Dinner Guests

Options
klyn
klyn Posts: 5
Any suggestions for a tasty low cal, low fat, but interesting dinner menu for guests?

Replies

• klyn
    Options
    Any suggestions for a tasty low cal, low fat, but interesting dinner menu for guests?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Roasted Vegetables and Shrimp or Chicken ..perhaps some hummus as dip with triscuits or veggies
  • JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options
    Anything in mind? There are TONS of yummy recipes in the recipes seciton.
  • jelee18
    Options
    I love having a fondue night. Instead of cheese or oil, cook with a vegetable broth. Put out plenty of veggies, chicken, shrimp, etc. Start the night out with a pretty salad - add fruit or nuts to dress it up. If you want to end with something sweet you can make a dark chocolate fondue and use fruit as your dipper.
  • gggivens
    Options
    I am a big fan of stir-fry style fajitas with lots of vegis.
    I also really LOVE green chili- and it is very low cal, especially for as filling as it is. I serve it over eggs and a tortilla with a touch of cheese.

Or my husband's favorite dish- chipotle chicken chowder. It is a thick pretty soup that I serve with corn bread or sour dough bread.

Of course, I am a fan of spicy food- so all of these are on the spicy side.

If you want any of the recipes let me know- I will post it.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    French onion soup!
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    If your guests eat fish, make tilapia. It's lo-cal and tasty. Here is a great easy recipe.

IngredientsTopping
    1-inch cube fresh gingerroot, finely chopped or grated
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped or grated
    2 green onions (green part only), finely chopped
    Fresh chile to taste
    1 cup finely chopped cilantro
    2 tbsp grapeseed (or safflower) oil
    Dash of toasted sesame oil
    Dash of soy sauce
    Dash of fish sauce
    4 tsp dark maple syrup

Tilapia
    4 fillets (4 oz each) fresh tilapia (or other firm-fleshed whitefish)
    4 large banana leaves (or unbleached parchment paper)
    PreparationPreheat oven to 400°F. Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place a fillet on each banana leaf and divide topping evenly among them, spreading it over the top. Fold each banana leaf over to form a packet around each fillet and seal the edge of each packet with a small piece of aluminum foil, crimping it tightly. Place on a baking sheet and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I just wrap it in the foil and bake it. Serve with basmati rice and steamed veggies (broccoli, red and yellow peppers). It's delicious! and it's only 213 calories with 22 grams of protein
  • saramarie74
    Options
    Our new fav meal is pork tenderloin. I put a chili cummin spice rub (recipie on McCormick site) on it about half an hour before I am ready to cook the pork. Then just grill on the bbq for about 5-7 min on all three sides and then wrap in foil for at least 10 more mins off the heat and then slice. This meal is great on the rotisserie for about one hour. I like to serve this roasted vegetables that we like. We use potato and carrot wedges with a good herb mix and a spray of no cal cooking spray. The tenderloin is low cal with 120 calories per 4oz serving and 3 grams of fat. Great presentation for guests if veges are piled in the middle of a nice platter and then fan out the tenderloin slices in a circle around the dish.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    grilled scallops, grilled lean flank steak, au jus, with caramelized onions and portobello mushrooms, huge side salad, mashed skinny sweet potatoes, a soup, anything broth based to start, and an angel food cake, with fresh berries for desert.

Just served this to a guests at our bed and breakfast..good luck!
  • klyn
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I felt guilty serving "diet food" to guests, and rude to not eat along with them.
    These are all good suggestions...and new to me, so I am looking forward to trying them. For the Tilapia recipe. could I substitute sugar free maple syrup? I am doing low/no sugar right now...