Help I can't stop the sweet craving!! and the snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• thornbee3
    thornbee3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I buy the Skinny Cow Ice creams! The chocolate fudge bar is DELISH and only 100 cals...its a good amount too! I also drink Slim fast shakes 1-2 x a day. I but the powder and mix it with skim mile. Its like drinking chocolate milk which I LOVE! Im a sweet addict and these two things have really helped me with the cravings!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    chew gum..... lots of gum ......

You could try chewing gum, although studies have shown that artificial sweetener will make you crave more carbohydrates. . .artificial sweetener causes your leptin (a chemical signal made by fat cells to tell your brain to stop eating) sensitivity to decrease.

I know they really make me hungry! I can go for hours after waking up without being hungry, until I drink a cup of tea with artificial sweetner in it. Then watch out!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    First, when you're bored, try to find something, anything, to occupy your mind other than eating! I like to get on MFP and read posts and success stories that help motivate me! Message your MFP friends, or start a fun thread! Or exercise! That will burn calories, and it helps curb your appetite!

Second, try to find some healthy "sweets" to help with the cravings. I have a major sweet tooth, and I have to have something from time to time or I'll go insane, and take my family with me!! (just ask my hubby! lol) I like strawberries with cool whip or even chocolate cool whip, bananas with just a little hershey syrup, or a low cal ice cream treat (like philly stix-kinda of an Italian ice popsicle). I find if I try to go without, I will end up giving in in a bad way! And if you like bananas, freeze a couple and throw them in a blender or food processor until they get creamy and have some faux banana icecream! Yum! Good luck to ya!
  • ShreddedOne
    Options
    To stop the cravings, you have to go (I think it's 21 days) without it. This will break you of the habit. I went through the same thing. FIRST, you must have the discipline to fight the cravings and say "no". Do that for about 3 weeks, and you won't need so much discipline anymore. The cravings will go away or greatly diminish. By the end of the three weeks, the body will have broken the habit AND you'll have the added willpower and confidence that comes from saying "no" and seeing the results.

I think the problem many of us make is listening to the slackers that say, "oh treat yourself once in a while ... once a week, cheat ..." Frankly, in my earlier more gung ho days, I didn't WANT to cheat. If I don't feel like eating grease and fat, then why should I do it just because you tell me to??! People were telling me to eat unhealthy once a week; I resented that. I ate perfectly all week long, I saw results, significant results. I wasn't tired of the healthy food; there are plenty of tasty healthy options. One really bad cheat day would erase half a week's discipline -- AND bring back cravings I had previously beaten -- which brings me back to my point. The biggest mistake we make once we have beaten the cravings, is allowing ourselves to be talked into cheating. The cravings come back after that. Don't have cheat days; there are some foods you should swear off of for the rest of your life. Say no, go through withdrawal for a little while, never relapse.

Don't listen to the weaklings who don't know what they're talking about with their "cheat days". Be strong. Be disciplined. Remember your goal and what you want. Say no. Break the habit. Take pride in your results and your discipline.
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes nearby, they have really great small desserts like mini ice cream cones and ice cream sandwiches that are about 90 calories each (but you have to be careful and not eat all of them at once). I also love their 100 calorie dark chocolate because it's the perfect amount and only 100 calories (and delicious!). They have milk chocolate, too. I've never been good at just breaking off a square and being happy, it has to be the whole bar. I find that the dark chocolate is good because it's so rich that it takes care of my craving without making me want to binge on more. The TJ bars only have 9 grams of sugar because the higher the cocoa count, the lower the sugar. Also, if I eat things high in sugar, it causes me to crave more so if I can hold off for longer, I crave sugar less. I don't bring sweets into my house often anymore except for the chocolate bars and occasionally the mini ice creams. If they are there, I'll eat them. Have you tried substituting natural foods like apples when you get a craving? Try to stay away from the artificial sweetners and diet sodas, studies have proven that they make you gain more weight.

Finally, my accupuncturist said that when you have a sugar craving, you should drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water to negate the flavor craving. It's not too bad...
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    chew gum..... lots of gum ......

