inconsistent cal burned measurements??

Options
Has anyone noticed that when you input cardio, say elliptical, the calories that MFP says you burned doesn't match what the machine says you burned? Idk which one to go by... what do you do, go with what MFP says or do you manually input what the machine tells you?

Replies

• helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I go by what the machine says. MFP doesn't know what intensity you are doing it, just how long.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    when that happens, i just take the lower one. especially if you eat your exercise cals back! better safe than sorry
  • Marycan2
    Marycan2 Posts: 28
    Options
    I put what the machine tells me...the machine knows the different speeds and resistance...MFP doesn't
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would go by which ever one shows me the less calories burned. That way I don't over-estimate anything.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    I keep my hands on the heart rate thing the whole time... then at the end of my session, the screen tells me my average heart hate .. when I get home I use this website: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm and it tells me a more accurate result (so I HOPE!!)
  • sreece13
    sreece13 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes I agree too. I go with what the machine says.
  • rhonda4444
    rhonda4444 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think the machines can be off if they do not take your weight. I have went to other websites for calorie burn and they are just as inconsistent. I will take the lower one if I know it. But I have used the higher (mfp) when I know it was too low on the machine register.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Just started with MFP but have already experienced the same thing. I've noticed different apps report different cals burned. iMapMyRun shows fewer cals burned than the MFP estimates. I'm going to test the Nike app next.

As for what I logged...I put in the iMapMyRun number only because it was lower. I figure if I err on the low side, I could only be surprised in a happy way if I used the wrong number. i do the same if I search for food and find multiple entries with inconsistant values...I take the higher cal (until I can research it).

I would love to hear from someone at MFP where they got the estimates for the various exercises. Were they all submitted by other users? Does it take into account the size you are or BMI?

thanks,
    Shaj
  • klsnell1981
    klsnell1981 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks guys... i was really astonished today when i put in my 60min of elliptical (which said i burned 675cal) and MFP said I burned like 1050!!! I wish....
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You can change the number!!!! You have to enter in your own information!

I would suggest you take the machine but minue 75-100 calories off it! Unless you have an HRM the machine is not an accurate number.

As I have become more fit, the number gets further and further away. Today I did the eliptical for 40 minutes and the machine said I burned 540 calories but my HRM said 400

Just my suggestion!!!!
  • fiercelittlebird
    fiercelittlebird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned depends on a lot of things. The intensity and length of the exercise and also your weight. If you are putting your weight into the machine when programming it, and keeping your hands on the heart monitor the whole time, then go with what the machine says!
  • klsnell1981
    klsnell1981 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned depends on a lot of things. The intensity and length of the exercise and also your weight. If you are putting your weight into the machine when programming it, and keeping your hands on the heart monitor the whole time, then go with what the machine says!

I do enter my weight when starting, but I didnt know that I needed to keep my hands on the heart monitor panels... does it really make a difference?? (I ask because i prefer to hold the handles right in front of the display, not the moving handles with the HR panels... but I would if it would help!)