Couch to 5K- My experience

Last week I started the Couch to 5K programme. I've been keeping a log of my experience and would like to share it on here :)

I'm not massively unfit but cardio has never been my thing and I've never been able to run anywhere near a 5K. I once signed up for a 10K Charity Santa Dash when I was in high school. Did not anticipate how far 10K was for someone who didn't run and I couldn't walk for days afterwards! I'm going the slow and steady route this time....

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    There is a c25k group on here as well with lots of feedback from those going through the program. The last group started in July but there are still a few going strong. I found it incredibly motivating to chat with others in the program and read the sticky threads in that group about common issues/injuries. I’ll tag you there since I don’t know how to share a group link
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2019
    Week 1 Run 1: Today was my first time trying C25K and I'm exited. The first run was more of a walk (60s jog, 90s walk) but it's amazing to think of the progress I'll be able to make over the next few weeks. It wasn't toooo difficult which is a good thing as I'm looking forward to the next sessions rather than dreading them. Interestingly my junk food cravings have reduced (I'm sure the effect is temporary). The day after 'the Big Shop' we have all the sugary treats in but I'm finding myself wanting more nutritious foods instead! Who am I? I also went shopping for some new gear (optimistic considering it's Day 1) and the winter sports clothing range has me all excited. I probably won't be that excited after one winter run when I realise how bloody cold it is but for now it's frustratingly warm. AUTUMN WHERE ARE YOU?! Winter has always been my nemesis but I'm determined to run through Winter this year rather than hibernate and emerge in April. I write that wrapped up in a dressing gown with a hot cup of tea. Ask me how I feel about winter running again on a dark, dreary January day.

Week 1 Run 2: Yesterday one of my knees developed a slight twinge. Today my OTHER knee is playing up! Not so much a pain as an irritating niggle but I thought I'd head out and try C25K session 2. Surprisingly my knee was fine and doesn't hurt at all now (touch wood). The actual run felt harder and slower. It's a little disappointing but the way to progress is pushing through the harder workouts and coming out stronger. I'm proud I stuck with it and didn't give up on any runs.

Week 1 Run 3: Today felt great! No knee pain at all! I'm paranoid about my knees after an injury years ago that took me out of competitive swimming. How a person injures manages to mess up their knees doing a low impact sport like swimming is anyone's guess but I managed it! Anyway, I've completed all runs and I'm looking forward to week 2. I am actually looking forward to running! It's only been one week and I'm technically still more of a walker than a runner at this stage but bit by bit I'm determined to get there.

• NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Week 2 Run 1: I got an interview offer this morning and with my nerves feeling decidedly shaky and my mental dialogue being something along the lines of 'AAAARRGHHH!!!', running seemed like a good way to calm down and stop freaking out (it's a half hour chat with another human being...why are interviews so terrifying?). Week 2 has me running 90 seconds and walking 2 minutes. As it turns out, 90s of jogging feels a lot longer than 2 minutes of walking. How on earth am I going to run for over 5 minutes in just a few weeks?! I have faith in the programme but feel pretty unfit after that. It felt difficult but I'm proud I managed to finish and feel so much calmer and stronger post-run. Like I can take on the world!

Week 2 Run 2: I feel slightly under the weather today- everything feels heavy and ugghhhh. But nothing the promise of a hot chocolate can't sort. Today felt even harder than last session and by run 4 of 6 my legs felt like lead. But I did it!! And stopped to stroke an incredibly cute black kitten during the cool down walk then rewarded myself with that hot chocolate and a 2 hour nap. Much needed.

Week 2 Run 3: Breakthrough! Maybe it's because I've come through the minor bug (hot chocolate is a miracle cure, I won't hear against it.), maybe it's the two bars of Dairy Milk I ate last night (seeing a trend? I love chocolate) but today felt awesome! The sun was shining, the trees were looking autumnal and the sky was as blue as you've ever seen. During the warm-up walk, some golden leaves fluttered down around me like confetti and I felt like I was in a movie. It was one of those runs where I just found my stride and my legs felt light and springy. It was still a push at the end but not in a 'help my legs are falling off and I'm about to collapse' way. I now realise post-run that I perhaps needed a stronger suncream as I have a glowing pink nose and cheeks that have nothing to do with the exercise! Whoops. Week 3- bring it on!
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Seems like a fun challenge good luck @nadknight
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    thanks for the updates and do not stop the program or the updates. I am not a huge cardio fan and everytime I do a run, its always a struggle to get out the door. couch to 5k is a god program. It works!