Wanted to throw the scale out the window.....%^&% thing..

Options
Just a vent day, sorry...I wanted to throw my scale out the window today. I have been working so hard and it hasn't moved lately. I see a personal trainer 3X a week, plus I do 60+ mins of cardio at least 3X a week. I eat sensibly and haven't cheated in months. I don't know why I care so much what the scale says...yesterday I noticed that I had to go to a smaller belt loop, so that was a success. For some reason, it does seem like as much of a success if the scale doesn't move. I know it's silly, but it is some kind of validation for some stupid reason. My trainer could tell that I was frustrated today and he told me to ditch the scale for a while so that I wouldn't be distracted. I ended up putting the scale in my deep freezer...it's frozen solid...I ain't stepping on that sucker anytime soon :-)

Replies

• warlocksmistress
    Options
    I ended up putting the scale in my deep freezer...it's frozen solid...I ain't stepping on that sucker anytime soon :-)

LOL!!!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Yup....it's a girl thing. For some reason we are so stuck on what the scale says!!!! Just get on it once a week. Good luck! Lisa
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Chances are you're gaining muscle which is good.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i hit my scale with a hammer so i have to buy a new one or go to the gym or something.

if i want to know my weight, that is.
  • NaughtyKnockers
    Options
    I don't trust scales! LOL! Well I have 2 at home I step on one and it says I'm 5 pounds heavier then 5 seconds later I do it again and I'm 3 pounds lighter! WTH!! LOL! So I gave up and just trust whatever that one at the doctors office tells them. Less work for me to worry about. I just keep working out as much as I can and eat right as much as possible which I know is harder then it ever sounds. But it's worth it! :D Keep going.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I ended up putting the scale in my deep freezer...it's frozen solid...I ain't stepping on that sucker anytime soon :-)

LOL!!!
    LMAO!!!!!
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know how you feel. I have also been doing everything right. and the scale hasnt budged in 2 weeks. I love that you put your scale in the freezer. LOL. I should probably do the same.
  • Estela565
    Options
    I felt like that today ... The scale at the gym says Iam 10 lbs heavier than what my scale at home says... So from now on the measuring tape will b my best friend :p
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My scale also gets on my nerves it changes to much. Either I gain, weight the same, or lost. Idk it is confusing I think I need to start getting me a measuring tape.
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    You have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Chances are you're gaining muscle which is good.

While I'm sure this is true, it wouldn't be reflected in the scale. It's more likely that it is water weight that is throwing off the scale from her expected weight. The math doesn't work out for the "gain muscle while losing fat, so it evens out" idea.

With hard work controlling diet and exercise, you can lose 2 lbs of fat a week safely. Works out to 104lbs a year you could potentially lose, if everything was ideal.

With intense resistance training and picture perfect nutrition (protein every 3 hours, proper hydration, etc) an average person can gain 5lbs of muscle a year. Young men in their late teens or early 20s often blow this figure clean out of the water, some outliers putting on as much as 20 pounds in a year. Keep in mind that they'd likely have gained 10-15 pounds anyway, just due to hormone levels causing a bulking up period naturally in a man's life at this time.

I don't mean to harsh on the original poster's dilemma, as I've been there myself, but I'd be quicker to blame water weight than anything. Intense training in a gym does damage to muscle tissues and muscles will retain water during recovery periods, the big muscles in your legs can store several pounds of excess water sometimes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wouldn't stress out over it. I woudl suggest taking some pictures so you can compare before and after. it's a better indicator of success. Also look to take measurements. The combination of the two will give you a better picture. Also, I hope you are getting some weight training because that will help increase your metabolism which should that weight issue.
  • Hfxgal
    Hfxgal Posts: 57
    Options
    I am going to make the measuring tape my new best friend starting tomorrow. I will go to Home Depot and see if the hot guy can find one for me ;-)
  • winnalinna
    winnalinna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to work for Weight watchers. When people plateaued and stopped losing, our leader told them for one week drop back 200 calories a day. It kinda jump started things. ALSO the water is soooooooo very important. You have to drink at least 48 oz. of water a day. It makes such a difference. Having to tighten your belt is wonderful! You're losing inches. Try not to be discouraged. It will happen! Seriously track your food,try not to estimate calories in your favor. Never weigh more than once a week. One of the sayings of the week when I worked there that was my favorite was: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." You can do this!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am going to make the measuring tape my new best friend starting tomorrow. I will go to Home Depot and see if the hot guy can find one for me ;-)

Now that is a great way to look at it...
  • SeanMurphy
    Options

Which Home Depot / Hot Guy? Clayton Park or Dartmouth Crossing? I might know guys who work at the crossing one :)
  • Hfxgal
    Hfxgal Posts: 57
    Options
    haha...can't tell ya.....lol
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Haha, I posted a topic titled almost exactly the same earlier. It's a rough day for weigh-ins. I decided that instead of sitting at my desk crying (which I was, in abundance) I would throw on some loud music and get my first day of C25K done and over with. I'm going to try eating all of my calories for a few days (I have a really hard time with that, I hate eating when I'm not hungry, especially when the scale is being a nasty *kitten* to me) and see if that helps out.
    Kinda scared...even worse then the scale not going down is it going up.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Actually muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. But muscle takes up less space than fat. It's like bricks and feathers- a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers weigh the same but which takes up more space? The feathers of course. So you can be losing fat and gaining muscle- the scales don't change but the muscle takes up less space so you look better. When I have bad scale days but I know my clothes have gotten loser I think to myself "no one knows what the scale said when I got on it but everyone can see me so the appearance is what matters".
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Actually, you are supposed to have 64 oz of water a day. It's reccomended to have at least 8, 8oz glasses of water per day. :)