Adapting to overnights

Options
So I have a question. Currently, I work overnight shift, and want to start working out or at least try to stay active.

Anyone else work overnights? For me specifically I work between 11pm to 7am.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but I work security at a hotel that is 27th floors. So walking is available. I also have access to free weights.

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i usually sleep two "shifts" and used to work overnight. i used to go to a 24 hour gym whenever i could, which was often, as well as a second gym if i preferred to work out during the day.

walking is a great way to stay fit if you are walking continuously without stopping - if you have to stop frequently, it may not have as much benefit, but it still keeps you moving.

do you have access to free weights at home or at work? if you usually work graveyard, find a time that suits you to work out. maybe not long after you wake up and before work? or if it feels better to you, maybe after work.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I rotate 12-hour shifts; for 28 days I work 6am - 6pm and then for the next 28 days I work 6pm - 6am. I train before work regardless of whether I'm on day or night shift.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hr shifts, rotating from days to nights every 2 months and have been for a little over 3 years. I started working out mid June of this year. It was a struggle but I’ve found consistency and a schedule to be everything. My days on I go to the gym before work and am thankful to have a gym at work as well as the opportunity to use it on shift. I stay on the same sleeping/working out schedule on my days off but transitioning from days to nights are always a little tricky.

Your access to 27 floors and free weights is a start while at work. Maybe work out before work if possible. Everyone’s different but I find I have more energy throughout my day when I work out before work, working out after work wires me up and affects my sleep...
  • AdderlyM
    AdderlyM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have access to the weights at work, since it has a gym. However, since we are security, we can’t utilize it since we may get a call at any moment.

I think I will try both going before and after gym, to see what works more for me. Before I used to go right after work, that way I can burn whatever energy I had left for the day.
    i usually sleep two "shifts" and used to work overnight. i used to go to a 24 hour gym whenever i could, which was often, as well as a second gym if i preferred to work out during the day.

walking is a great way to stay fit if you are walking continuously without stopping - if you have to stop frequently, it may not have as much benefit, but it still keeps you moving.

do you have access to free weights at home or at work? if you usually work graveyard, find a time that suits you to work out. maybe not long after you wake up and before work? or if it feels better to you, maybe after work.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on your sleep schedule. When will you have more time and/or energy to work out? Before or after your shift? Trial and error, definitely. See what works for you but being able to walk a 27-story building is a great bonus!
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also work overnight 11p-7a (at work right now as I write this lol). I work at a gym so like you, I have the ability to walk a lot during my shift (I shoot for my 10,000 steps before I get off work). Also like you, I can’t lift the weights during my shift. I work out when I get out at 7a (usually 4-5 days a week). I’m usually home and showered by 9:30a. Eat, watch a little tv and get to bed by 11-noon. I’ve lost 10 lbs over the last month with this schedule. I’ve considered getting up and working out before work but I feel like I have more energy when I get out of work and have been up for 9 hours already