Carbs vs net carbs

Hi. Why doesn’t the premium count only net carbs. Trying to keep macros consistent for keto

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Many people want to count all carbs. More significantly, it's impossible to automatically count net carbs, because some labels (from pretty much anywhere but the US and Canada) are already net carb and subtracting fiber would mess them up. Others are created as net carb by users. Rather than some automatic process, why not create your own or -- even easier -- if you consistently use US or Canadian nutrition information, track fiber and do the incredibly simple basic math subtraction in your head. This is what I did when briefly doing keto, and I liked it better than any net carb method since I thought it was important to keep track of my fiber anyway.
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    MFP does not offer a net carb option. You can either just manually subtract your fiber intake from your carbs, or use a different tracking site/app. Both Carb Manager and cronometer offer net carb tracking options.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Cronometer (which is a great site if you want to track nutrition and the one I mostly use when logging) is able to do net carbs because it has a much smaller database mostly consisting of whole food entries from the US and Canada.

MFP is unlike it, because it has a much much larger database that is also international.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    joya2018 wrote: »
    Hi. Why doesn’t the premium count only net carbs. Trying to keep macros consistent for keto

Because changing the entire huge database is too big of a task, especially because it is only a small number of users who are counting net carbs. Most count total carbs.