Question on losing 2 lbs/wk please?

Options
Something doesn't sound correct to me. I understand that IF I want to lose 2 lbs/wk, I have to take in 7000 calories LESS/wk meaning 1000 less/day. If I'm NOT to eat less than 1200 cals/day, how can I just eat 1000 calories/day to lose that 2 lbs/wk? I presently weigh 158.5 lbs...I would like to lose 20 lbs and am active athletically and over 65 yrs old, female and 5ft 4inches... Any honest answers would definitely be appreciated...thank you ahead of time.

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    You can speed up weight loss by exercising. That's what I'm doing. Something to consider is that a person's metabolism reduces when eating less to lose weight. I've seen 6% reduction thrown around, but really, if you are losing 1 kg a month, your metabolism is likely slow down less than if you are losing 1 kg a week.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    A scale is just a tool, one of many at your disposal. Some people find it motivating and useful, and others find it very demoralizing. You lose weight from eating less food, not from getting on a scale, so if it stresses you out, once per two weeks would make good sense.
  • karinasepilogue
    karinasepilogue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the suggestions. I've decided to try carb cycling and it was very helpful my first week. While I know I won't lose quickly every week, it will keep my metabolism moving PLUS I've added some hiking and walking to keep things moving. There are many videos on here that members have posted which answered my questions...
  • karinasepilogue
    karinasepilogue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Evening TeaBea, I did read the link on skinny-fat and didn't feel it applied to me since I am very athletic, playing tennis several times/wk, golf once/wk, walk and do hike hills in the state forest. I have always been approx. 20 lbs overweight and do eat healthy carbs so haven't given them up. I'm just cycling them, some higher days and have at least 50 carbs/day on low days. I do ensure I get plenty of protein also and drink lots of water. Thanx for your suggestion.