Why isn't this working??

Options
Krohnie
Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
So I'm logging religiously, I'm working out like crazy- with a hrm so I know my actual burn, but I'm not losing at all. I keep gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. Last week I thought I had a break through, lost 1.6lbs and was thrilled. Today I was up 2.8 lbs. UGGHH. I'm frustrated and not sure where to go. I'm going to cut way back on the alcohol, try to spread my calories out more thoughout the day and try to increase water and decrease diet soda. I'm just not sure what to do to get this loss started. Why can't I just get a loss that sticks for more than5 days?

Replies

• aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustrations all too well.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well heres some help (hopefully lol). In my opinion you should cut back on your salt intake atleast aim for below 1800mg/day. I started doing that and it has worked wonders. another thing is to only eat clean foods like chicken, fish, whole wheat products, nuts, fruits, veggies...you get the picture. and a little hint my uncle who is a body builder mentioned to me is that you do the clean eating and after 3:00pm dont eat any carbs
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i would suggest cutting out diet soda completely. diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. aspartame is so horrible for you but it's not only that, i know when i did weight watchers they told us diet soda can make you fat. up your water. def spread out your eating throughout the day and make sure you eat enough. you can gain weight from not eating enough. good luck!
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sadly there are many different reasons for this to happen.

Also please don't check the scale every day. You weight can change up to 3 pounds everyday.

Some reasons are water retention, for woman TOM can gain up to 6 pds the week prior and the week off, some times you are working out too much and not taking in enough claories, or you may be over estimating your burn and eating too much.

You just need to take a deep breath and take a look at what you are doing and try to figure out if there are any factors that could be effecting you.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is very high. Try less processed meats and foods that are closer to their natural state.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well heres some help (hopefully lol). In my opinion you should cut back on your salt intake atleast aim for below 1800mg/day. I started doing that and it has worked wonders. another thing is to only eat clean foods like chicken, fish, whole wheat products, nuts, fruits, veggies...you get the picture. and a little hint my uncle who is a body builder mentioned to me is that you do the clean eating and after 3:00pm dont eat any carbs

correction...very few carbs like below 10. he said the weight would come off quickly
  • missyali26
    Options
    try not to weigh yourself too often. I did that for a while and it only fustrated me more and more. I haven't done my weigh-in since July 14th, this friday is the day I have chosen to do it again. I am excited about the scale showing at least 10 lbs less but even if is less than that I'll be happy. i used to be up 3, down 2, up 5 then up 7 it was just really fustrating. Sodas i believe even if they are diet are still bad. and alcohol is definitely something that will help you if you decrease your intake. good luck and keep trying!!
  • elgface
    elgface Posts: 35
    Options
    also build muscle, and cut out the alcohol, you dont need it... and the thing about alochol is that the body burns the alcohol before it burns the fat so the metabolism cinda stoppes until the alcohol is out...
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    "I'm going to cut way back on the alcohol, try to spread my calories out more thoughout the day and try to increase water and decrease diet soda". You just answered your own question. Stay off the scale, Try only weighing yourself once a week or every two weeks. Don't rely on the scale to see your progress. Less stress that way. I have not been on the scale for about 2.5 weeks; but I still see all the difference my body has made. Good Luck.
  • almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    Thats a really tough one, and we're all guessing till we find what works for us. As far as I know there are a few major reasons, and you'll have to experiment until you find your answer.

1) too many calories
    overestimating exercise, - your hrm should take care of that
    underestimating intake, - I'm really bad at eyeballing portions. buy a digital scale and use other sites than MFP (which is only as good as the users) to verify nutrition data if you're not sure. I really really like nutritiondata.self.com because they have other information like glycemic index and 'fullness factor'
    overestimating calorie needs - the formulas guess at your caloric needs, you might have to just go for two weeks at different levels and see if you gain, maintain or lose weight.

2) too few calories
    misjudging what you eat or setting your goals too low for the reasons above can make your body really stubborn about hanging on to fat stores for emergency. you need to find a happy medium where your body is sure of energy coming in and willing to give up stores, but still at a calorie deficit.
    If this is the case and you increase your calories, you might gain for a week or so before your body clues in.
    Not sure if this is your situation, your diary looks like you're getting enough nutrition with good food.

3) high sodium levels make you retain water weight. I hate this one. I love salt.

Good luck!
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I understand completely! I went through it for about month and now I have started losing. For me the key was to keep working out and eating right... also to watch my sodium, as that makes the body hold onto water weight. I only drink water, coffee (two k-cups in the morning), herbal ice tea, and sometimes very low cal sports drinks. ie. Propel Zero and Nuun. I drink about a liter of water in the morning before I drink or eat anything else. This is a simple way to cleanse the body and keep it working correctly. Good luck and keep at it!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your sugar and reduce it as much as possible. Stop eating bread and any type of processed food. Eat more fresh green veggies. Just stick to water (lots of water) and maybe a little tea.

My opinion .
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Don't go too extreme on anything.....I hate to disagree with someone here, but a bodybuilder's diet is VERY different from an overweight person. They are going for a very different goal.
    Based on what my nutritionist has been telling me, I think your caloric intake is slightly high. Try to stay under 1500 and only eat back calories if they net you fewer than 1100 or 1200.
    Try to keep your carbs under 150 for the day. Carbs and sugar will make you hungry and will increase your cravings for those foods.
    Diet soda, itself, does not cause you to gain weight, but it does cause more hunger, which will make you eat more.
    Your fat intake is pretty high, too. (Sorry!) I'd try to cut out the pizza and the candy/sweets as much as possible. (Double sorry).
    Weigh yourself once a week at the same day and approximate time.
    I also agree that your sodium is crazy high and will cause you to retain water weight. It's possible that when you cut that back, you may suddenly get a nice scale reading.
    Try to get away from the white breads and grains and go for whole wheat (I love white, yeasty bread).
    While processed foods are not as good as natural foods, I suggest that you make these changes gradually so you don't burn out and give up. I would suggest you make the easiest changes first. But, I think you will get the best results by prioritizing a reduction in sodium, alcohol, carbs and fats.
    Alcohol slows down your system, too, so you won't burn as many calories.
    I know it's hard to do this, but you CAN!! I know you can! That's why I suggest you look at it as a process and do it gradually.
    I lost 8 pounds in 10 days just from switching from Mountain Dew to Coke Zero. 66 carbs a bottle for Mountain Dew.
    Good luck!!
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any wt until I cut out coke zero !!! No joke!! Diet drinks are filled w/ sodium which makes you retain water...... Another thing for me was to cut out my daily bkfst of rice krispies & milk
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree, CUT THE DIET SODA, I prefer Crystal light, and even dilute that another 50-75%. One thing about diet soda a doctor once told me, it leaches calcium from your bones. Also, it makes your cravings for sweets MORE SEVERE. Keep at it, the weight will come off, you have nothing to gain and all to lose (weight!)!!!!
  • dtennis22
    Options
    Please help me. I have been doing this for around a week and have actually gained 2 pounds!:( I am always under my calorie intake but too much on the sugar. I exercise a lot but cant seem to shed the pounds. I track all of my food and drinks and I do not drink any alcohol. I weigh around 140 and my goal is 125-130, but I dont know if mfp will help. Please Reply!