What strange beasts we are.

Options
I blew it today.
BLEW IT.
Scoffed unthinkingly. Didn’t log. Ate to beyond full. Took no exercise. Am currently sitting on the sofa now, clutching a glass of wine and feeling physically uncomfortable.

Am also taking a moment to observe myself with a fair degree of wonder at how I can have slipped from being so brilliantly “on it” over the past 1.5 months (including some highly stressful moments) to being so utterly out of control. A big fail today.

I pledge to do better tomorrow and to get back to the place I was at recently, where the “good track” had started to feel like second nature. Please help me with a word or two of encouragement. I could really do with it tonight....

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Just a blip in the journey. It's totally okay to be frustrated, but the forgiveness train is waiting so you can get back on. And even if you don't get back on perfectly, just making the effort to transition back is enough.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Me too, Griz. It’s just a day and tomorrow is a new one. Here’s to tomorrow , we’ll slay it!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I blew it today.
    BLEW IT.
    Scoffed unthinkingly. Didn’t log. Ate to beyond full. Took no exercise. Am currently sitting on the sofa now, clutching a glass of wine and feeling physically uncomfortable.

Am also taking a moment to observe myself with a fair degree of wonder at how I can have slipped from being so brilliantly “on it” over the past 1.5 months (including some highly stressful moments) to being so utterly out of control. A big fail today.

I pledge to do better tomorrow and to get back to the place I was at recently, where the “good track” had started to feel like second nature. Please help me with a word or two of encouragement. I could really do with it tonight....

Change the narrative. Make today part of your plan. Try to enjoy all that you have consumed. You took a momentary breather and tomorrow you will get back after it. The scale may go up because of water/waste fluctuations but in a few days it will go back down again.

The only problem that might exist is if you "rebel ate" because you have been to strict with yourself or trying to lose weight too fast. If you have what you believe is a sustainable system and you are being kind to yourself then this is most likely a breather.

I would try and log it but I know I was not as disciplined 6 weeks in and let a few of these types of days go mostly unrecorded so I can't say much.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @MarcyMavin Thank you. A good message to wake up to this morning. I am ready to slay it today.

@Cahgetsfit It seems that getting back on it is the key to success here. i.e. not what we do when we’re at the top but how high we bounce when we hit the bottom - and all that. Thank you.

@NovusDies There’s that concept of rebel eating again. This thread has really brought it to light for me. I’m not going to change my plan off the back of it - as my first 6 weeks have been working and I like reframing it as “a breather” - but if this happens again - I’ll definitely amend things. It’s a good idea to go back and log it. I haven’t done it so far, not so much through lack of discipline - but because I didn’t want to confront it. I feel I should. Thanks for the wise words.

Seems like you have a good handle on it for now. What I find is that after it is logged it is never as bad as I have imagined.

Once you get your eating under control weight loss happens mostly between the ears. That is something that took me too long to figure out. Managing my mental state is my primary concern and now. I start my own controlled burn from time to time instead of letting myself get to a snapping place. It happened more often at the beginning but that is to be expected. After the third month I did need it as much. Now I am generally happy waiting until I have scheduled maintenance eating for an event/holiday/vacation/whatever.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Log it, learn from it and move on....
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Just keep on keeping on, and forgive yourself the blip. The worst thing I ever did (other than vowing that the diet would start on a Monday that never came) was to have a setback, decide I had failed and allow everything to go off track because I saw no point in carrying on.

Take care. You can do it!
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    @88olds Always such a source of sensible advice - thank you. As per @NovusDies advice, I DID log everything after all. I was surprised at the ACTUAL extent of the “damage”. Won’t share the actual number (for fear of judgement) but let’s just say it wasn’t nearly the disaster my head assumed it was. A bit of valuable perspective gained on my part.

@LivingtheLeanDream yes, Yes and YES! Keep it simple, right. Our silly brains do complicate matters sometimes.

Thanks @SnifterPug - you’re right. The worst thing I could do would be to look back at this moment in a few weeks’ time and realise I’ve lost the work of the last six weeks rather than only the last few days. Thanks for issuing the warning.

Brief update: today was better. Contrary to what I said, I decided to switch my weight loss goal down to only 0.5lbs a week. It bought me a valuable couple hundred calories today to “spend” on a mid-morning latte, which helped to keep me on track.

Thanks again all. Will close this now. I’ve definitely got over the worst and you all really helped when I needed it. X
  • Nukester88
    Nukester88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Back in 2015, I lost about 10 pounds over 6 weeks, then thanksgiving, and thanksgiving leftovers, happened. I gained 5 back and I basically gave up because if I can ruin almost a month of work over a few days it just wasn’t worth it. Well, I gained 1-2 pounds a month for the next 3 years and ended up 48 pounds over my original goal and 29 pounds over my original starting weight. It’s taken 3 months from when I said, “enough is enough”, just to get back to the weight I was after my thanksgiving binge that happened almost 4 years ago now. So don’t be like me, do what pps are saying, make your next choice a healthy one.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You don't have to be perfect.. it is getting back up on the horse and riding that matters. I can speak to you from experience.. it is perfectly natural to indulge and go off plan...but success hinges ABSOLUTELY.. on the ability to get right back on the next day. You can do this.. you needed a break for a day..and it will happen again. Trust yourself that you can jump right back to your healthy lifestyle. When you nail that.. you're going to make it all the way.