Elliptical & Feet pins and needles

After I use the elliptical for about 20 minutes my feet start to feel like pins and needles. If I walk on the treadmill I dont get this feeling at all. Can anyone help me out or suggest something to prevent my feet from falling asleep on the elliptical?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited September 2019
    Lift your feet occasionally, because the constant pressure on one spot can cause that. Also try loosening your laces.
  • valsamik
    valsamik Posts: 2 Member
    I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2019
    Lifting your feet, wiggling your toes or going in reverse a little helps. I use the elliptical 60 mins a day a good 6x a week, the numbing/ pins and needle feeling usually starts a good 50 mins in. Thankfully it takes that long making it easier to push through.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    How do you do 60 min on the elliptical? I can only do 10 (hangs head in shame).
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Loosen your shoes. Most of my foot problems due to walking were resolved by loosening my shoes/changing the lace configuration.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    It may be a little tough to gauge at first, but try to stay mindful of weight distribution. The elliptical trainer is a “one size fits all” machine that can be very unnatural until one finds their own correct posture. The peddle will not conform with the natural movement of your foot, so it’s easy for your toes to end up bearing that weight in the same repeated motion, leading to strain, numbness, etc. I’ve found that making sure my whole foot participates in the strides helps a lot. This can slow down my distance and pace, but I find it gives a better workout and I walk out of there feeling my toes. Just a suggestion.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    How do you do 60 min on the elliptical? I can only do 10 (hangs head in shame).

I built up to it, took a good 2-3 months adding more time little by little. It was a struggle but is definitely worth the calorie burn. It gets easier with consistency and time 🙂
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Pretty common...that's why I hate that thing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2019
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pretty common...that's why I hate that thing.

This... plus other than burning calories, does not help you with any real-life activity, such as biking, running, walking, rowing, plyo, does. it can also lead to RSI as it is not a natural plane of motion for your body (arms and legs) So although a good calorie burner, I find more negatives with the elliptical than positive, unless it is the only cardio you can do.