Does Egg white protein powder have any flavor?

Could I add it to my yogurt for extra protein without making it taste weird?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Never thought of doing that, if the yogurt is flavoured its not likely the taste would be affected much? Hoping someone can give feedback on this, I've never bought powdered egg white.
    A protein powder might be better?
  • We are have just ordered some of that as well. I'd like to know what I'm in for but if no one responds I'll give my review of it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Never thought of doing that, if the yogurt is flavoured its not likely the taste would be affected much? Hoping someone can give feedback on this, I've never bought powdered egg white.
    A protein powder might be better?

• wizzybeth
    edited September 2019
    I have it in the cupboard already and want to use it. My yogurt is not flavored it is plain but I add fruit to it. I don't want it to taste eggy. LOL.

I don't like other protein powders that you make into shakes and so on and so forth. Because they taste bizarre to me. If this is flavorless then I will sprinkle it in my yogurt to use it up and get some extra protein in the process.

I don't know how I came to have it. I just have it and don't want it to go to waste if I can use it up.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I have it in the cupboard already and want to use it. My yogurt is not flavored it is plain but I add fruit to it. I don't want it to taste eggy. LOL.

I don't like other protein powders that you make into shakes and so on and so forth. Because they taste bizarre to me. If this is flavorless then I will sprinkle it in my yogurt to use it up and get some extra protein in the process.

I don't know how I came to have it. I just have it and don't want it to go to waste if I can use it up.
    I think the solution here is Try It. You have both ingredients; only you will be able to answer your question to your own satisfaction.

• wizzybeth
    edited September 2019
    just_Tomek wrote: »

How about you try, and let us know?

Really? That's such a helpful response to my question.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

Actually it was helpful. As @SuzySunshine said, none of us can answer for your specific tastes and since it doesn't sound like many people have input yet, you could be the one to tell the rest of us what you think. You don't have to make a full bowl, just a small amount should suffice. Treat it as an experiment.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I agree. You already have it. What'll it cost you if you don't like it? A yogurt.
  • I've had vanilla flavored egg protein powder in a smoothie and didn't like it. Preferred my vanilla flavored pea protein in it instead. This is just my preference and the way I used the egg protein powder, so it may be different for you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

It's nice that you recognize that. So often when people don't get the answer they want, they get snarky.
  • wizzybeth
    glassyo wrote: »
    I agree. You already have it. What'll it cost you if you don't like it? A yogurt.

My question was simple. Does egg protein powder have a flavor to it.

It's a simple question with a simple answer. Either it has a flavor, or it doesn't.

I didn't want to waste my yogurt. That may sound silly to you but it isn't to me.

If I dont have anything relevant to add to a thread, I scroll on. Try it sometime.
  • gallicinvasion
    edited September 2019

It's a simple question with a simple answer. Either it has a flavor, or it doesn't.

I didn't want to waste my yogurt. That may sound silly to you but it isn't to me.

If I dont have anything relevant to add to a thread, I scroll on. Try it sometime.

Lol, why not try it with a tablespoon of yogurt? If you can’t Google the answer and no one on here has the answer you like, bite the bullet and use one singular tablespoon of yogurt. If it’s not good, eat the rest of the yogurt without the protein powder. If it’s good, continue dumping it in. In either case, you haven’t wasted yogurt; you’ve eaten a whole yogurt, gotten your nutrition, and discovered whether or not you can taste egg white protein powder. 😂 this is so silly.

• gallicinvasion
    I’m picturing someone at their computer for hours, waiting patiently and scrolling the forums for an answer, an unopened container of yogurt, a big can of egg white protein powder, and a spoon sitting on the table in front of them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

There are some people who will swear water has flavor, others who tel them they're nuts. Some people love cilantro and others for whom it tastes like soap. My dad swears his fish oil pills are flavorless but my mom insists there is a hint of fishiness.

There is literally no way anyone can tell you whether you'll taste it or not. It would depend on how sensitive your taste buds are and to which types of tastez, what brand of powder, what brand of yogurt, what fruit you use, how much fruit you use. I find even the same brand and type of yogurt can taste more or less sour from one tub to the next so factor that in too.

"Maybe" is really the only possible answer. However if you think it's possible that an unflavored protein powder will change the flavor of your yogurt so much you'll waste it rather than eat it anyway, it might suggest you are unusually sensitive to taste or a picky eater and are better off not trying it. Maybe someone you know can use it rather than throwing it out?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    edited September 2019