How to kill a sweet tooth??

Options
Hi there,
My name is Joanne and I am really struggling with craving sweets. I have always had a desert and now the deserts are what I am craving more than a meal.
Any suggestions would be helpful on how to deal with this frustrating, nagging person in my head!

Replies

• Montgomery29
    Montgomery29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to drink sodas every day instead of water, but I was able to quit them by drinking tea with 2 sugar cubes and milk (not the proper way to drink tea, I know) which helped me to eventually quit the sodas entirely. I don't even drink tea now.
  • movgrl1
    movgrl1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello Joanne, I have a big time sweet tooth! I was eating smaller amounts of candy, but that led me to going over my calories and gaining some back, so I've learned I'm not at a place where I can do that, yet. To get my sweet fix, I use peanut butter, sugar free Jell-o, greek yogurts, and fruit, such as strawberries with splenda, grapes, apples, etc. Feel free to add me if you want, my diary is open to my friends, so you can see what I eat. Good luck and you've got this! :smiley:
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Use strategies, if you want this to be sustainable long term!

Find low calories option. I like Fiber-1 bar, they are round 90 calories and taste like a soft cookies. I also buy halloween size candy bar (like 40-50 calories each) and have one EVERY afternoon at work.

If I crave chocolate at home, I will weight chocolate chips, melt them in the microwave and eat a portion that fits my calories.

Use the craving to add a work out. If I run, I can have a snack after dinner, whatever fits my calories. I love a salty treat at night, so I try to have 200 calories for a portion of chips or popcorn. If I don't have it, I do a small workout on a video until I do! (I have a fit bit with HR so this helps).

You can also save 100 calories every day of the week and have a 500 calories treat on the week end.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    For me the trick was cutting out sweet stuff as much as possible. I stopped having sweetener in tea and coffee. I avoided desserts as much as humanly possible. Like rheddmobile says above, this caused the artificially sweetened stuff to be far too sweet. Dessert-wise - could you make your own with gradually reduced sweetness to help wean you off the taste?
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What time do you usually start eating your treats? Start with this time, and try to make yourself wait 30 minutes before indulging. And then have the treat. Over time, gradually increase the time of day to later and later. Eventually you’ll have less time on the day to eat treats. My window used to start at 2pm, and now I wait until 8pm to have my treat.