What happened when you stopped lifting weights?

2»

Replies

• NataliaLueck
    NataliaLueck Posts: 16 Member
    First I lost weight, then I gained fat and got flabby. I also felt weaker (hiking uphill without lifting was much more difficult). All this over 2-3 months. I immediately noticed a positive difference as soon as I started lifting again.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I got weaker, gained bodyfat, and become sore all the time.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited September 2019
    Both gained and lost wt while "in maintenance" between 150-160 but also lost strength, lost muscle mass and gained fat, the latter 2 results also contributing to an increase in BF% from about 10 to 16% at a current wt of 150, based on DEXA and hydro testing.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I’m 2 weeks and 4 days out from surgery, still not cleared to lift until at least next week. I feel flabby and my well-muscled (to me) back looks soft and fluffy. I’m the same weight, but pants and shirts are fitting differently—midsection/hips are bigger and so clothes tighter. A bit is still that the muscle and skin in the bigger incision haven’t totally healed, so there’s a little protrusion there, but some is just puffy.

I’m cleared for lower impact cardio and some non-core (so lower body mostly) body weigh stuff, which I’m doing and hate every second of. I’m trying to be patient and let things heal and I am quite frustrated (MD husband continually warns me of looming hernia if I overdo it, so I am complying with gritted teeth).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    anewell28 wrote: »
    Just curious... seems like the opposite question to ask
    Did you get smaller? Softer?
    What about just a break from weight training? Any differences in body or mind or strength?

I fractured my knee cap in February and I'm just now getting back to the weight room as I spent the summer just focusing on my cycling.

I'm basically starting from scratch...I can't push or pull even close to the weight I was before.

I'm the same weight right now as I was when I stopped lifting, but I'm noticeably softer with a higher BF%

I look like I used to lift, but gave it up

Aches and pains that dissipated with regular strength training have returned.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I stopped weight training for about a year and a half due to some life insanity. I ended up having two hip surgeries because my glutes got really weak, other muscles started compensating and that tore up my joint cartilage. I will also say, based on my surgery recovery experience, that muscle loss and atrophy will start within 1-2 weeks depending on the muscle condition. I occasionally take a week off for a vacation or because I’ve pushed myself too hard and my body is screaming at me but I don’t think I will ever just totally stop weight training ever again.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    2 month break (bench and deadlifts) due to a shoulder injury. I lost some strength but not a HUGE amount....I was able to get back to the same bench strength in about a month-month and a half (intentionally starting slowly).

No significant changes to my appearance...I continued to squat and work my lower body harder to compensate for the break in upper body movements.

I just changed my focus to building lower body, so I didnt get discouraged and quit completely.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I lost strength, I lost definition, and gained weight. Of course it coincided with making poor dietary choices as well so .......
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I lost motivation and gave up on eating right and healthy choices too. Gained 100 lbs in the next 15 years....Last April had many health scares and so far have dropped 70 lbs and am back to weight training 3 times a week and cardio the other 3.. age 54 and feel like a new man
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I had to stop lifting heavy a few months ago per my PT. I had developed severe muscle imbalance and inflammation issues from not taking enough recovery time after injuries.

I definitely don’t feel as strong and feel a little “fluffier”. I still do Jazzercize and trail run so the different isn’t dramatic though
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I Stopped for 6 months and of course I got weaker. I lost a little muscle, but not as much as I thought I would. I also gained about 20 lbs but that was mostly because of my diet.