You could try chewing gum, although studies have shown that artificial sweetener will make you crave more carbohydrates. . .artificial sweetener causes your leptin (a chemical signal made by fat cells to tell your brain to stop eating) sensitivity to decrease.

I know they really make me hungry! I can go for hours after waking up without being hungry, until I drink a cup of tea with artificial sweetner in it. Then watch out!

Yeah tell me about it! Artificial sweeteners are really unsafe as well in my opinion.
    Try a Stevia type alternative which is a naturally sweet herb. . .this should be easily accesible nowadays
  • ShreddedOne
    Options
    I'm starting 30 days with no sugar tomorrow.
    I had some good luck with doing the South Beach diet phase 1 with overcoming a sugar addiction it's restrictive but works. This time around I'm just cutting out refined sugar, and white flour. But I am going to allow myself to have fruit every now and then and yoplait. For me it's easier to just not have any at all. If I have one sweet, I will likely have more.

Oh man, if you drop the sugar for a month, you will drop tons (not literally) of fat. But expect to be kinda lethargic as your body burns the fat for fuel. Drink lots o' water.

Totally agree with, "... it's easier to just not have any at all. ..."
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth, and do give in to it from time to time. However, what I've found really helpful the rest of the time is green tea. When I'm drinking that I really don't want the sweet stuff (especially ice cream).

You have to make it quite weak though otherwise I find it can be quite bitter (I'll happily draw through the same leaves/bag a few times), so even if you end up paying quite a bit for the tea it can work out quite cheap per cup.

My danger period is in the evenings after I've put my son to bed, so before I even think about reaching for some treat or other I put the kettle on, and then just keep refilling my cup.
  • revnica
    revnica Posts: 50
    Options
    Try fat free chocolate pudding, or turkeyhill vanilla bean ice cream light recipe. Both are pretty low in calories!!!
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 30 days with no sugar tomorrow.
    I had some good luck with doing the South Beach diet phase 1 with overcoming a sugar addiction it's restrictive but works. This time around I'm just cutting out refined sugar, and white flour. But I am going to allow myself to have fruit every now and then and yoplait. For me it's easier to just not have any at all. If I have one sweet, I will likely have more.

Oh man, if you drop the sugar for a month, you will drop tons (not literally) of fat. But expect to be kinda lethargic as your body burns the fat for fuel. Drink lots o' water.

Totally agree with, "... it's easier to just not have any at all. ..."

I will still have limited whole wheat bread, pasta, or rice. And I will be eating fruit. So it's more like phase 2 of south beach. But I don't think it'll be bad. I did pretty good on South Beach as long as I ate enough protein and made it a point to eat six small meals throughout the day. That's what I'm aiming to do. I loved what you said in your post. It's so good to just say no. If you are truly having a problem with it. I know this is going to help me break the cycle I've been in. I'm not saying I'll never have a sweet treat again, but I am at a point where I am thinking I may need to say goodbye to some foods forever. Chocolate may be one of those that need to just be gone...oh how I love it but it's bad news for me. I'll reassess after 30 days. I did give up Chocolate for 9 months about 5 years ago and I have to say after about a couple of weeks I really didn't mind it was gone. That would feel better than wanting it all the time :)
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    To stop the cravings, you have to go (I think it's 21 days) without it. This will break you of the habit. I went through the same thing. FIRST, you must have the discipline to fight the cravings and say "no". Do that for about 3 weeks, and you won't need so much discipline anymore. The cravings will go away or greatly diminish. By the end of the three weeks, the body will have broken the habit AND you'll have the added willpower and confidence that comes from saying "no" and seeing the results.

