Any swimmers/surfers here?

I surf and/or mostly ocean (or occasional pool) swim minimum 3x/week, sometimes more. I stretch before and after. I used to use the medicine ball and kettle bells to help with improving my surfing, but wish to change things up a bit.

What kind of routine do you have to incorporate other cardio and strength training?
Do you do other cardio or strength training the same day you swim or surf sometimes?
Before, after, and how long?
Or alternate on days off?
What exercises?

Looking for some new ideas. They don't have to be directly related to improving swim/surf, but I just want to make sure I get adequate cardio that's different from what I already do, and strengthen myself more in general.

Thanks!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I swim 2-3x week in pool or lake in summer. I consider that to be my cardio. On alternate days I weight train. Although this summer I biked in many of the alternate days. That’s also cardio but it also helped build up my legs. My weight training took a back seat because I had difficulty biking after weights. With the seasonal change upon us my swimming goes back to the pool and weights will come back to the forefront.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Good to hear someone's routine. I need to make sure my body gets adequate rest as I balance swim/surf with other workouts. Since I'm in the water a lot, I may combine some weight training the same day as a swim to make sure I the strength exercises in during the week... but lighter or for lower body, if my upper body is tired. Still experimenting.
  • sectret
    sectret Posts: 1 Member
    I swim 3 times a Week for 1 hour slow or minimum 1000 meters in a swimminghall. I can not swim good and I´m on a waiting-list for personal swimtraining. So I started with "bad" swimming alone (and see the little children next swimming better) only to swim at all. I don´t be faster than 1100 - 1200 meters/hour. I go into the water and swimm slow without a break. It helped me first time really to get better shape and condition. In feb 2020 I will have my first training with a teachter to learn better swimming. I know that a training should have stronger intervalls an d breaks, but withou the right "technique" it hurts in the neck.
    My other trainings are 20 minutes/week EMS (Elektric training for the muscels; since 5 years) and I go to work by bike (2x25km at 3 of 5 days a weak the last 6 years), but that didn´t change anything in my weight or condition (we have no mountains). So I added this swimming.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    sectret wrote: »
    I swim 3 times a Week for 1 hour slow or minimum 1000 meters in a swimminghall. I can not swim good and I´m on a waiting-list for personal swimtraining. So I started with "bad" swimming alone (and see the little children next swimming better) only to swim at all. I don´t be faster than 1100 - 1200 meters/hour. I go into the water and swimm slow without a break. It helped me first time really to get better shape and condition. In feb 2020 I will have my first training with a teachter to learn better swimming. I know that a training should have stronger intervalls an d breaks, but withou the right "technique" it hurts in the neck.
    My other trainings are 20 minutes/week EMS (Elektric training for the muscels; since 5 years) and I go to work by bike (2x25km at 3 of 5 days a weak the last 6 years), but that didn´t change anything in my weight or condition (we have no mountains). So I added this swimming.
    Glad you’re getting started swimming. While waiting for classes, you may be able to benefit from you tube videos. Search for “Total Immersion” swimming. A lot of beginners find them quite helpful. Swimming is all about technique.

• surfbug808
    lorrpb wrote: »
    sectret wrote: »
    Glad you’re getting started swimming. While waiting for classes, you may be able to benefit from you tube videos. Search for “Total Immersion” swimming. A lot of beginners find them quite helpful. Swimming is all about technique.

Getting instruction in any sport or exercise is important for good form and technique, to avoid injury and better efficacy. Videos definitely can help. If you can have a friend or someone tape your swimming (even just a few meters), the visual feedback also helps. I've never tried EMS and am not familiar with it. Will look it up. I'm very fortunate in that I have several swim instructors, one for ocean long distance and others for the pool (since the conditions are different). As you get better technique you'll gain confidence. I don't bike anymore but am now looking for a new gym trainer to help organize my workouts.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    I swim as often as I can find pool time. Some weeks 3x some 0x. Thypically 2,500 to 3,500yds at a time. I lift mon/wed/fri, so some days I double up between lifting and swimming. If I can't hit the pool I'll run to try and keep my cardio up.
  • surfbug808
    Right now I think I might alternate swim/surf with strength training days. But I'll experiment with doubling up on some and see if my energy can sustain it. It's good to hear that it works for you. Time is a factor, since getting into the ocean takes up a good chunk of my day and I may not have time to do any other exercises. I plan on going to the pool today though, and heading to the gym tomorrow.