Help I can't stop the sweet craving!! and the snacks

Options
I use to be so great when it came to saying NO to sweets when they were near by or right in front of me. I would have something once in a while, but I am craving sweets. I am now beginning to stop carrying cash on me to stop visiting the vending machine. I live within walking distance to a grocery store (ice cream). Ice cream I crave the most, I have had to tell my boyfriend that we can't have it in the house all the time anymore, I use to good will power!!! Anybody have some tricks to help when craving a sweet thing or to stop the cravings? I have noticed alot of times I am a snacker or eats when I am bored, or depressed. Mainly bored.

Help!
Sweetooth

Replies

• moprincess76
    Options
    chew gum..... lots of gum ......
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

You could try chewing gum, although studies have shown that artificial sweetener will make you crave more carbohydrates. . .artificial sweetener causes your leptin (a chemical signal made by fat cells to tell your brain to stop eating) sensitivity to decrease.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I drink Shakeology. Chocolate milkshake in the afternoon really makes those cravings go away.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 30 days with no sugar tomorrow.
    I had some good luck with doing the South Beach diet phase 1 with overcoming a sugar addiction it's restrictive but works. This time around I'm just cutting out refined sugar, and white flour. But I am going to allow myself to have fruit every now and then and yoplait. For me it's easier to just not have any at all. If I have one sweet, I will likely have more.
  • itsirk1978
    itsirk1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gum. I have become addicted to orange and apple tic tacs. The other thing I do, I have a scale and I eat the ice cream but i weigh it so i can hold myself accountable. :) I also like fun size candy bars instead of the regular size ones.

I keep the 100 calorie pack cookies on hand. I figure that I love the sweets it is harder to deprive myself. I work it off it I need to. :)
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im really bad on this too and Ice cream is my weakness as well, do not deny yourself treats just buy yourself healthier versions such as low cal fudgesicles, I really like the 90 cal fiber one bars and brownies they taste like your eating a candy bar. When your bored go for a walk (preferably in the opposite direction of the store) or do some sort of activity to keep you busy
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    What's your favorite fruit? That sometimes helps me. Also, green tea help curb my cravings. I have a very POWERFUL sweet tooth so I feel your pain.
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options

8450787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hi baby74… I live on the NE side of Indy! :) I do chew a lot of gum. Lately I've been using diet sodas when I want something sweet… typically I'm NOT a soda drinker. Do you just need "something", or are you the type of person that you have one "drink" and pretty soon the entire "bottle" is gone? ;0) If it's the former, try finding healthier sweet snacks… maybe fruit, or I really like the Newton Fruit Thin cookies… they are lower in sugar and actually have whole grain and fiber! I'm not saying they are "good" for you, but certainly they are less bad. One or two will satisfy me. This week I'm going on the limb a bit. I bought one of the Dove bars that's make up of about 12 little squares. Each square is maybe 30-50 calories. I haven't had one YET - I haven't had chocolate in 5 weeks - but the craving is coming … I can feel it. So one square and we'll see if that's good enough. If not… I have a few co-workers who would be more than happy to take the rest of my hands! lol
  • skeeweemc
    skeeweemc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I'm a teacher and I keep treats in my classroom to give my students. I used to find it very hard to resist sneaking one all the time. I'm not a fan of fad diets, but in reading up on South Beach, the Phase one of their diet really makes sense - cut refined carbs and sugars to stabilize blood sugar. I gave up bread and rice about 3 weeks ago. Since then, after about a week doing it, I find my cravings have deminished to almost none. And when I do indulge, I can stop after just one. It's made a huge difference!
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If it's affordable to you I would see a naturopath or nutritionist. . .sweet cravings can indicate certain deficiencies.

One that springs to mind for me is tryptophan (an essential amino acid). .. .you could try to supplement with 5HTP which will help your mood & sleep as well as the carbohydrate (sweet) cravings.

A herb that springs to mind is Stevia which will help to stabilize blood glucose levels and could help stop sugar cravings.
    Another herb is Gymnema - it is known traditionally as the "sugar destroyer". . .this herb is used to help sugar cravings
  • skeeweemc
    skeeweemc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 30 days with no sugar tomorrow.
    I had some good luck with doing the South Beach diet phase 1 with overcoming a sugar addiction it's restrictive but works. This time around I'm just cutting out refined sugar, and white flour. But I am going to allow myself to have fruit every now and then and yoplait. For me it's easier to just not have any at all. If I have one sweet, I will likely have more.

What she said! :-)
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Try not to deny yourself, just keep it under control. When we start denying ourselves, we start to binge. So, just have a little if you want it.

Have you ever tried Skinny Cow ice cream products? They are really good, low in calories and portion controlled. Give them a try. If I'm having a sweet craving, I grab one of those.

At the end of the day, you can't let empty calories win. You're in control and you have to want to change. You can do it, and you can do it well!

Good luck!
  • Natley
    Natley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    try edys light ice cream. french silk is my fav ;)
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh I am with you on this. However, if I have fruits around I will go for that because I know it is much much better.
  • gunther0013
    gunther0013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try Skinny Cow ice cream, most are only 150 calories, or even the Fiber-One brownies at 90 calories. They satisfy your cravings but don't ruin your day.
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like sweets too. I usually keep some fruit strips (50 cal) or 80 cal popsciles on hand. I also always have fruit on hand. I don't have any particular sweet cravings though. I just like something at night.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I occasionally give up all sweets (other than fruit) for a month or so like the lady before me. It really is a great way to get that need under control.
  • louisvillelady
    louisvillelady Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with madden above ^ Low cal sugar free fudge pops are a good choice also minute maid has frozen ice . Kroger has carbmaster yogurt that is only 60 calories and a variety of flavors .
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump