Too much Vitamin C?

Options
Today is the 3rd day I've gone over my vitamin C %. Is that good or bad?

Replies

• aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't track Vit C but I have heard its good for you so I wouldn't worry.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer...but I'm curious! I am always over my Vitamin C too.

Edit: I think that since it's water soluble, it's okay. It's the fat soluble ones (A,D,E,K I believe) that can potentially be a problem (especially A), but that is only if you are eating ridiculously high quantities of it for extended periods of time.
  • luminescence
    luminescence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just fine because Vitamin C is water soluble.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin so if you go over it basically your body expels it as waste. You don't need to worry about going over on it if you are eating right.
  • stevedaytona
    Options
    It's good. You'll know if you have too much Vitamin C - you'll be heading to the bathroom on a regular basis!
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    An excess in Vitamin C makes my skin break-out, but I don't think that's common. I've always heard it's very hard to overdose on Vitamins, if you get more than you need you just pee them out.
  • I usually get around 200%, and that's not including the vitamin I take which has another 100%, and I've never had a problem. :) You have to go waaay over for it to affect you.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over, what ever your body doesn't use, you pee out. That's why your urine is so yellow after taking it. So don't worry about it. You'll need it for the winter anyway. It is a great immune booster.
  • smscott87
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I just thought it was the water I was drinking that was making me go but I guess it's the C too.
  • nitarongish
    nitarongish Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You cannot overdose on Vitamin C. It is a vitamin your body uses up daily. In case you didn't know also, Vitamin C goes out of the body almost instantly when you get stressed. So don't worry, you are fine. Keep up the great work!:wink:
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, only stating my own case. I normally get plenty, but tried bulking up because everyone in the office was sick. I was taking a vit c tablet that was 1000% your daily allowance on top of what I was eating for about 5 days and I got canker sores (not the cold sores or the herpes virus) on my tongue. Within a few days of stopping the vitamin, the sores healed up and haven't been back. That was a huge overage though, not a normal overage with a typical diet.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to ease up on the Vitamin C. You can't overdose in the way heroin will make you overdose, but if you keep taking too much on a consistent basis you can do kidney damage.

I had been drinking Airborne to try and fend off a cold (before I found out it really doesn't work) and my doctor confiscated the tablets.

He told me that three days of chugging the stuff wasn't so bad, but two weeks of it was excessive and could have adverse effects. Kidneys something something something.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just know that I was told to lay off it. By a doctor.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One of my friends started wasting away from getting too much vit c. So you can overdo it, but you have to overdo it by a lot. She was popping those Vit C suckers from halls about every 5 minutes in class to help her sit through lecture. Now she doesn't touch the things.