Protein makes me too full

sarko15
sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
edited September 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I've been trying to up my protein significantly. I'm a vegetarian, so it takes a little more work and planning. I've gotten by 14 years of vegetarianism on roughly half the amount of protein I "need" and feel fine enough -- except now I'm trying to build strength, so I'm supplementing.

The thing is -- I am not hungry at all, especially when I frontload my protein in the AM to allow myself for a slightly more carby dinner. This morning after the gym I had a protein bar (15g) and a protein shake with water (30g) -- over the course of maybe two hours. My goal is 80g. The problem is this is obviously not enough calories and I should be eating lunch, but I know that this will tide me over well until dinner, and I need other nutrients and even more protein as well (which I'd get from dietary sources instead of another protein shake).

I know this will probably change over time as my body adapts. What do I do -- just power through even if the thought of eating more makes me ill? Or are there better ways to space out my protein?

Replies

• Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    I had the same problem when I first started eating a proper amount of protein. I have a 48 g protein breakfast smoothie and for the first few weeks, I just had to force myself to eat lunch/dinner until I got used to it. A lot of times (even now) I end up with way too many calories left over at night, so I just have ice cream/chocolate.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    I had the same problem when I first started eating a proper amount of protein. I have a 48 g protein breakfast smoothie and for the first few weeks, I just had to force myself to eat lunch/dinner until I got used to it. A lot of times (even now) I end up with way too many calories left over at night, so I just have ice cream/chocolate.

Okay, okay, now we're talking...if this gives me more room for ice cream or chocolate then I'm all for it :p
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Try backloading your protein drink.

I too found them filling during the day, 35g protein for 150 cals. Moreso than if I had had a mixed food lunch of higher cals but the same protein.

I now use it as a backup, if I’m a bit short during the day, I mix a protein drink with the grams to make up my short fall and have it quite late in the evening. That gives me all night to digest it.

I like the idea of using it as a supplement, rather than a meal replacement. Even though you are using it to up your protein on a vegetarian diet, you could still eat what you prefer to eat during the day to fill your other nutritional needs, and supplement the protein drink at night.

Cheers, h.