Need help!

Options
I am brand new to the app and I really need help staying motivated to lose weight. I go through bouts of getting motivated but they only last about two weeks. It's discouraging and frustrating. I have to lose weight. My knees are in horrible shape and I'm worried about my health. I also want to be able to enjoy outdoor activities. Any help or encouragement is welcome.

Replies

• j9izzypoo
    j9izzypoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It’s all a mindset. You have to really focus on your goal and the person you want to be. It’s about a change of lifestyle and making better choices. It can’t just be change for a few days or weeks. It has to be about a lifestyle choice that is long term. Put your mind to it and stay focused. If you have a bad day and eat something that threw you over the edge then the next day decrease your calories to even things out.

Again it’s all in your mind. Gain power over you and be the best you possible.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. No one can motivate you to do this but you. Everyday wake up and remind yourself why your here. Listen to motivational podcasts, read books about it. Post notes about it. Do whatever you need to. The beginning is hard. All the best I just take it one day at a time
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'm afraid you are on your own for motivation but maybe some of the success stories on here can inspire you? You have to get it in your mind, I CAN DO THIS and just do it! I've lost 70 plus lbs since April and am 54 years old. I was miserable and in a health crises condition. IF I can do it, most anyone can.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Focus on building healthy habits, picking a plan that's easy for you in the first place, and making changes gradually. Nobody stays motivated, that's not how real life works :smile:

All you need is a calorie deficit, everything else is about making it workable for you personally.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • Seachange_dogs
    Seachange_dogs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey. Knees suck. Well not really, they're pretty dang important. I blew my ACL last year and am now super f-ing worried about it. Like it consumes me, 6+ months of rehab, lingering pain, weird skin/nerve issues? Hell naw, I'm not doing that again. But I probably will end up doing it again if I don't work on getting my weight down, building muscles up around my knee and having better fitness. That's what I'm focusing on, keeping my knees happy, if they're happy, I'm happy. If I look better, well that's just a fringe benefit of loosing the weight.

Honestly. I'm just trying to log and log every day. Get myself into a good habit. Get myself used to assigning calories to foods and keeping them at a daily quota. One day at a time. You can do it too. Or we can do it together, feel free to add me. I'll shoot you a message and check in regularly if that's something you are interested in.
  • Rachelle1489
    Rachelle1489 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think one of the best things you can do is set small short term goals. If you are just looking at the big picture it's easy to get discouraged. For example, I honestly need to lose 50lbs if not more. But instead of looking at that big scary number every day, every week I plan out smaller goals. Like complete 3 workouts this week, take a 20 minute walk every day, get "X" amount of steps in this week, avoid eating _____. Accomplishing small goals makes me feel better and pushes me to keep accomplishing them which is a step in the right direction.

Having an accountability partner helps a lot too. Some one you can check in with regularly to share your success and your struggles.