Painful hardware in ankle?

Options
I broke my ankle in 2015 and had a plate and 8 screws in the distal fibula. It's taken a long time to get where I'm at today. I go to an orange theory like gym where we do strength and running intervals on the tread . I love it! I've lost most of the weight I gained recovering from my injury and I feel great! Occasionally my ankle hardware hurts. Not super painful but uncomfortable, it doesn't really hinder a whole lot in my workout unless we running at an incline, my range of motion isn't what it used to be. I also wake up with a stiff foot. Basically it never feels normal.

I've thought about getting the hardware removed, but it's surgery and I've been told that it might not even remedy anything. Soooo, anyone else experience this?

Also, you can see at least two screws protruding from the ankle. It's kind of gross lol!

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I struggle to kneel on my left knee because of the screw head from my ACL replacement. It pokes and jabs. I asked about getting it taken out and was advised against it. It can lead to more problems just poking around in that area apparently, so I just have to live with it and adjust. It has improved marginally over the course of 10 years though.

I don't think that helps you in the slightest!
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I had ankle surgery in 2013 and going thru the same thing you are. I love running and sprinting but every time I do it I am sore the next day :/ so jogging is the best thing I can do on the area. I have a "shock free" treadmill that makes it easy on my anckle, jogging on concrete or a regular treadmill is too uncomfortable.
    I ask my Dr if it would help to get them remove and he said it will and is a minor surgery(fast recovery he said)but I have to take the risk of the area being "unprotected", even though it's been 3 years, the bone will never be the same as it was before...
    So I decided to leave it the way it is, I'm ok with jogging and running occasionally. There is so many other workouts that you can do.
    Also as you lose weight it gets better, maybe when I reach my goal wt I'll be able to run...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle 2007 and have a plate and 9 screws. This was long before I lost weight or started exercising.

It takes time to get used to feeling those protruding screws, but things settle in as time progresses. I can assure you that I run now with no pain whatsoever. I think you might just run this question by your ortho to be on the safe side, just to be sure.
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that I run now with no pain whatsoever.
    @GottaBurnEmAll you just gave me hope that one day I'll be able to do it too.
    Just one question: did you follow a particular program to start running???
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Thanks, that was my intention. C25K is just awesome!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    I broke my ankle in 2015 and had a plate and 8 screws in the distal fibula. It's taken a long time to get where I'm at today. I go to an orange theory like gym where we do strength and running intervals on the tread . I love it! I've lost most of the weight I gained recovering from my injury and I feel great! Occasionally my ankle hardware hurts. Not super painful but uncomfortable, it doesn't really hinder a whole lot in my workout unless we running at an incline, my range of motion isn't what it used to be. I also wake up with a stiff foot. Basically it never feels normal.

I've thought about getting the hardware removed, but it's surgery and I've been told that it might not even remedy anything. Soooo, anyone else experience this?

Also, you can see at least two screws protruding from the ankle. It's kind of gross lol!

I am in much the same situation as you - broke my ankle just over a year ago, and it has been a slow road to where I am now. I still have limited range of movement and think I always will. I can't really even run, and hills or stairs can be a problem (going down stairs I sometimes have to do each step bad-foot first).

I have also considered having the screws and plates removed but it's another surgery, plus recovery, and may not give any improvement.

I still fiND the ankle/hardware can get sore in the cold, and is stiff in the morning or if I sit still too long.
    I make sure to walk plenty and even recently got a dog so I have to walk more.

So, no advice here, but a bit of solidarity!! :)
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks, that was my intention. C25K is just awesome!
    I started walking. Slowly. Then I would increase my speed and distance as time went on, eventually being able to run again. I broke my ankle in May of 2015 and started really running again May of 2016. It's hard to do anything over three miles at this point. This is a tough injury to bounce back from. Eventually I'll be ale to do longer distances, in time. Also, I STILL go to PT once a month. It's so helpful. Good luck!

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I've got a plate and screws in my right ankle that were placed there after a motorcycle accident over 30 yrs ago. Never caused me a problem, so I never bothered having them removed.

I think it's just a matter of personal choice. It's been about a yr since your ankle surgery, so the likelihood of it getting better at this point, while unlikely, is still possible. So, you may want to give it a litle more time.

On the other hand, if it's really bothering you, you really have no other recourse but to remove the plate and see what happens. You just have to decide whether the additional surgery and recovery time is worth the inconvenience and effort.

You're the only one who can make that decision. Good luck!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I shattered my left ankle/leg in three places in a motorcycle mishap back in 2011. I had the same plate and 8 screws put on the fibula as you describe as well as two long screws to secure the bottom of the tibia which had sheared off. 7 months after the first surgery I had the plate and 8 screws removed. Removal stopped all of the issues that have been described above and I am thrilled that it was taken out. Recovery was the only tricky period because of the holes that were left behind when the screws were removed. It took about 4 months for the bone to totally heal; I began light exercise (wii fit stepping and walking) about 2 months after the surgery to remove the plate/screws. Today I am an avid runner and have regained about 90% of the range of motion that I had prior to the break. If your orthopedic surgeon is in favor and your insurance will cover the expense I highly recommend having the plate removed.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It does depend on the position of the plates. Mine was plated/screwed in fibula and tibia in about 2010. They had to come out about 18mths later but it was a breeze.

