Runners - How Do You Hydrate on Long Runs?

Options
I am training for a marathon that is 9 weeks away and my long runs are getting longer and longer. I have a 15-mile run scheduled for this Saturday and a 16-miler for the next. Given how muggy the weather is, I am worried about adequate hydration.

I have an Amphipod hydration belt that holds six 8-oz bottles. That has been sufficient so far. For my 14-mile run two weeks ago, I started with that belt and also a disposable water bottle in my hand and I did OK. I am worried that this will not be enough for longer runs though.

So what do you do for your longer runs? Do you own hydration packs that hold more liquids or have you come up with a different solution? I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The runs I have done have all had water stops at 3 mile intervals. I always carry an 8oz water bottle with me, and have a camel pan, but haven't yet used it. A couple of times on training runs my husband has met me 45 mins in with another water bottle.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I live in the city in a real urban area and I run around in my neighborhood, so there are no water fountains. One thing I thought of was buying a camel bak, but I do not want to spend so much money for something that I will not use that often.

I live in a gated condo complex, however, and maybe I can leave a few bottles at the guard's hut and pick them up, if I arrange my run as two loops of the same route.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i drop bottles of Gatorade in the bushes at strategic points along my long run route. I just make sure the bottles haven't been opened the next morning when i go run. I dont like carrying stuff on me during my runs so this works well. I also make sure that I run through the park right about the time I generally need to pee during my run, it makes thinks much more comfortable than going in the bushes!

good luck!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I regularly run 30km to 44km runs, and have gotten used to wearing a small backpack with three extra 750ml bottles of gatorade, plus my gels and a bottle of Boost. With my waist belt bottle (600ml) that gives me a total of almost 3 litres of water (over 3 quarts). I cynch the pack snug to my chest and tummy so that it doesn't bounce around. It's heavy for the start of the run, but lightens up as I empty the bottles and gives me something to look forward to. It gives me the feeling that if I can run with an extra 7 or 8 pounds on my back in training, I'll be like a bullet train during a run with aid stations.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Find a loop that will pass my car and have bottles of cold fluid in there that I can pour into my bottles!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt that has two little bottles on it, I LOVE IT!!!!

Good luck with your big race, I am doing my second Half on September 11.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    I feel encumbered if I carry anything more than a gel hidden away in a pocket for fuel. I know all the water fountains along the way and enjoy getting to them! Something to look forward to.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm training for a 1/2, so not running as far as you. I find the waist belt sufficient, but make sure I'm really well hydrated to begin. That said, I lost 3 lbs of water weight on a long run last week (needless to say, I drank tons to make up for it). I've tried to run with a Camelback, which I love for hiking, but find it cumbersome and really hard to keep from bouncing.
  • dawnxoxo1
    Options
    You can get a decent camelbak at walmart that would be sufficient. That's what I do, but I only run 1/2 marathons.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    i drop bottles of Gatorade in the bushes at strategic points along my long run route. I just make sure the bottles haven't been opened the next morning when i go run. I dont like carrying stuff on me during my runs so this works well. I also make sure that I run through the park right about the time I generally need to pee during my run, it makes thinks much more comfortable than going in the bushes!

good luck!

+1 on this reply. I am a "dropper" too.

Works great, but takes some planning. I have found the planned stops to be encouraging, and will often plant gels, a granola bar, sharkies...... sometimes fresh socks!!! haha.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Find a loop that will pass my car and have bottles of cold fluid in there that I can pour into my bottles!

This is what I do. I have a belt that can hold 40 oz (4x10) & on my really long runs I would swing back past the car & usually fill 2 more up.
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    I wear a camelbak for the long runs.
  • mbeltran06
    Options
    Invest in a Camelpak. You can buy them at walmart or any outdoor stores...I love mine. I take it everywhere!! LOL....good job on the running BTW
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not that this probably will help anyone, but I run with a Bob double jogging stroller with ample carrying space for water lol. I also usually carry with me two toddlers, some diapers, a portable potty and wet wipes. ;) Of course, I'm not running as far as you folks. Hopefully one day!
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Camelbak flashflo that holds 45 oz. of fluids. Works for me. My husband does a loop numerous times past the car or house when he doesn't feel like using his Camelbak.
  • Trishrunnerhi
    Trishrunnerhi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also plan the run out in advance and drop water bottles in strategic places. Even a bar or some gel too. I carried the hydration belt/bottles but for a run that long, it is so easy to chaffe in places you never expected and wearing a belt is a set up for a raw area. And there's nothing worse than getting in that shower after a run that long and having something sting like heck because the skin was rubbed raw and you didn't know it.

I also chose my 22 mile runs along a bike path where my son could bike with me and carry my supplies for me. Only problem with that is never trust a clueless 13 year old who gets so far ahead that he actually does no good to supply his mother with anything but a lot of aggravation, lol!

The hydration packs need to be specifically for running. If you get a camelback and it jiggles around on your back, you'll be sorry. It'll be annoying as well as something else to chaffe your back.

Good luck, which one are you doing? It'll be a day you'll never forget! Changes your perception of yourself and your limits forever.

trish