Runner's Toe

For all you runners out there, some of you probably have experienced runner's toe. I started to get them last year. Initially I didnt know what was happening to the toenail and thankfully ignored the first search item on google that said to hammer a nail into the toenail to relieve the pressure... Now since I got runner's toe for the first time last year, it keeps coming back. I've done all the things that have been recommended to do to prevent the re-occurrence of runner's toe like changed my runners, running socks, keep my toenails short, etc but no matter what I do, when the old nail comes away with a nice new nail taking its place or the nail goes back to normal, the runner's toe starts up all over again. So i guess my question is, will this be a never ending cycle of runner's toe and something I just have to get used to or does runner's toe eventually disappear?

I run normally one 10k a week outside. Have been running for more or less the last 10 years.

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    I've had to go a size and a half up from my normal one to get a running shoe that is not battering my poor toes. I'd try a slightly bigger trainer - ideally get a proper running shop advice
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I've been having this problem as well! It's a real pain!

It didn't happen with my old running shoes, that had a soft top. These were vintage Saucony's. I did notice that one toe nail caused a small rip in the toe material.

First time it happened was with a brand new pair of highly-recommended Brooks. Two runs turned the inner half of a toenail black and eventually made it fall off. I returned them and switched to Asics (purchased a bit bigger than I had been used to, in fact) The toenail grew back, and all was fine.

Just recently, I started increasing the miles (training for a half marathon), and the problem has come back. It doesn't hurt much while I run, but afterward I can't wear formal shoes and have to wear my Keene low-rise hikers to work (they have very roomy toes).

I have not found a solution. I do think it has something to do with limited mobility in my big toe. It seems like the nail is starting to angle more upward.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Okay, I found the best solution to this problem a while ago: silicone toe caps. You can buy several different kinds on amazon, the kind I bought has small and large toe caps. The large fits over a big toe, the small over middle toes. There’s not a size small enough for my little toe but I never bruise any but my second toe so it hasn’t been an issue. You can trim the length to fit and they wash easily with soap and water and have lasted so far over a year. I wore sandals this summer, and had nice looking toenails for a change, instead of fake toenails painted over where my toenail used to be!

I did a search on amazon just now for silicone toe cap toe protector and a bunch of different options came up. Can’t remember which exact brand I use but they all seem pretty similar. You want the kind that covers the end of your toe, not the open kind.

You should probably start by trying going up a size in shoes, since many people buy running shoes too small. But in my case if I sized up the shoes started slipping on my heel. Especially trail running, my whole foot would slide forward inside the shoe and bang my toe. These toe protectors are the only thing that helps, they work, they are easy and you don’t feel them while running.

Thanks for that. I wouldnt be gone on going up a size in running shoes cos like with you, the shoes would start slipping on my heel and I dont want that. I'll go on Amazon and look for those toe caps. On both feet, its the toe beside the big toe.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @rheddmobile : I really appreciate the suggestion. I'm suffering as well!

I will definitely try a toe protector, but I'm wondering if making the toe larger in the shoe is really the answer in my case. Only one way to find out!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    For all you runners out there, some of you probably have experienced runner's toe. I started to get them last year. Initially I didnt know what was happening to the toenail and thankfully ignored the first search item on google that said to hammer a nail into the toenail to relieve the pressure... Now since I got runner's toe for the first time last year, it keeps coming back. I've done all the things that have been recommended to do to prevent the re-occurrence of runner's toe like changed my runners, running socks, keep my toenails short, etc but no matter what I do, when the old nail comes away with a nice new nail taking its place or the nail goes back to normal, the runner's toe starts up all over again. So i guess my question is, will this be a never ending cycle of runner's toe and something I just have to get used to or does runner's toe eventually disappear?

I run normally one 10k a week outside. Have been running for more or less the last 10 years.

Silly question, have you tried reverting back to the shoes you used before developing the problem? (I know, show companies tinker with their models from year to year so the current iteration of model X may be quite different than the same model from 5 years ago)

Black toenails seem to be a rite of passage for long distance runners (my highest volume weeks have been around 60km and I've been fortunate enough not to have lost any toenails) but you shouldn't be experiencing them at 10km a week. Have you had your shoes fitted by a running shop?

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    You might not need a bigger shoe size, but perhaps a model that just has a roomier toe box. I have never had an issue with black toenails, but I do limit my shoe purchases to roomy shoe brands. Mizuno and New Balance are my favorite. I can’t go near Nike because they are too narrow for me. Wide widths are too wide for me, so that’s not an option.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

Silly question, have you tried reverting back to the shoes you used before developing the problem? (I know, show companies tinker with their models from year to year so the current iteration of model X may be quite different than the same model from 5 years ago)

Black toenails seem to be a rite of passage for long distance runners (my highest volume weeks have been around 60km and I've been fortunate enough not to have lost any toenails) but you shouldn't be experiencing them at 10km a week. Have you had your shoes fitted by a running shop?

Issue started with Asics runners and I had those runners fitted by a running shop as with the next pair of Asics. However I used to always run in Asics runners before the issue started. I've changed now to Nike zoom runners so I'll see if the issue persists with that.
  • janineisaacs
    janineisaacs Posts: 6 Member
    Try Adidas boost ST. Also wore Asics Nimbus that hurt the big toe. If dont want to leave Asics try the GT 2000 which I alternate now on my runs with Adidas boost. Nice soft upper mesh that moves with your foot but I'm still getting support.