Recovery was quick - they can remove under a local but it's the anaesthetist's choice and mine preferred to knock me out. It was a day's hospital visit then sent home. No requirement for further physio/crutches etc. and I just went for a follow up to make sure it was still all OK after. I think they X-Rayed again at that point. Recovery was nowhere near as bad as the original break - not even close.

I now run and lift without problem. The only ongoing ankle problems I have are not related to the second surgery - ie. shortened Achilles tendon, stiffness in damp weather and the morning, occasional soreness. The latter has improved gradually especially over the last few years but I'd have had these regardless. I do think the symptoms you describe seem very similar to mine and relate to the actual break and probable tendon issues rather than the hardware although of course your medical practitioner will be able to tell you more. It's only early days for your injury too - my swelling alone took about 12 months to totally go so you may still be looking at some soft tissue injury as well. Take medical advice but don't forget that over the next few more years it should gradually ease... I hope it gets better soon :smile:
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I just came across this thread in my old bookmarks (having a tidy-up), and thought I'd update...

I actually ended up talking to my doctor after about 3 years of having the metal in my ankle. I was still having a fair amount of discomfort, and decided I wanted to exhaust my options for improving it as I have plenty of years of walking ahead of me (I hope!).

I got a referral to the surgeon, and last year I had the plates and screws removed around 18 months ago.

It was such a different experience- I went into the clinic at about 9:30am, and walked out of there by 2:30pm - yes WALKED out of there! I was wearing a moonboot for the next couple of weeks, but able to hobble around quite well without any need for crutches.

After the straightforward recovery, I found I have gained back a lot more range of movement than I had before, and a lot less pain. I don't have a screw at the edge of my ankle bone that meant I could feel it just lying on my side.
    This winter has also been much better, and the cold doesn't really bother my ankle (I do still love my knitted socks though).

Now I don't generally even notice that I have a "bad" ankle - it's pretty normal for most things, though I do think twice about jumping off things etc - probably a mental hangup as much as a physical one, since I did all the damage just hopping off a low step and landing on an uneven bit of path.

Here's my little bundle of scrap metal:

j74vn99g0fdf.jpg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Glad the hardware removal worked well for you in relieving the pain and improving the ROM.

I have about the same amount of hardware in my rt ankle from surgery over 30 yrs ago.

Was told then that I could have the hardware removed after the bones healed completely but I never bothered because it never bothered me.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've got a plate and screws in my right ankle that were placed there after a motorcycle accident over 30 yrs ago. Never caused me a problem, so I never bothered having them removed.

I think it's just a matter of personal choice. It's been about a yr since your ankle surgery, so the likelihood of it getting better at this point, while unlikely, is still possible. So, you may want to give it a litle more time.

On the other hand, if it's really bothering you, you really have no other recourse but to remove the plate and see what happens. You just have to decide whether the additional surgery and recovery time is worth the inconvenience and effort.

You're the only one who can make that decision. Good luck!

Yep.. 20 years ago for me, pins and plate outside left ankle and a long screw on the inside of ankle. Took a long time to recover as I got infection. I've had no trouble really so haven't bothered with having hardware removed. My left ankle looks a little thicker than the other and I maybe don't have quite the same range of movement , but that's all. I do have a treadmill with a shock absorbing deck I think that helps.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I broke my Rt ankle once & my Lt ankle 2X , the 2nd time with a tib/fib bone graft . Each time I had the hardware removed. after a year or so. By then the bone is healed, it will re-model to fill the screw holes and in the long run probably be stronger, and definatly feel better.
  • kwil76
    kwil76 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I would like to share my story. May 5, 2018 I fell 15 feet and suffered a compound fracture. I broke my ankle and shattered my heel. I started with 35 screws and two plates. Nov. I had some screws removed from the right side of my ankle because they were protruding and causing pain. At the same time my surgeon also performed an Achilles tenotomy to see if it would improve my ROM. I had 3 surgeries between May and Nov. 2018. Now, I have 25 screws and 1 plate. I started the couch to 5k last week. I thought that would be the best route to go getting back into running. I do have minor pain and I can definitely feel the hardware. I have noticed that warming up and stretching is an imperative. Everyone heals differently and yes my docs told me I may not be able to run and I was told I shouldn’t run. But, I decided that if people with prosthetics can run, I can run with my 25 screws and plate. Take it slow and build yourself up. Like I said I do have some pain, but it has gotten easier since last week.