Can someone explain the daily summary to me?

Ok so I normally just use the app on the iphone and never get on the full website. Well I just noticed something that i can't put together and would like someone to explain to me because I never got the summary on the app that I did today.

GOAL=1200
Food=1528
Exercise was a -600
Net=928.

I just don't get this. How is my exercise a -600? I did work out this morning and I burnt 600 calories so that allowed me to eat 1800 calories for today and my net was 928. I just don't get how or why it says -600 for my exercise.

Replies

• Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    You burn calories when you exercise. So you burned 600 calories. Those calories come off your running total for the day. Your goal is to eat 1200 NET calories. So you are at 928...you need to eat more.

It's only saying negative 600 because it subtracts it from your goal amount. Hope that helps.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    You didn't eat 1800 calories. You at 1528. 1528-600 = 928. If you would have eaten 1800 calories, it would have been 1800-600 = 1200 and 1200 would have been your net.
  • Ok thanks I think I get it. So I have a goal of 1200 and I burned 600 so 1200-600=600 and would that make me need to eat 600 more calories to get to my 1200 for it not to be negative? Is the negative bad? Lol I may not be thinking to clearly its been a long hard day here at my house and my boys are being 100% all boy right now.. I need a vacation lol...
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    You want to get as close to your Net goal as possible. So if you burn 600 calories you should eat 600 extra calories. MFP calculates your deficit based on the net goal. :flowerforyou:

And, I have two girls, ages 2 and 3 so I totally know what it's like to have long days where you feel like you've lost your mind. :laugh:
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    if you exercise you eat back the calories. thats all.

You deduct you exercise from what you have eaten for the day

Since you ate 1528 MINUS the 600 exercise it becomes 928.

928 is how many calories you have left to eat today.
  • Ok thank you ladies!!! LOL Teresa my boys are 8 and 3 and they start a fight every night about bedtime and daddy works night shift so it's me to break them up lol.. I added you as a friend maybe we can support each other =)...
  • lumipower
    lumipower Posts: 5 Member
    Top left hand corner says pounds lost what does this mean?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    perhaps start a new thread lumipower - this one is 6 year old and on a different topic.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I know this is a zombie thread, but it's useful.

Does that mean that every day, technically "remaining" (on the assumption that food and exercise have been logged accurately) should be at zero?

I have to confess, I had been making sure I left a deficit every day - slightly larger in the beginning and very small in recent days as I approach maintenance. I eat minimum 1200 every day and to be honest, in recent days I've eaten up to 2000 calories a day and have still been able lose weight because of exercise calories but now I wonder if I have been double-deficiting myself? Hmm.
  • Glotia1963
    Glotia1963 Posts: 2 Member
    how can I add carbs to the daily food diary from a recipe instead of putting in all the ingredients.?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I know this is a zombie thread, but it's useful.

Does that mean that every day, technically "remaining" (on the assumption that food and exercise have been logged accurately) should be at zero?

I have to confess, I had been making sure I left a deficit every day - slightly larger in the beginning and very small in recent days as I approach maintenance. I eat minimum 1200 every day and to be honest, in recent days I've eaten up to 2000 calories a day and have still been able lose weight because of exercise calories but now I wonder if I have been double-deficiting myself? Hmm.

Yes.
  • quiksylver296
    lumipower wrote: »

Could you post a screenshot? Not sure what you're talking about.
  • quiksylver296
    edited September 2019
    Glotia1963 wrote: »
    how can I add carbs to the daily food diary from a recipe instead of putting in all the ingredients.?

You can't, unless you modify all the food entries you use to only have the carbs listed in their nutrition facts. Why would you even want to do this?

Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram.
    Fat is 9 calories per gram.

If you aren't tracking fats, you're not doing yourself any favors.

(Apparently this has become the "ask random questions" thread. :laugh:)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member

On the web version, at least, if you click on the home tab it says how many lbs a person's lost since logging their weight under said person's icon.
  • quiksylver296
    glassyo wrote: »

On the web version, at least, if you click on the home tab it says how many lbs a person's lost since logging their weight under said person's icon.

This? It means l'm down four pounds from the starting weight I entered when I created my MFP profile, @lumipower.

ozacmsdbdm24.jpg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member

This? It means l'm down four pounds from the starting weight I entered when I created my MFP profile, @lumipower.

ozacmsdbdm24.jpg

Yeah! It's sort of...um...self explanatory, in my opinion. :)
  • quiksylver296
    edited September 2019

ozacmsdbdm24.jpg

Yeah! It's sort of...um...self explanatory, in my opinion. :)

You and I are having the same thought.