Antagonist Movements

Options
Quick question for those of you who do back/chest supersets: How do you like to do them?

Do you perform horizontal/horizontal (rows and bench, or pullups and overhead presses, for example) or vertical/horizontal (pullups and bench or rows and presses)?

I’m interested to see who finds success and a good mind-muscle connection with either method.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have done them in the past, but they're not my favourite thing. I know science these days tells you to do push/pull etc etc but I feel better and think I get better results doing the old-skool bro splits.

However, in terms of the supersets, casting my mind back to when I gave it a go (only lasted one program - about 8 weeks), in terms of mind-muscle connection there was really no problem. Just connect the brain to the muscle you want to use.

In terms of the exercises, again I need to try to remember, but I think it was like something like I'd do a bench press type push movement then go and do a cable row.

I just didn't feel like I was getting enough in each body part. I can't spend 2+ hours in the gym, I need to get it all done in under an hour, so it just didn't feel like I was progressing. Even doing it twice a week, just didn't feel 'right'.

Interested to see what other people say.

How long do you spend at the gym doing these types of workouts?
  • doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am in and out of the gym in an hour, but I am set up for maintenance more than building at this point.

I work on a modified version of 5/3/1 with supersets/circuits of antagonist movements after the big lift of the day.

I rather enjoy the usage of different angles in a single workout, but maybe that is just me.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I like:

Alternating pull-ups and chin-ups (pull) with bar dips (push) for sub-max reps for any rounds.

Another one is weighted alternating pull-ups and chin-ups with double overhead press.

I’ve done others but the above are my current favorites.

I use kettlebells for these, works for me.