Weight loss and wrinkles

Options
Anyone notice they look older or more wrinkled after losing weight? I remember this happened to my my mother when she lost a lot (too much) weight when she was in her 40's. I'm in my late 40's now and have been blessed with looking younger than I actually am, or so I am told, but noticing my neck is looking much more crepey since losing about 8 kilo

Replies

• QuinntessentiallyMe
    Options
    I lost 115 lbs, and yes, I am looking more my age now than ever. I held a lot of fat in my face and under my chin, and the skin just couldn't bounce back. Creases are showing more now because less filler. I'm the healthiest I have ever been, my skin is so much healthier, and I moisturize and hydrate very well, but the damage is done. It's only natural!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Depending on the amount of loss and the rate of loss wrinkle appearance can be dramatic. Another benefit to a 1lb/week rate or moderate loss. This typicallly is more apparent in the nasolabial fold region and eyes - the areas with thin tissue and heavy vasculature, but also diminishes over time.

Hydration certainly helps as does topical moisturizers.

There are several dermal aesthetic products on the market, some of which stimulate collagen development. These tend to have a much higher safety profile when utilized by a skilled medical professional.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Right there with you...mid 40’s losing weight and crepey neck. I’m hoping it will lesson with some time.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    when i lost a lot of my weight, i looked significantly older. part of why i looked younger was that fat in my face was stretching out the skin where there would be wrinkles.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    I call them "the shrinkles" :)

Love it!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yep, crepey looking neck too, wrinkles not so much (think that's down to genes and not letting much sun hit my face) - turned 50 a few months ago and in my 6th year of maintaining a 30lb loss...
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have that happening on my neck, as well.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Losing my chubby face has increased my wrinkles too. I take good care of my skin so it's frustrating.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, five feet tall and I've lost 31-32 kg - and I'v definitely noticed wrinkles. My face which was rounder and chubbier has creases where I smile - could be age of course, but more likely to be the weight loss. I've noticed some never there before wrinkles on my neck. My stomach ... urgh .. I don't have tonnes of loose skin thank goodness but while it's flat - it is wrinkley. I'll cope :D
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My skin looked a little worse when I first reached goal, but I think it settles over time, somewhat. I’ve also started using tret, and that helps a lot.

For the most part though, it’s worth a few wrinkles when I feel so much healthier. Ageing is a part of life.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have things that aren’t all that either like my cute lil lower belly fat. But my beautiful hair, above average face and nice thighs make up for it.
    Embrace and enjoy what you do have.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I've been at this 3.5 years, I've lost 92 pounds...yes I have loose skin on my stomach, legs, arms, and crepey skin on my neck and face. My rate of loss has been slow, I moisturize, hydrate etc but I now look older. It's okay because I am happier and feel better, that said I will give it some time and if it doesn't bounce back I will get surgery in a heartbeat. I don't care what you or any stranger on the street thinks, I just want to feel like me and recognize my own face. My face sags so much that people keep asking why I'm sad...I'm not sad, I'm drooping! lol