Do you trust MFP's Daily Expenditure?

Options
Do you trust the Daily Expenditure that MFP calculates for you? MFP has mine at 2080 but any other site as well as the Harris Benedict Formula says mine is typically 2400.

Replies

• Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have eaten according to the calculations on MFP for the last two and a bit months, and I have had exactly the rate of weight loss they predicted - so I do trust their calculations.
  • kittycat613
    kittycat613 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do trust their calculations. I've been on and off the wagon for quite some time now, but when I really buckle down and follow what they say, it is spot on for me.
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    its all a guesstimate. i have read my daily requirements to maintain my weight was 2300 as sedentary but mfp has me slightly lower. id like to lose 2lbs a week and my daily goals without exercise is around 1200... american heart association said sedentary id need 3000 calories to maintain.. so who knows.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I get the same result using MFP and the Harris Benedict Formula. Keep in mind that these are guidelines not an exact calculation for each person. If you start out eating 2400 calories and you are not achieving weight loss at the desired rate (up to 2 lbs/week would be considered healthy) you might adjust your numbers.
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost 33 pounds so far by following their Daily allotted calories for me. So yes, I guess I do.
  • tnknights
    Options
    I do. I've been doing this 28 weeks and averaged 2 pounds lost per week. That was my goal.
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The expenditure takes into account how much you want to lose per week. I aim for 2lb a week, but currently at 3lb a week due probably because of the cardio exercise. It is a question on what you are actually losing - sticking to an amount by any site is no use if you are not losing or losing to your desired rate.
  • kooshajan
    kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Perfect, just wanted to see peoples opinions. Congratulations on all of your success! :)
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    The expenditure takes into account how much you want to lose per week. I aim for 2lb a week, but currently at 3lb a week due probably because of the cardio exercise. It is a question on what you are actually losing - sticking to an amount by any site is no use if you are not losing or losing to your desired rate.

i have been eating like a bird (figure of speech) mine is set at 2lb pound a week loss and i havent lost anything since the first week. although the first week i lost 6lbs. total confusion.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I "trust" it, but trial and error is the best way to really run the test as everyone's body works slightly differently anyway.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I did at first, but now...eh, not so much. I haven't really lost weight for a few months now. I'll have to check out that other scale.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP doesn't work for me. It doesnt account for my lean body mass.The more muscle you have, the less accurate this site's predictions because. I have used the Katch McArdle formula to calculate more caloric needs as it incorporates your LBM. I also have found this site tends to underestimate on several peoples needs. This becomes a lot more apparent as you get close to your goal.