Avacado has -4 calories

Options
Is it real that Avacado has -4 calories. That’s what MyFitnessPal shows when you select a whole avacado. If this is true can someone explain how it is possible

Replies

• LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is it real that Avacado has -4 calories. That’s what MyFitnessPal shows when you select a whole avacado. If this is true can someone explain how it is possible

Nope, not true. The food database usually has several entries for a given food. I use a food scale so I prefer entries that say something like, "Avocado, 100 grams = 160 calories." The one you found was likely entered in error. Probably.

• JMHoran86
    JMHoran86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If only! Avocados are life! 😂
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The database is user entered and maintained. You will find multiple entries for pretty much anything you could ever eat. You should check any entry you are going to choose to either the package or to published USDA data for whole foods before logging it.
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nothing has negative calories. There are a ton of errors in the food database. Yesterday I couldn’t figure out why I was over 100 calories under, then I noticed that I had accidentally logged an entry for cheese that gave it 0 calories instead of 110. If something doesn’t look right, I google the item and see what the USDA lists it as.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Let common sense prevail.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

No...you're selecting a bad entry.

The most accurate entry will be by weight...but generically speaking a whole medium sized avocado is going to be around 250 calories
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    on the web version if you click on "nutrition info" you can report the entry as not accurate...not sure if that option is available in the app