Super Discouraged.... Please Help!

So I've been exercising and keeping track of my meals for a month and have lost 10 pounds. However, for the past two weeks, I did gain a pound, am keeping track of everything, but no luck even though I'm following the meal tracking and everything. I do stress eat and have a high stress career.... need motivation to lose the next 25 pounds... (P.S. I'm not a very vigorous exerciser but I do exercise at least 4 times a week.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    When you're close to goal, the weight loss is much slower.

Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process. Exercise can cause water retention as your muscles repair the microtears. You just need to be patient.

What do you have set as your weight loss per week?

Age, height, starting weight, current weight, goal weight?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    You’ve lost 10 lbs in a week. No need to be discouraged. Fluctuations will happen and your weight often bumps up on the scale for a week or two. Just keep tracking with a sensible deficit
  • ldrake871
    ldrake871 Posts: 2 Member
    Usually when you start weight loss it drops quickly in the beginning then it will slow down or plateau. Sometimes you will gain and then lose even with following your meal plan. Don’t give up tho! You can do it.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Weight loss will never be linear. There are going to be ups and downs, and plateaus. You just gotta take a deep breath and keep going.

You’ve lost TEN POUNDS in a month! That’s fantastic!

Are you using a food scale and weighing everything? Are you being realistic in your weekly and monthly weight loss goals? Remember to be kind to yourself, and remember that this is a long process that will test your patience. Be patient! Be consistent. It’s going to work.
  • charbabe7602
    charbabe7602 Posts: 28 Member
    I set a weight loss goal of 1.5 pounds per week and have lost 10 pounds in a month (maybe a month and a week). I started at 169 and now weigh 159 at 5'4". My goal weight would be 125-130 pounds and Im not in a rush to do it, but I think I got too excited when the first 10 pounds dropped.

I haven't used a food scale, but I do own one. I might have to revisit how I'm utilizing my "cheat" meals and maybe that is part of what is slowing me down. There is one day of the week (Saturday) where I don't sleep as well and maybe that could be a part of it. I have to learn how to manage my stress better without thinking or reaching for something to eat. I've been able to stop myself most times, but I have that propensity to comfort eat (which I've improved VASTLY and can say I do less of, maybe even 90% less of)
  • denjan333
    You don’t have a lot of weight to lose, so a scale will be your best bet right now. Also I recommend you aim for .5 to 1 lb per week weight loss. Ten lbs in your first month was really a big loss. As you get closer to your ideal weight it gets more difficult to stay in a large enough deficit to lose 1.5-2 lbs a week. Definitely be patient. No reason to frustrate yourself with unrealistic expectations.
  • charbabe7602
    Thank you so much! what percentage of macros do you use for weight loss of 1 pound a week?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Thank you so much! what percentage of macros do you use for weight loss of 1 pound a week?

Whatever percentage fits your calorie goal.
  • denjan333

Macros are not that important unless you have some reason to avoid things (like you’re diabetic). Just put your info into MFP and tell the app you want to lose 1 lb per week. It will give you the required calories per day to achieve your goal. I recommend eating back about half your exercise calories as well. The reason for half is that the calories expended that MFP gives for most exercise is overestimated. If you can, use a heart rate monitor for a more accurate read of calories burned. Personally, I use a Polar A360 watch.
  • charbabe7602
    wow, thats great. i have been focusing on that too much, i think
  • ewzgordon
    ewzgordon Posts: 2 Member
    I’m also a stress eater and work in a high stress environment. I’ve recently started to try to hold myself accountable - 5 days strong! All I can say is weight loss is not a linear path. You’ll gain, you’ll lose. There are so many factors that can influence those #s - including muscle gains. That’s why the scale is not such a great friend to us. Stay positive and stick to you nutrition goals. 🤗 You can do this!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Don’t over-complicate! If your calorie deficit is sensible (not too aggressive), stick with it. If you are consistent about hitting your target, you will lose weight. Don’t over-worry about macros or other things. Patience and consistency is the key. Read the weight-fluctuations article linked above; so helpful in cutting through the daily bumps and seeing through to the long term weight trend! (Also important: weigh your food at home so you get comfortable with what servings look like.)
  • "Patience and consistency is the key." - @gallicinvasion you said all there is to say right there. We all want quick results and like yesterday but healthy lifestyle and healthy living is forever. Losing weight is just the result of that.
  • charbabe7602
    ewzgordon wrote: »
    I’m also a stress eater and work in a high stress environment. I’ve recently started to try to hold myself accountable - 5 days strong! All I can say is weight loss is not a linear path. You’ll gain, you’ll lose. There are so many factors that can influence those #s - including muscle gains. That’s why the scale is not such a great friend to us. Stay positive and stick to you nutrition goals. 🤗 You can do this!

I love that... 5 days strong...! I can't wait to do the same and then keep adding days to that!

• charbabe7602
    Don’t over-complicate! If your calorie deficit is sensible (not too aggressive), stick with it. If you are consistent about hitting your target, you will lose weight. Don’t over-worry about macros or other things. Patience and consistency is the key. Read the weight-fluctuations article linked above; so helpful in cutting through the daily bumps and seeing through to the long term weight trend! (Also important: weigh your food at home so you get comfortable with what servings look like.)

I FINALLY overcame the plateau and it really was because I decided not to overcomplicate it and let go of the technicalities!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member

I FINALLY overcame the plateau and it really was because I decided not to overcomplicate it and let go of the technicalities!
    Hooray, congrats!