I just want to feel good

Options
I cannot get motivated to exercise. What motivates you?

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    jewels9140 wrote: »
    I cannot get motivated to exercise. What motivates you?

I live near a beautiful national park. I walk/slow jog out there and connect my exercise with meditation practices, which I personally love. Pick an exercise you enjoy, whatever it may be -- or take a class if you can't motivate yourself.

I also agree with TheHeathenHiker above -- death and health issues motivate me. I'm lowering my high blood pressure. I don't want to go on meds and don't want a stroke or worse because I'm too lazy to move.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Becoming the buffest chick I know. Also i feel 100× more confident, healthy, capable and strong
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    On water rowing is really, really fun. Spin class is reasonably fun. But those are my fun.

I'd advise seeking out your fun: If you find an active thing that's so much fun you'd do it even it if weren't good for you, it's no trouble at all to keep doing it. Feeling better, being healthier, burning more calories, getting fitter: Those are all just happy side effects. That's the sweet spot.

People sometimes think they have to go to the gym and do something punitive and exhausting, or it won't build fitness or help them burn calories. It's just not true. Any form of moving our bodies burns more calories and makes us fitter than sitting on the couch: Gym machines are one set of things, but there's also walking, running, swimming, bicycling, rowing, canoeing, a zillion kinds of group classes, several different styles of weight training (and dozens of programs within the styles), bodyweight strength exercises, tennis, racketball, bunches of kinds of dancing (from square dancing to ballet to hip hop to ballroom and everything in between), roller skating, many styles of martial arts, active video/virtual games, . . . I could go on and on, but you get it.

Have some fun! :)

P.S. Even trying things, to find your favorites, can be fun. Just give somewhat complicated things a fair trial of at least a few sessions, to get past the newbie blues. Most of us feel awkward doing something new, like we're not as talented or coordinated as the people already doing it. But they were all new, once, too (and the non-jerk ones remember how it felt ;) ). But things that are instantly easy tend to get boring with time, whereas things that are a little more challenging or technical at first can be entertaining longer.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    . . . the feeling that I get after exercising :) Seriously, I had this issue yesterday, I ran an errand before going to the gym, then changed my mind and while waiting for the bus I felt like I would regret not getting in even a little workout. I picked up a cup of coffee and had a great workout. Sometimes getting started is harder than the workout itself - I started working out because I needed to do something that was just for ME! Find your why and go from there!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Music.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try to find something you’re actually going to like. I love lifting and tennis, so I’m motivated to go and do those things. However, when you’re just starting it’s all about building the habit... in other words, make yourself go until you start to want to go. But there are lots of alternatives to the gym if you actually hate that. And make sure you don’t compare yourself to anyone else. Your goal should always be focused on YOU, and doing just a little better each time.

Good luck!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Doing something I feel like doing, whatever that may be at the time.

If I don't feel like going for a run then nothing in the world is going to make me put on my running shoes. Luckily there's lots and lots of other things I can do to stay active so I'll pick one of them. Maybe today I'll feel like going for a swim or riding my bike or just going for a long walk or whatever.

Some days I don't feel like doing anything so, I'll decide to do nothing if that's what will make me happiest.
  • FITgirl222
    FITgirl222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Find an audiobook you like and ONLY listen when you exercise.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    FITgirl222 wrote: »
    Find an audiobook you like and ONLY listen when you exercise.

This is a great idea. I love listening to audio books or podcasts when I walk. I find that the time seems to go by waaaayyy faster. And I also feel like it’s really good “me” time because I’m doing something I like (reading).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Crushing a 400 lb deadlift.

I love you! I would adapt you if I could!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Aesthetics right now
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My main motivation is WANTING TO LIVE, feeling good and being confident again. and you don't need a gym membership to get fit either. I started out walking. then a couple months later, started weight training and spin bike in my basement. -71 lbs since April.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Make it part of your routine and just do it!