Not meeting.

Options
I keep not meeting my calorie goals. Usually sparing around 400-600. I eat full meals that make me very full and have a couple snacks. Ugh. Suggestions? Or should I just not worry abou it.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calorie snacks like nuts.
  • jadi97
    jadi97 Posts: 26
    Options
    could add some fruit to your oatmeal, or a glass of lowfat milk.
  • yad97
    yad97 Posts: 43
    Options
    What is your total intake? Most people shouldn't re-eat the calories they burn in a workout - or maybe just half. As long as you are getting at least 1200, you should be fine.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was totally going to say what previous post said. Add some almonds or avocado or even peanut butter on your crackers. I know it might be hard at first, but keeping under the 1200 calories a day really isn't great for you.... what about even a smoothie?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Two things, first, eat higher calories foods like nuts, avocado, protein bars/protein shakes and maybe cook with olive oil. Second, I would suggest using the below BMR calculator to determine your daily caloric needs. This way, you don't have to worry about eating back your exercise calories (it's figured into your total daily energy expended [TDEE]) and, you can aim for the same amount of calories each day so you don't have to scramble to eat calories. Under eating can be just as bad as over eating.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • arispawild
    arispawild Posts: 155
    Options
    Mine is about 1500 right now (It was 1700 for maintenence but I got all scared I'd gain) and I typically hit about 1200, this is without exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Mine is about 1500 right now (It was 1700 for maintenence but I got all scared I'd gain) and I typically hit about 1200, this is without exercise.

You are still young and you need to feed your metabolism. If you don't eat enough, you will slow your metabolism making it more difficult to lose weight. Every time I have plateaud, I have upped my calories and weight loss has continued.