Bipolar Disorder and healthy eating

Options
lauralea1999
lauralea1999 Posts: 12 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning!
I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder and I’m trying to come up with meal ideas and planning tricks. I tend to get overwhelmed by planning and end up over complicating things and hitting up Taco Bell. Does anyone have tips to help keep things simple or create easy to maintain routines? I’m trying to eat as healthy as possible: minimal sugar, heart healthy fats, lean cuts, and no simple carbs. Tips, app recommendations, websites, and cookbook suggestions would be awesome! Being bipolar is not awesome and from what I’ve read nutrition can play a major role in minimizing episodes. Thanks!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you're able, I would suggest filling out the food diary a few days in advance. When you wake up, that day's meals would already be planned.

You could try cooking sheet pans full of roasted veggies that will last few days. I also cook at least 4 days worth of chicken at a time. You can make a huge salad, portion into containers and keep in the fridge.

The more food you have ready to eat might help you to stay calm.

Good luck with your journey!
  • lauralea1999
    lauralea1999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your awesome tips and support, I really appreciate it!
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don’t have bipolar but I do struggle with other mental health issues. Diet, sleep, and exercise make a big difference for me in managing symptoms. I also tend to get overwhelmed and eat junk out of stress or convenience. I have better luck when I keep it simple and set smaller goals to start (like maybe just eating dinner at home every night). When I try to go more extreme I get overwhelmed and fall apart pretty quickly

Some general tips for setting up eating routines with mental health in mind:

Figure out what you like to eat and try to always keep that stuff on hand. Pick ingredients you like and will eat, you can get variety with different seasonings. (Chicken breast tenderloins are a bit more expensive but they cook very quickly especially on a foreman grill)

Keep easy stuff around in case you ever fall behind on meal prep or aren’t able to cook—being able to easily toss together a salad or sandwich as an option can help. Frozen or convenience goods can help as a backup

Make extra and portion it out if you have a busy schedule and don’t like to cook daily—I like cooking every night, but it can be easier for you to do all the cooking at once and portion it out

Keep things simple and don’t worry about not being perfect. Once it’s a routine you can mix it up and not worry about stressing yourself or going overboard at the beginning. Almost anything you do at home will be better than going for fast food

If you’re doing everything on one day and feel stressed, break it into smaller steps over more days. Be flexible until you figure out what schedule works for your lifestyle

Good luck! Feel free to add me or message me if you want to talk or share recipes/meal ideas

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    These are all great tips.

I have anxiety and depression and also feel overwhelmed. Some ways I cope are:

Shopping on a schedule (Tues and Fri) so I only have to plan and shop for 3 dinners at a time. We eat out lunch on Saturday and make a simple dinner like leftovers or PBB&J.

Setting a theme for each day, like Monday is salad, Tuesday is Mexican, Wednesday is pasta, etc.

Not feeling bad about meals being simple (eggs & fruit, grilled cheese & soup) or repeating meals frequently. There are no real prizes for feeding yourself or your family gourmet or complicated meals. The same is true for packed lunches, no matter what Pinterest believes!

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't have bipolar, but I do share tips on quicker easy foods.

If Taco Bell is a weak spot for you and you want to cut it. I found quick Mexican foods to eat at home, even frozen dinners can be less calories, cheaper, and more nutritional value. Like Amy's frozen cheese enchiladas (I would top these after heated with black olives, green onions, fresh cilantro and spinach, a little dollop of sour cream). Or Sweet Earth burritos, EVOL steak bowl.

Buying pre-made lavish bread or pita, canned pizza sauce, with fresh veggies and herbs, cheeses for a quick homemade pizza.

Eating like this, and topping with veggies turned me into a foodie. Started cooking at home, then started trying to cook from scratch.

I started by trying to fill home with delicious quick foods.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Speaking of quick Mexican foods, I have a Spanish Rice from scratch recipe I make a lot, but tonight I'm having Near East's Spanish Rice with leftover chicken and some peas.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited September 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Speaking of quick Mexican foods, I have a Spanish Rice from scratch recipe I make a lot, but tonight I'm having Near East's Spanish Rice with leftover chicken and some peas.

Sounds good!!!

I love simple rice dishes!!

My favorite is cardamom, saffron, dried apricots, shredded carrots, and raisins. It's beautiful, quick and easy, smells and taste amazing!
  • kshama2001
    Options

Sounds good!!!

