Any tips on not eating so late?

Options
I grew up in a house where my dad worked midnights and mom wanted us all to eat as a family, So I would never eat dinner until after 8pm. Then be in bed by 11. Now that I am married and on my own, the same pattern is going on so I can eat with my husband(8pm). So any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Just eat late. It won't hurt you.
  • Newbiez
    Newbiez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    what if you ate the bulk of your dinner around 6 and had a light snack with your husband when he got home? Or just sit with him while he eats his dinner and sip some hot tea.. this way you are still spending time with him but not eating when it is going to be harmful to you acheiving your goals...?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Eating late does NOT hurt you at all. Big fat myth
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

This. :drinker:
  • Fatphuck
    Fatphuck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do not eat late ...others that say different don't know your body and metabolism. I personally have found that eating after 7pm makes me feel like **** the next day, this feeling starts a cycle that viciously repeats itself. You'll wake up and not be hungry because you ate so late. Youll also not feel like exercising with that stomachy fullness so you'll skip that workout. Later you'll be starving because you didn't eat earlier, so you'll eat a lot more which just fuels the fire that this cycle runs on.

No offense to others but if I listened to that bad advice I'd be in deeper doo doo than I already am. Hope this helps. Sounds like we may have a similar habit. Friend me if you want
  • lisab64
    lisab64 Posts: 26
    Options
    Have to agree with the ones who are saying that eating late won't hurt you.... I eat the majority (well over half) of my calories from suppertime on and managed to lose the weight I wanted (55+ pounds) without any setbacks or slowdowns. Course I don't eat supper as late but...............you probably stay up alot later than I do also.
  • Fatphuck
    Fatphuck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Look at the people telling you it's ok to eat late , they are all within a few pounds of fitness give or take. None of them are heavily overweight like you or me. Be careful and think of yourself first
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Look at the people telling you it's ok to eat late , they are all within a few pounds of fitness give or take. None of them are heavily overweight like you or me. Be careful and think of yourself first
    I guess I'm qualified to say it: it really doesn't matter. It is a myth. Calories taken in in a 24 hour period don't matter as long as you stay in deficit if you're losing weight. It's been scientifically tested and proven.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I eat all the way up until 9pm and then I go to bed at 11. To me, eating late is eating RIGHT before bed. :)
  • killagb
    Options
    Do not eat late ...others that say different don't know your body and metabolism. I personally have found that eating after 7pm makes me feel like **** the next day, this feeling starts a cycle that viciously repeats itself. You'll wake up and not be hungry because you ate so late. Youll also not feel like exercising with that stomachy fullness so you'll skip that workout. Later you'll be starving because you didn't eat earlier, so you'll eat a lot more which just fuels the fire that this cycle runs on.

No offense to others but if I listened to that bad advice I'd be in deeper doo doo than I already am. Hope this helps. Sounds like we may have a similar habit. Friend me if you want

It's not bad advice...obviously you personally have digestive issues that bother you by eating late, I personally eat late all the time and have NO issues what-so-ever. It's not bad advice, Fatphuck, it's reality.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "go ahead and eat late" camp. I've done this the whole time I've been losing weight (and I started in the obese category).

As I've said before, and will say it again: The body is a 24/7 shop. It doesn't send your dinner to your hips because it's after 8 PM.
  • ckspores
    ckspores Posts: 52
    Options
    I like to eat dinner with my husband and on nights I work until 9:00 p.m. we often eat dinner at 9:30 when I get home.

It doesn't bother my weight loss at all, but I have found it impacts other areas of my life (quality sleep, water retention, weird dreams etc).
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eating late is a long time debate. Scientific studies have shown that you need at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed. Also well proven that eating carbs for dinner are detrimental. Mostly because carbs unlike protein are a "use it or store it" so if they are not used immediately they will be stored as fat (Also why it is best to eat carb in small portion throughout the day rather than a big meal full of starch). If you eat late chances are you are not going to use them because you will go from dinner to TV, etc.. It is recommended to eat before 7pm.

Of course eating late won't kill you but it will not optimize your weight loss. I agree with someone earlier, eat your dinner before hand, maybe have a yoghurt or tea with him.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

This. :drinker:

^^this too!!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I don't agree with anything you said, sorry. Whenever I eat right before I go to bed I wake up ravenous. It's a myth that eating late makes you gain more weight, so it just depends on your own body and what you as an individual want to do. There is no right or wrong to this.
  • killagb
    Options
    Eating late is a long time debate. Scientific studies have shown that you need at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed. Also well proven that eating carbs for dinner are detrimental. Mostly because carbs unlike protein are a "use it or store it" so if they are not used immediately they will be stored as fat (Also why it is best to eat carb in small portion throughout the day rather than a big meal full of starch). If you eat late chances are you are not going to use them because you will go from dinner to TV, etc.. It is recommended to eat before 7pm.

Of course eating late won't kill you but it will not optimize your weight loss. I agree with someone earlier, eat your dinner before hand, maybe have a yoghurt or tea with him.

I'd love to see these so called scientific studies you speak of. The only fact that there is with regards to eating before bedtime, is that you MIGHT have worse sleep because of it(from digestion), which COULD in turn cause you to not want to workout and so on. This is not a hard and fast rule for everyone, not by any means. If you are under your calorie intake compared to what your body is burning...guess what...you aren't going to magically store fat just because it's late. I'd really love to see some backing to these scientific studies you're referencing...because I honestly don't believe it. Just sayin...
  • killagb
    Options

Yeah, take a GOOD look at me...and how I started July 5th and lost 15 pounds since then...I surely don't know what I'm talking about, do I?
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with the you are not eating too late group. Are you not losing weight? What else are you doing? Are you eating throughout the whole day? I work rotating swing shifts where I'm up all night eating and I reached my goal about a month ago.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Wouldn't the fact that people giving that advice are "within a few pound of fitness" make the advice credible?

Also, you have now way in knowing how heavy I am. I could be 300 pounds for all you know.
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with the you are not eating too late group. Are you not losing weight? What else are you doing? Are you eating throughout the whole day? I work rotating swing shifts where I'm up all night eating and I reached my goal about a month ago.
    I eat late, not much of a breakfast eater. I force breakfast on myself to jump start my day. I just wasnt sure if changing my eating late would help my morning appetite. I have only been at this 3 weeks and have lost 6lbs and workout here and there...but getting back on a consecutive track now.