lose which doesn't sound a lot but I was previously 3 stones overweight and lost weight about 5 years ago. However, 11lbs have crept back on over the last year or so. I'm finding weight loss really hard, whereas a few years back I would easily lose 2-3lbs a week without exercising and not being super good with my diet now I am struggling to lose even a lb a week even though I am calorie counting and exercising. It's disheartening but I know that if I give up I will just give in to bad habits. I lost the weight before, I can do it again. Keep going, you can do it
  • transylvaniaxx
    Options
    You are preaching to the choir. I am now going on my third diet/exercise, hopefully this time, I don't give up. And I had the exact same problem you did.... I got discouraged because of how long it was taking and just gave up. This time, I'm in a whole new light, realizing that it's not going to be easy to lose as much weight as I want to quickly. You just have to realize that everyone reacts differently to different foods and different work-outs. What someone else is doing that is working might not necesarrily work out for you. I think I've found work outs that work for me and I'm switching it up every so often to make sure I don't get bored - and the same goes with food. You just have to stick to it, try not to get discouraged, and if you do, come on MFP for the support you need. Be sure to friend me, if you'd like. I'll be happy to give you the support =].
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    thanks, y'all -- it's nice to see folks in the "Slow Loser" club, even if it stinks to be in it !!! :heart:
  • Emilyannewithane
    Options
    ******Please don't get discouraged. Please also recognize that Dr. Oz says by cutting 200 calories per day, you are "on track" to lose 1 lb. per month....which is 12 lbs. a year! For me, I'd rather weigh 10 lbs less at this time next year, then NOT, so I'm going to keep tracking.*********
    [/quote]

Thank you!, That was actually EXACTLY what I needed to hear today. Thank you!
  • Emilyannewithane
    Options
    thanks, y'all -- it's nice to see folks in the "Slow Loser" club, even if it stinks to be in it !!! :heart:

I feel like the President of this club....You are SO totally not alone. Reading posts about people losing 4 lbs a week? yikes. Makes the green eyed monster come out.
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    yeah, when I think about it from the Dr. Oz perspective, I guess I can live with that -- I just can't wait till I start hearing "you look amazing" !!!! The Good Lord has really laid some stuff on my heart this year about healing myself.....
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I started it took a few weeks of consistency to make the scale move. I think whatever calorie level you set to, don't give it only one week before you start panicing and making changes. You don't have much to lose (as you said 6 pounds left) so I hear that can be slower. If you lose 1/2 pound a week I would think that is great... and it might not be a 1/2 pound in one week.. it might average out to 1 pound in two weeks. You'll get there if you put the effort in.. just maybe not overnight :)
  • 05Oaks
    05Oaks Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also a member of the club :) I have lost 12 lbs at about 1 lb a week and then got stuck. I know for me I need to add more exercise but I have not been able to fit it in consistently. I love seeing everyones comments. Its very encouraging. I agree I would rather feel better- as I have been that give up and add the 12 lbs back. I keep at it and try to keep in mind what everyone is saying that it will come off. Its hard to be patient and I like you have a fine balance between not eating enough and eating too much. I am trying to find whats best for me. Keep posting as I think we all benefit from each other. Have a great day!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've been extremely strict since January 3rd of this year and have only lost an average of .75 pounds per week. Sometimes, I go for weeks with no loss at all, then I'll lose a pound or two. It is very frustrating, but I figure...as long as I am losing at all, then I'm moving in the right direction. Along with that, I am down 2 sizes and 16" and get daily compliments on my new figure. So, it might take me 5 or 6 months to lose these last 15 pounds...but it's still better than weighing 45 pounds more, like I would have on Jan 3, if I had not even tried.

I tell myself...after these 6 months, I'm done. I will have the knowledge and the tools to be able to maintain and not ever have to go through this again.

So hang in there and don't give up!

:flowerforyou:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you! I'm doing it in a way that is healthy and sustainable for me. I can easily live the entire rest of my life eating the way I currently do but the loss is not fast. I chose to do it at this pace and knew from the outset that it wouldn't be an overnight success.

BUT, it can be so frustrating to see my scale come to a standstill (even though inches are dropping) and have a friend who decides to eat only meat for two months and drops 34 pounds that fast! I look through the forums and see people losing crazy fast and it's so hard not to do something drastic!

"I added three extra eye blinks to my day and lost 20 pounds!" Whatever. :P I have to just keep reviewing my goals, look at the progress I have made and keep plugging along. I know I can't just eat meat for two months, I will kill someone! So I'll keep doing what I'm doing and watch the scale move slowly but surely downward. And I'll even try to be happy for those who've lost fast because they are working hard too and I'm just jealous. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    There is no "quit" in a "lifestyle change"...it just IS THE WAY IT IS!!

For me, today was a good tracking day and a good exercise day - so, it's a good day, overall!! (And, I didn't step on the scale, so who cares what my number is/was?)