My favorite is cardamom, saffron, dried apricots, shredded carrots, and raisins. It's beautiful, quick and easy, smells and taste amazing!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

When you get a chance, I'd love approximate proportions.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited September 2019
    Options

Sounds good!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

@kshama2001

I just do 1 cup dry rice (I prefer basmati), pinch of saffron, tbsp of cardamom, 1 cup apricots (chopped up, I prefer the Turkish dried ones), 1 cup raisins. 2 carrots cleaned and grated (shredded). Salt and pepper...

Optional: tsp cinnamon, or a couple of seared and cubed chicken breast. Can double rice for a big family dish.

Everything can be modified to taste. Can find recipes online for similar with probably more detail...Kabuli Pulao, it's an Afghanistan rice dish.
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder and I’m trying to come up with meal ideas and planning tricks. I tend to get overwhelmed by planning and end up over complicating things and hitting up Taco Bell. Does anyone have tips to help keep things simple or create easy to maintain routines? I’m trying to eat as healthy as possible: minimal sugar, heart healthy fats, lean cuts, and no simple carbs. Tips, app recommendations, websites, and cookbook suggestions would be awesome! Being bipolar is not awesome and from what I’ve read nutrition can play a major role in minimizing episodes. Thanks!

I have bipolar. Meds can make it hard as some make you want to eat the house, the neighbors house and maybe add in a dog house. Bipolar can also make you want to either build 50 dog houses or sleep in one because you feel like that is where you belong.

As far as tips, what has helped me tremendously is to plan my day out every morning. I stick to it as much as possible. I also cook dinner before I go on my long *kitten* bike ride. So when I get home, I can't use the excuse that I'm to tire to cook, because it is already there. I also do not restrict my food. I plan for treats every night. This helps so I don't get cravings and then over eat them all at once. Especially since I have a binge eating disorder along with emotionally eating issue. I tried restricting my food but I kept failing over and over. Now I plan for stuff. As long as the rest of day is healthy, I believe it is fine. Oh if you have a food that you know you can't control yourself around, don't buy it. Buy stuff you know you can be okay with.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Bipolar here.

Biggest tip I can give that has helped me...my meds make my hunger absolutely ravenous about an hour after taking them, so I save around 800-1000 calories of my daily intake for that time.
  • kshama2001
    edited September 2019
    Options

Sounds good!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

@kshama2001

I just do 1 cup dry rice (I prefer basmati), pinch of saffron, tbsp of cardamom, 1 cup apricots (chopped up, I prefer the Turkish dried ones), 1 cup raisins. 2 carrots cleaned and grated (shredded). Salt and pepper...

Optional: tsp cinnamon, or a couple of seared and cubed chicken breast. Can double rice for a big family dish.

Everything can be modified to taste. Can find recipes online for similar with probably more detail...Kabuli Pulao, it's an Afghanistan rice dish.

@Emmapatterson1729 - thanks!

I wanted to make sure 1 tbsp cardamom wasn't a typo - seems like 1 teaspoon would actually be more than enough (?)

I found other recipes that have 5 cardamom pods per cup of rice, and that is equivalent to 1/4 t ground.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I plan myeals around veggies and protein. Carbs, like rice and pasta, are kind of an after thought and not necessary. We use our mealthypot quite often and also George Foreman grill.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited September 2019
    Options

Sounds good!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

@kshama2001

I wanted to make sure 1 tbsp cardamom wasn't a typo - seems like 1 teaspoon would actually be more than enough (?)

I found other recipes that have 5 cardamom pods per cup of rice, and that is equivalent to 1/4 t ground.

@kshama2001

LOL I probably meant to type tsp... To be honest, I don't measure seasonings, I just add to taste. Then look like a deer caught in headlights when asked a recipe, ;)
  • kshama2001
    Options

Sounds good!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

@kshama2001

@kshama2001

LOL I probably meant to type tsp... To be honest, I don't measure seasonings, I just add to taste. Then look like a deer caught in headlights when asked a recipe, ;)

lol, thanks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make big batches of soups, stews, casseroles, main dish salads etc. you can eat them all week and freeze some for later.

Or, grill a protein (chicken breast, pork chop, etc) on a counter top grill, nuke some veggies, and make a salad. It only takes 10 min and it’s easy to keep ingredients on hand.

Finally, keep a few frozen entrees on hand (like Lean Cuisine , Atkins, etc) for tomes when time/energy is short.