MFP calorie total acting wierd

OK, so its probably isnt the proper place for this. But normally MFP takes your daily calorie goal subtracts calories from food and adds calories burned from exercise to your daily allowances. And then gives you total calories remaining to stay under or q6dba8n3jh52.jpg
reach your goal. But for some reason, today, its subtracting my calories burned from exercise from my daily total goal, so rather than adding calories to my daily limit like it normally does, its subtracting from it making my daily allowance less.

I hope I've explained this issue properly. And I was just curious if there was a certain setting I changed to do this or If it's a glitch and if anyone else is experiencing this.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are you syncing an activity tracker (Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch)?

Have you gone and looked at your Exercise Diary to see where the neg 300 comes from?

Get pic of that, and if an entry there that allows more details by tap/holding - get pic of that too.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    My first thought is this would be from an activity tracker as well with a negative calorie adjustment. Unless you accidentally added -300 calories when you entered your exercise?
  • JeffJensen2
    JeffJensen2 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2019
    Ok. I figured it out. The negative calorie adjustment was coming from Samsung health. I just disabled negative calorie adjustments in my diary settings for MFP. it's kind of wierd though because it's never done that before and negative adjustments was always on. Anyway happy to have it fixed. Thanks
  • tal_nahum
    tal_nahum Posts: 8 Member
    Can u explain my case?

Garmin calories:

6ysto6upxm8y.png

Apple health calories:

tsmpm4u561bs.png

im using vivosmart HR watch , Ill take the iphone calories as the correct one since it takes into account the activity level steps aswell and not adding them , i have negative adjustment active

• heybales
    edited September 2019
    Ok. I figured it out. The negative calorie adjustment was coming from Samsung health. I just disabled negative calorie adjustments in my diary settings for MFP. it's kind of wierd though because it's never done that before and negative adjustments was always on. Anyway happy to have it fixed. Thanks

Unless Samsung corrected things, it doesn't send correct info to MFP.
    It's like the Apple Watch direct sync.

Did you have workouts that were synced over or manually entered on MFP?

The negative adjustment doesn't come from SH, it's the result of what SH does send.

Tap and hold on that adjustment as the post after yours did, and get the details for the day.

Now, did SH say you burned in total the same total calories?
    This should be base calories, moving calories, exercise calories (or whatever their terms are) all added together.

MFP is expecting a Total calories burned figured and time stamp - that's it.
    Total means it should include any workouts and extra calorie burn. Total means Total.

SH used to send like base calories and workouts. I hadn't heard it was corrected.
    Wrong figures to send, and MFP ended up with bad math to your calorie goal.
  • heybales
    tal_nahum wrote: »
    Can u explain my case?

Garmin calories:

6ysto6upxm8y.png

Apple health calories:

tsmpm4u561bs.png

im using vivosmart HR watch , Ill take the iphone calories as the correct one since it takes into account the activity level steps aswell and not adding them , i have negative adjustment active

First off - syncing 2 devices very bad idea.

Second - did you really have the iPhone on you at all times, and did it see accurate distance to get a calorie burn from?
    Did the Garmin?

Unless you just see the Vivosmart going into HR-based calorie burn constantly through the day and creating workouts automatically (which you can delete or say not to make automatically) - I'd trust the Garmin data more.

Third - those probably aren't Apple Health calories - it appears you used the option to have your MFP app sync directly with your iphone as Step Source.

Apple health direct sync does have an issue.
    Apple sends NOT the Total calories burned for the day, but the base calories which is basically the same as MFP Sedentary.
    And any workouts.
    The don't include the workout calories in what is sent as Total, nor your increased activity above sedentary.

So when MFP does math and compares Total burned to what it knows about already - which includes workouts that were synced or manually entered - you get hosed up figures.

It's supposed to be:
    Tracker Total - MFP non-exercise daily estimate - MFP logged workouts = adjustment.
    Base eating goal + workouts + adjustment = new eating goal
    Say 2579 - 2364 - 0 = 215 adj
    1850 + 0 + 215 = 2065 new eating goal (about 500 cal deficit)

If a 300 cal workout had increased your daily burn AND was synced over, then:
    2879 - 2364 - 300 = 215 adj
    1850 + 300 + 215 = 2365 new eating goal (about 500 cal deficit still)

That's what you get from Garmin synced.

But in that case what you'd get from direct Apple Health sync is:
    2364 - 2364 - 300 = neg 300 adjustment
    1850 + 300 - 300 = 1850 new eating goal.

And any extra daily activity isn't in that Tracker Total sent over either - making the matter worse.