How to handle tough calorie days

Options
During the week I am consistent at staying within my calorie goal. However, on Sundays my husband and I will often eat out after church. I try hard to choose healthy foods at lunch but the calories add up quickly. Then in the evenings a lot of times we will visit my parents for a family meal. Again I try to eat smaller potions but the calories sky rocket. I know that some people have cheat days etc., but I would really like to stay with in my calorie goal as much as possible every day of the week. Any suggestion that might help?

Replies

• peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I recently started incorporating 2 maintenance days into my calorie plan, as well as eating 300 cals below maintenance 5 days out of the week, for a total of 1,500 calories below maintenance per week, or losing a little less than half a pound a week.

You could maybe consider incorporating days at maintenance by eating maintenance on Sunday, maybe also restricting a tad more other days too, could help with adherence and learning to maintain as well.
  • raini38
    raini38 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I learned a little something from each of them. I am a simple woman so the simpler I can keep things, the more apt I am to stick with it.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The other thing you can do is to plan more exercise on Saturday and/or Sunday to ‘bank’ some calories. This usually covers my Sunday brunches that I both eat and drink. I typically earn 200ish calories/day during the week from exercise which brings my goal to around 1400. On The weekends I have more time to exercise so my goal intake on those days is 1900ish I still eat ~1500 on Saturday so I’ve essentially banked 400 calories with an hour of exercise, if I manage that on Sunday too, then I’m looking at 800 calories to play with.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Restaurant portions are usually huge, 2-4 times what we might serve ourselves at home. Choose calorie friendly options, split your meal in half before you take a bite, and take the rest home for additional meals. Bring a cooler and ice pack with you if you’re concerned about spoilage
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At the restaurant, order a To Go box with your entree. Put half of it in the box before you take a bite. Skip the dessert.

At the in-laws, use small plates.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I found an easy solution for myself: I weigh myself Monday mornings. Voila!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont typically 'indulge' in 2 meals in one day that are higher in calorie. not without working out to earn some of those calories, anyways. If my hubby and I eat any meal out, we will (errr *I* lol) will have a lighter calorie dinner, or even no dinner, depending on what time we ate. We go to bed ~8pm, so if we have a big lunch at 2 ... im not going to want dinner.

Maybe you and your husband can decide beforehand if you will do lunch out OR the family dinner. one. not both.

or, fit in a (few) extra workouts to accommodate that food, or cut back elsewhere during the week.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem and knew that eating at my parents place was near impossible to limit my calories. Being Italian, just so many yummy choices and saying no to my moms offerings was a sure way to get a smack in the head :smile:
    I skipped lunch on those days. But in the end, I pretty much knew I was not able to stay under my limit that day. AS mentioned above, save up for those days and make sure your weekly budget is met!

I think your best way to cut back on some calories is at the restaurant. I found a few things at restaurants that are reasonable calorie hits.
    1. order breakfast if they serve it all day. I almost never over-eat breakfast food and love breakfast food any time of the day.
    2. Liquids...If I'm eating out its water or diet pop for me. Otherwise including refills which seem to come often, you can drink upwards of 300+ calories. Limit or skip alcohol entirely if you can for the same reason.
    3. I always order a simple garden salad with light dressing on the side and can control my intake. Might not be the most filling thing in the world but I find when I eat it slowly, it keeps me from eating mindlessly,