Messed up today...

Options
Started Monday with IF and just eating better overall. I did good and even lost 3.2 pounds. Today is Saturday and I just wasn’t ready lol. I did terrible with my eating and IF. I don’t know how you guys/gals do it with maintaining good habits everyday. I hope to be there with you soon. I’m starting back tomorrow morning tho.

Replies

• Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Good to catch yourself before it gets out of hand. Tomorrow is a new day! That being said I have trouble being consistent too. I do well for a few days and then it’s just one snack after another. Sorry.I don’t have any advice for you. Just empathy!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The key is to not make ten big changes all at once, especially changes that are only easy to maintain on weekdays. A habit that doesn’t work on weekends is not worth creating!

Pick one or two small changes that are doable/easy for you, but still move you towards your health goals. (I.e. I will drink 64 oz of water each day and I will be within 100 calories of my target each day). Work on those changes until you have them down pat. Only THEN do you add a new habit change (I.e. I will walk 10 min on three days each week).

If you try to eat with IF, cut out bread and rice, cut out restaurant and takeout, and each only grilled chicken and broccoli, those big habit changes are going to be okay at the beginning, but you’ll very quickly find that they aren’t possible to fit in your day-to-day life long term (especially when you hit the weekend).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I messed up all the time when I was losing weight. I just got right back up and kept going. I knew the habits I was trying to build were for the rest of my life, not just for weight loss, and I sure wasn't going to be perfect for the rest of my life!

The key for me was transitioning into those habits slowly, and picking a plan that wasn't all that different from how I ate in the first place.

:drinker:
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight for a year and I stu mess up plenty. The key is not to try to be perfect, as you don't need to. Just focus on being good enough.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Things to ask yourself, and only you really have the answer for what works for you. Any changes you make are you willing to keep doing it day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. Because it is one thing to lose the weight and then to maintain for many is another mountain to climb.

And totally agree with Kimny72, I have had bad days, or um months where I did not follow what was working. So knew it was time to hit reset button for me.

And I know I read this quote not sure where, any new habit we take up, we must do 21 days in a row, for the brain to get on board it is a new way of doing it, and kind of remember and say yes this is what we do now. And then becomes a habit.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to maintain good habits everyday. Nothing about calorie counting has to be perfect for it to work. It only needs to be good enough. That includes you.

Lots of ways to make mistakes in this. Everything from inadequate plans to math mistakes. Weekends present different challenges and not much opportunity to practice. Try to do better next weekend. Losing any significant amount takes a lot of persistence. Keep going.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite things don't work with the way I eat now but I don't want to forever give up things I enjoy so I strategically plan for them. I'm low carb to keep my blood glucose in check and so this is a longterm lifestyle. But that popcorn at the movies last week when my husband and I had a date alone for the first time in forever only made my glucose go up temporarily. as long as I'm not eating it constantly, I can work in an occasional indulgence. a couple times a month I may do a small portion of a favorite that doesn't fit in my every day eating habits. often enough I don't feel deprived of my favorites but not often enough to impact my numbers :)