I think the problem many of us make is listening to the slackers that say, "oh treat yourself once in a while ... once a week, cheat ..." Frankly, in my earlier more gung ho days, I didn't WANT to cheat. If I don't feel like eating grease and fat, then why should I do it just because you tell me to??! People were telling me to eat unhealthy once a week; I resented that. I ate perfectly all week long, I saw results, significant results. I wasn't tired of the healthy food; there are plenty of tasty healthy options. One really bad cheat day would erase half a week's discipline -- AND bring back cravings I had previously beaten -- which brings me back to my point. The biggest mistake we make once we have beaten the cravings, is allowing ourselves to be talked into cheating. The cravings come back after that. Don't have cheat days; there are some foods you should swear off of for the rest of your life. Say no, go through withdrawal for a little while, never relapse.

Don't listen to the weaklings who don't know what they're talking about with their "cheat days". Be strong. Be disciplined. Remember your goal and what you want. Say no. Break the habit. Take pride in your results and your discipline.

Well said! Can't agree more! Especially for those truly addicted and having a problem like I do.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Atkins Advantage bars always crave my sweet tooth cravings & are quite healthy.
  • azzalene72
    Options
    I'm the same!!! Last Friday - I made myself go cold turkey.

Since Friday - I've lost 1kg - and 1cm from my stomach and 1cm from my butt!!!!! in DAYS!! I feel soooo good it's ridiculous. This is massive for me - because the weight has been extremely slow to come off.

Plus - as soon as I got into the office today, my boss said he could notice weight has dropped from my face and neck. Just from a few days without sugar. I'm using pure organic stevia as a sweetener. That's seriously the only change I've made to my diet.

I'm using MFP to track my sugar to keep the consumption down (especially fructose).

Step away from the sugar. If I can do it anyone can! I'm completely convinced it's worth the effort. I'M worth the effort :)

This is the article that triggered me to experiment: au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/.../sugar-fructose-weight-gain/

Learn more: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425

And keep on learning - knowledge is power!

Best of luck :)
  • tohorse
    tohorse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try the weight watcher icecream bars they are wonderful and only 3 points. We have switched to them over popcorn with loads of butter. I love the dreamcicle and berry ones. They come mixed in the same box. the only problem here is the store runs out of them Imediately so hard to get. You would think they would order extra when something sell well.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water. If you're active, drink more to replace what you sweat out. Often times thirst can trigger a sweet tooth. Sometimes I'll have an herbal tea (I like the green tea with berry flavor) and maybe put in a 1/2 tsp of honey.

Try eating your favorite fruits to satisfy a sweet tooth.

Or, if you're able to just have a little and be satisfied, plan it into your day. You can have a little icecream if you plan your calories. Or those Skinny Cow ice cream treats are yummy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's and HD is how i satisfy my sweet tooth, despite what people say you can in fact eat things in moderation and it will have no effect on your weight loss
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    A nutritionist once told me "if you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, you are not hungry". I follow that now when I have a sweet tooth screaming at me. I will eat an apple and usually the caving goes away.

If I still have the craving, I keep a SMALL amount of dark chocolate covered fruit around (right now it is goji berries) and limit myself to a very small serving (12 dark chocolate covered goji berries is 1/2 a serving on MFP and about 65 calories). I savor every one and then go find something to do with my hands, beading, crochet, origami...anything I can focus on and keep my hands busy doing something beside snacking!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

All right, I'm going to disagree a little with what was said above. A "cheat" day doesn't have to mean you go all out and eat anything, everything, and as much as you want. What I will do is allow myself more of what is good for me... an extra helping of fruit... more veggies... stuff like that. Or, I will allow myself to have a slice of cheesecake, if that's what I want. I won't do it if I feel it's going to set me back to craving bad stuff all the time. But I'm not a "purist" believer, I'm a "everything in moderation" believer.

Most people agree at this point that it is NOT as simple as "calories in - calories burned = weight loss/gain". Sure, good rule of thumb, but our bodies don't always follow those rules... it can and will go into "starvation" mode. Oh, and if you're a 45-55 year old female, it's very likely your hormones and metabolism are certainly not playing by the rules! So, part of the challenge is finding what is right for you. Try the advice given (absolutely wonderful to get so many varying opinions in such a short time btw) that you think "fits" you and then see if it works.

GOOD LUCK! The one thing we all know is that we CAN do it... it may take a little trial and error along the way, though!