Pasta Question

Options
Lesliecs
Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
So yesterday I tried some Spaghetti Squash with a delicious spicy marinara sauce. Well.... I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually hated the squash! I didn't even like the squash plain.... but I disliked it even more with the sauce. I just can get past the consistency of the strands I think.

So my question is..... does anyone have a recommendation for a healthier "real" pasta? I know there are a lot of new ones out there, but I'd like to try something someone else has already tried. I really like the angel hair, very thin spaghetti.

Spaghetti is not something I eat very often, but I guess I've decided if I AM going to eat it.... I want real pasta. I know, I know...... there are better options... but really.... any suggestions? :wink:

Replies

• sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    I like whole wheat or whole grain pasta. Gets your fiber in and to me I cant tell the difference except its more filling.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I like the Barilla plus whole grain pasta..not whole wheat which often times certain brands can be gross. They have thin spaghetti and I treat myself to it once every 2 weeks or so. Plus it has protein and fiber..I just try to watch how much of it I eat.
  • ckspores
    ckspores Posts: 52
    Options
    I do not dislike the squash but I think it is a pathetic excuse for real pasta.

If I'm going to eat pasta I try to eat whole grain pasta and watch my portions. I also bulk it up with veggies or a lean protein to make it a meal.

The other option that I have seen people try and enjoy is Tofu Shiraki Noodles (Hungry Girl loves them). I tried them and while I don't hate them, the texture isn't good as a pasta sub. I'd rather have the real thing.
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Eat whole wheat pasta as it has half the calories as regular pasta. Measure the quantity as it is killer to your calorie and carb intake.

Made that mistake the first week by not adding what I was eating with regular pasta and red sauce is loaded with sugar.

Add to food diary and check before you cook.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    I make my own homemade pasta with whole grain flour... super yummy and easy. I've also heard of using zuchinni ribbons as past but never tried it. I'm italian so I'm in the frame of mind that real pasta some of the time is fine especially if you dress it up with a primavera or load your gravy with veg.
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eat whole wheat pasta, if you like it...Or, if you want pasta, eat it...Its all about portion control...This site has taught me that I can eat what I want, just in moderation...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Zucchini ribbons or spirals; you may have cooked the squash too much. Like grain based pasta it should be al dente.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For me, life without pasta (or chocolate) isn't worth living. I'm willing to be smarter about both.

Ronzoni is a brand that makes a good "smart" whole grain pasta. I stock up when it goes on sale. Also, the GI diet book recommends eating pasta cooked "al dente". The less cooked it is, the more your body has to work to process it.

My Italian-sense hates it when I admit this... but I don't mind spaghetti squash instead of pasta now and then with a rich meat sauce. It can be super-watery though, so I always wring it dry in a clean (not linty!) dishtowel before serving.

Ultimately, it's the quantity that matters most. I'm learning to treat pasta as a side dish. :)

Good luck!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta regularly! I just don't eat as much as I used to, and try to have a salad or some steamed veg before I eat it so I'm fuller. I always make meals and think... This is diet food, but in 20 years when I'm STILL being good, am I going to be happy eating this? I'm not doing this for a week or a month, I'm doing it for life. And I am NOT going without pasta for the rest of my life!
  • rkboswell
    Options
    This is the spiral veggie slicer I use to make zucchini and summer squash pasta.
    It slices the veggies into long strands of "spaghetti".

I heat up the sauce, olive oil, etc... in the pan and then add the squash and cook til heated thru.
    It works really well. And zucchini is much easier to prepare than pasta or spaghetti squash...not to mention calories and carbs are almost non existent.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-48297-99-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314661987&sr=8-1
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely try some of your suggestions.....especially the whole wheat/grain pasta!