Need portable lunch & dinner ideas!

Options
epeebes
epeebes Posts: 89 Member
Next week I go back to work (I'm a teacher) and I'm starting Grad school, which means I'll be out of the house from 7am-10pm 3 days a week. I usually bring something I can warm for lunch. but my dinner can't exactly be in a tupperware as I will literally be eating it on the subway in travels to school. I need something handy. I do feel funny eating a sandwich for dinner. How are some meal replacement bars? Filling?

I'm really trying to avoid grabbing pizza, hot dog, or fast food on the way to class. It's bad enough I have to smell it in my travels. Help!

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm spacing out on the hot meals... only thing that comes to mind are the self-heating military MRE's (Meal Ready To Eat) haha. As far as meal replacements go... I can't weigh in on the bars as I've never tried them (pun intended) however I do use Shakeology daily and love it. It keeps me full and I carry it with me in the shaker cup they have available. It's great stuff. Godd luck!
  • jab2jad76
    Options
    three words..michelinas lean gourmet! Not only are they cost effective ($1 at wal mart!) but they are low in calories, fat and taste totally amazing! I have yet to eat a bad one! I just pop them in the microwave for around 3 mins and they are so good! I love the meatloaf, santa fe 3 cheese chicken beans and rice, the chicken flatbread, even my 9 year old loved the alfredo! the highest calorie content i have seen is 300 and 8 grams of fat for the santa fe but it is alot of food and soooo good! the meatloaf is like 180cals and 6 fat...for a buck it doesnt hurt to try them..but you will love them!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could take an insulated lunch tote, with little freezer bags to keep it cold, and load it up with things easy to eat.
    Tons of individual size containers of food available, but they can be spendy. You can prepare a lot of things on a Sunday, so all you have to do is grab your little bags, throw them in the lunch tote and head out. (Don't forget to refreeze your freezer bags each night) Yogurt, veggies cut into small sizes, crackers, pretzels, cheese (laughing cow), nuts, apples, celery with peanut butter, cottage cheese, grape tomatoes, cubes of turkey or ham, etc. I'm sure there are lots of others based on your tastes.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are great for dinner. I work 12 hour shifts and fruit and veggies are in my bag at all time. I also have wraps,protein bars also freeze smoothies put them in the fridge when I get to work in about 6 hours able to shake and drink.In your case I would put in freezer until 5 hours before you want dinner Works great You don't have to have dinner food to be dinner.
    LOL
    Joyce
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • nikkius
    nikkius Posts: 8
    Options
    I make dishes on the weekends and freeze them in individual servings. Putting them in the refrigerator overnight makes them so easy to heat up in the morning. Things like chili, soup, pasta dishes (including mini lasagnas made in muffin pans!), the list goes on, fit perfectly into a thermos. :) Hope that helps...