Makeup - questions and chatter:

Options
infamousmk
infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
Maybe some of the cosmetology professionals can help me out here, too.... I make not claim to know WTF I'm talking about other than reading a lot, spending a lot of time in the MAC store, watching a lot of youtube makeup gurus, and having a couple of makeup artist friends.. :D

BUT, I love makeup and want to help ladies any way I can! Got a question??

Replies

• sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Im in the middle of my cosmetology course right now and my instructor never teaches us how to blend or where to do the crease for eye shadow! Any tips? She always says, blend blend blend, but never shows us, and when I ask she always says sure, and then forgets or gets busy with something else!

Thanks!
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Whats the best thing to use to clean brushes with =)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    what's the best eyeshadow color to use for someone like me with greenish-grey colored eyes? I want something to make them pop. My husband's always been partial to purple, but he likes purple things on me.
  • sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    what's the best eyeshadow color to use for someone like me with greenish-grey colored eyes? I want something to make them pop. My husband's always been partial to purple, but he likes purple things on me.

Your husbands on to something! Purple would be great on your eye colour because it will make your eyes stand out! I just finished colour theory in my course! Purple, or I would use some gold if you want to bring out the green!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    antibacterial soap and warm water.

do it once every two weeks for brushes used on eyebrows and once a week for foundation, blush/bronzer, and lip brushes.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Whats the best thing to use to clean brushes with =)

my above post was a response to this
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Hi!

Im in the middle of my cosmetology course right now and my instructor never teaches us how to blend or where to do the crease for eye shadow! Any tips? She always says, blend blend blend, but never shows us, and when I ask she always says sure, and then forgets or gets busy with something else!

Thanks!

Touch your eyeball (with your eyelid closed! lol) and you'll feel where the top of your eyeball goes back in to your socket, and it's like the deepest place you can push ... that's where your darkest crease color needs to go. Well, depending .. mostly start here and you'll start to figure out what is perfect for your eyes. I tend to concentrate my crease color just above this deep spot.
  • infamousmk
    Options

Your husbands on to something! Purple would be great on your eye colour because it will make your eyes stand out! I just finished colour theory in my course! Purple, or I would use some gold if you want to bring out the green!

YES! Purples and bronzey golds!
  • dmhat6278
    dmhat6278 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey, all the years of being out in the sun have left me with some dark spots on the lower corners of my eyes--kinda high cheek bone area. Do know of anything I could use to hide this? I currently use Mary Kay concealer but it doesn't totally hide the discoloration. Thanks!
  • Bead_Maker
    Bead_Maker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a hopeless 34 yr old tomboy that's pretty much only worn make up if someone else did it. LOL I think I need to enroll in this magical cosmetology course you speak of! It may be my only hope at this point because NOTHING is obvious to this chick! I'd be lucky to use chapstick properly.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have greenish hazel eyes & a light purple makes them pop...also like WHITE eyeliner on the top! Like to play with gold & silvery shades too...I say have FUN with eye makeup:)
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Hi!

Thanks!

Also, I've found the easiest way to get colors to blend is to put a light, skin toned color dusted just below and above the crease.. then use a stiff pencil brush to apply the crease color. Then use a fluffy domed brush with a little shadow on it to blend off the edges of the crease color.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    I'm a hopeless 34 yr old tomboy that's pretty much only worn make up if someone else did it. LOL I think I need to enroll in this magical cosmetology course you speak of! It may be my only hope at this point because NOTHING is obvious to this chick! I'd be lucky to use chapstick properly.

Do you have a MAC store in your mall? My MAC store does little tutorial classes every month or so -- you pay $50 (which they put on a GC for you) .. then you go to the class, learn some tips, and at the end you get to spend your $50 GC. So, basically the little tutorial part is free!
  • KristinL19
    KristinL19 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's funny how things work out sometimes. Earlier today I was thinking about my own makeup routine and had a question of my own. How generous of you to offer your knowledge!

I wear foundation everyday because my face goes very red without it, and honestly I don't have very good skin at all. Just wondering if it's bad to wear foundation everyday, or if you have any useful tips (sometimes depending on weather/situations, it becomes very visable and not so attractive).

Thanks so much!
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Youtube is also a great resource to learn makeup stuff!!! Some of my favorite 'gurus' are:

emilynoel83
    makeupgeektv
    pixi2woo
    vintageortacky
  • seatern
    seatern Posts: 15
    Options
    I get brutal bags under my eyes, they're puffy and dark coloured. I get completely overwhelmed by the different products out there and have everything from powders to liquids to creams.... what works best?

Also what's the best way to match a colour... I always seem to get tricked into getting one too light and then I look like reverse raccoon highlighting my flaws.

Thanks!
  • infamousmk
    Options
    It's funny how things work out sometimes. Earlier today I was thinking about my own makeup routine and had a question of my own. How generous of you to offer your knowledge!

I wear foundation everyday because my face goes very red without it, and honestly I don't have very good skin at all. Just wondering if it's bad to wear foundation everyday, or if you have any useful tips (sometimes depending on weather/situations, it becomes very visable and not so attractive).

Thanks so much!

PRIMER!!! Depending on your skin composition - if you're normal or dry, Smashbox makes a good one .. .umm.. I've heard good stuff about the ELF (at Target) primer.. I use the MAC one right now because my skin was too oily for Smashbox. So, you moisturize (if that's your thing), let that sink in for five minutes or so, and then put on a very thin layer of primer, just to your Tzone, let that soak in for 5min or so, and put your foundation on top. Best makeup product ever.

Also, I don't wear liquid foundation every day. I found a powder foundation that works pretty well, so I use that on days I want lighter coverage.

You could always try tinted moisturizer in the summer. It'll give a sheer bit of foundation-y coverage, but not be all cakey.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm a make-up artist if you get bombarded with questions and you probably will. I can help if you need:)
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Hey, all the years of being out in the sun have left me with some dark spots on the lower corners of my eyes--kinda high cheek bone area. Do know of anything I could use to hide this? I currently use Mary Kay concealer but it doesn't totally hide the discoloration. Thanks!

MAC and Kat VonD both make really heavy duty coverups for tattoos and such.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Lol I'm a make-up artist if you get bombarded with questions and you probably will. I can help if you need:)

Yeah, didn't realize so many folks would want to know stuff!! I'm only one girl, and I'm only self-taught! Halps are great! :D