How do you become a runner?

Options
I have tried and tried but no matter what I just cannot get conditioned to run. One day I can go for a while but a day later I am out of breath and feel like I am going to collapse after 30 seconds at 6.0 on the treadmill. I always have to do a warm up or I definitely won't make it. I have seen articles and read magazines but I just cannot get it. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Perhaps outside running is the way to go...I don't know but I would like to actually run for 1 mile without stopping so again any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• brmeese
    brmeese Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried but no matter what I just cannot get conditioned to run. One day I can go for a while but a day later I am out of breath and feel like I am going to collapse after 30 seconds at 6.0 on the treadmill. I always have to do a warm up or I definitely won't make it. I have seen articles and read magazines but I just cannot get it. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Perhaps outside running is the way to go...I don't know but I would like to actually run for 1 mile without stopping so again any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!!!

start with fast walkiing...swing those arms,,,,get sweaty walking fast....build up to it
  • daisy262
    daisy262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! When I first started running, I truly couldn't get across the street before feeling like I was going to collapse. It sounds like you are going too fast... try slowing down just a bit, or alternating running and walking so you can catch your breath (ie. run 4 minutes, walk 4 minutes, then gradually decrease the walking portion).

Also, this book was extremely helpful when I started... it's called "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. It's an easy read:
    http://www.amazon.com/Courage-Start-Guide-Running-Your/dp/0684854554/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235700419&sr=8-1

Good luck!
    Janine
  • ggooding12
    Options
    I was the same way only 9 weeks ago. I could only run 2 tenths of a mile. Now I can do 2.5 easy. you nned to slow down to 5.0. Do not be going gunghoe off the bat. Then every 2 - 3 days, add 1 tenth of a mile. When I hit 2.5 miles, I stopped lenghtening my rum and now am working on spped. I do 2.5 miles at 5.7 speed almost every morning. Then half the time I do 1 - 2 miles after work.
  • kimbey76
    kimbey76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would also say you are going too fast to start, I started at 5.0, a slow jog, and gradually increased to 5.6 for a comfortable run, pushing myself to do 6.0 for about ten minutes. When I started I ran with the incline set to about 5, later when I wanted to increase my speed I decreased my incline to 1. A trick I learned that helped a lot with my breathing was to put my arms up and rest them on the screen part of the treadmill, it opens up your chest and allows you to breath deeper. It helped me increase my endurance a lot. Gradually do 2 minutes arms down, 2 minutes up increasing your arms down until you are running a 5km without stopping! Running outside is so much more fun, it goes faster, but I think you tend to push yourself more and get more out of breath due to hills and wind... I ran my first 5k last october and plan on doing a 10k this year hopefully, or maybe just get my speed up for the 5k and finish faster. Running is a great way to burn calories, increase your cardiovascular fitness level and increase your self esteem. It is very empowering. Good luck and keep working at it, baby steps.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I would also suggest finding a group to run with. I just finished running a half marathon with my group. I joined a Galloway Group. They started back late last summer and trained every week. Knowing I was meeting people and sharing rides made me (motivated) have to go. Check your local running store and ask about training groups. They may have several to choose from. Most big races have training groups. The group I joined had several different pace groups. I was able to find my pace and then run with the same people from there on. I am going to do the training again next year but I think I am going to move up a pace group. Now I also now some other runners so I can plan some training runs and since we all run about the same pace it makes it easier.
  • jelee18
    Options
    Although I'm not yet a runner, I have found this helpful... http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    this is very helpful. i've also wanted to try and start running
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I started running 2 years ago. I recommend slowing down, taking walk breaks. You don't have to start at 6 mph. The couch 2 5k plan is a good one. And don't give up! If you want to be a runner you can be a runner. I won't lie, I remember starting and it was tough. And then 1 year and 5 months later I ran my 1st full marathon! I would have NEVER believed that possible!
  • andriarose
    andriarose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    the most important step in running is to get your breathing in rythym while you're running. That is what keeps you moving. Think about breathing in through your nose for 3 or 4 beats and breathing out through your mouth for the same amount of beats. I had trouble at first till someone taught me that and now I run over 3 miles a day. But also start off on a slow set pace to begin with.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just started running last month and am fast getting addicted! I joined a running group and have found this great for motivation. We just started off walking two minutes and running a minute and gradually increasing from there. We are now running 18 minutes and will be doing a 5k race in 2 weeks. If I can do this, anyone can!!! :laugh:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi brmeese,

It's interesting that you ask the question "How do you become a runner?" and use the expression to get conditioned to run. When we were kids we just..........ran. We didn't think about it, we just did it. Now that we're "older' and therefore (we presume) more knowledgable we starting overthinking stuff and get all caught up in ourselves. :ohwell:

I like the suggestions you've gotten so far: join a running club/group, SLOW DOWN is a great one that's been repeated a few times. 6.0 is 10 minute miles, that's fairly pushing it for a beginner. I liked your own suggestion of getting outside. Try this one. Look ahead down the road and decide to run/jog to the next lamp post, then walk briskly, then pick another lamp post and run to that one. Make it fun for yourself. Enjoy it. Stick with it and don't try to push yourself too soon.

G'luck :flowerforyou:
  • strangesangria
    strangesangria Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have started a program called the couch to 5k running program where you gradually run more each week. I found a great podcast that actually plays music while a trainer tells you when to run and then when to slow down to a walk. I am on week 5 and I am loving it. Its a 9 week program. I started out getting out of breath just trying to run for 3 minutes or less. I just ran 17 minutes the other day with out stopping. You can download the podcast here

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

Also, there is a breakdown of the actual program at this website

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Hope this helps :smile:

I have been sick this week and haven't been able to do the program and its driving me crazy. I swear its addictive
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is fantastic. Basically you start out slow and build endurance over time.

Remember, some days are better than others. There are days when I hate running and just want to stop because I can't breathe right, or a muscle is sore, etc. The motivation to stay moving will come with time too. The hard days are bad, but then one day you have an amazing run and you remember why you're doing it and how much you enjoy it.

I also agree with running with a group. I meet with the local running club twice a week. I feel like I'm held accountable for the Sunday long run and mid-week run since they're all waiting for me.

Good luck on your running journey. :smile:
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The treadmill...gets boring! Plan out new places and targets outside and make sure you mix up your scenery!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I did a learn to run program at a community fitness center. It was a 10 week program that started with walking 2 min running 1 then run1, walk1, run 2, walk 1 slowly progressing to a 20 minute run. Never considered myself a runner before I took that class. I also had to come to terms with the fact that I will never be a fast runner I'm lucky to do a 9:00minute mile. Now 3 years later I've done 4 half marathons and in October I completed a Full in 4:46:12 minutes. It isn't a great time but I'll let you know I felt strong at the finish and I was passing younger runners with goals of 3:30:00:drinker:
  • brmeese
    brmeese Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I greatly appreciate all of your support and knowledge! I think I will definitely try slowing down and do check out some of the sites and book information. I truly appreciate all of your help...I know that I can do this especially when I have the support of all of you!!! :smooched: :wink: