Running question????

Options
Today I did my first run today only a half mile but least I did it...But my question is what can I do to not hurt my ankles??They are killing me right now and I think I want to continue running...I also ran 15 mins up and down stairs...I think this is something that I think I will enjoy very much if I can continue running...Any advice would be appericated..Thanks Dana:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Today I did my first run today only a half mile but least I did it...But my question is what can I do to not hurt my ankles??They are killing me right now and I think I want to continue running...I also ran 15 mins up and down stairs...I think this is something that I think I will enjoy very much if I can continue running...Any advice would be appericated..Thanks Dana:flowerforyou:
  • daisy262
    daisy262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi and congratulations! The first time out is the hardest... several years ago I was a newbie who had only run to catch the bus. I started running for the very first time and got hooked...although 7 marathons later it is still hard to get out the door! :-)

Regarding your ankles, a big part of it has to do with your sneakers and how they fit. Try going to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them do a complete analysis of your feet. (Not a Footlocker... while they carry a lot of sneakers, the folks in the running store are usually long-time runners who are very knowledgeable.)

Essentially there are four kinds of shoes: neutral, stability, motion control and cushioned... the folks in the store will look at your feet & ankles and help you determine which is best for you. Then, they should bring you at least 4-5 pairs of different brands, which you can try on (and even run around the store in) to see which feel the best.

Here's a good article that summarizes the basics:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--4615-0,00.html

This is a fun way to analyze your foot:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html

I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wow finally someone answered my post..Thank you I never knew there was different kind of running shoes..I think I will stick with the running..My friend ask me if I was nuts for running shes like why do something like that..Cuz I think this is my nitch this is what I want to do...Thanks again,,:flowerforyou:
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on your new running journey.....I agree with Daisy about properly fitted sneakers. Also, I MUST MUST stretch my ankles out before I run....I was taught a trick in gymnastics to sit on a chair or whatever and hold you foot off the floor and write your first, middle and last name in the air in cursive with your foot. Sounds crazy I know, but I do my right, then left foot and repeat for good measure and it has helped tremendously. My ankles used to hurt so bad that I would be several days before I could run again.....which was very frustrating. Anyway, try it and see if it helps along with a good fitted pair of running shoes. :wink:

Good Luck!
    ~Sheryl
  • daisy262
    daisy262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! How your foot hits the ground affects everything from your ankles to your knees & hips - it's worth the $$ to get the right shoes and you should immediately feel a difference.

I hope you like running - I never ever thought I'd like it and in fact dreaded it at first, but now I look forward to my 20 minutes of peace... and it's such a great cardio workout too.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on your new running journey.....I agree with Daisy about properly fitted sneakers. Also, I MUST MUST stretch my ankles out before I run....I was taught a trick in gymnastics to sit on a chair or whatever and hold you foot off the floor and write your first, middle and last name in the air in cursive with your foot. Sounds crazy I know, but I do my right, then left foot and repeat for good measure and it has helped tremendously. My ankles used to hurt so bad that I would be several days before I could run again.....which was very frustrating. Anyway, try it and see if it helps along with a good fitted pair of running shoes. :wink:

Good Luck!
    ~Sheryl

I LOVE this suggestion. I'm a novice runner, possibly starting to enjoy it:huh: ,but I find that the next morning I'm virtually crippled when I get up. Takes a few minutes to be able to walk without limping.:grumble:
  • kimbey76
    kimbey76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    one thing I read before is that the stability shoes are better, a lot of people think that something with a cushion or gel heel is better because it will take the impact but it is actually the worst thing for your ankles and continuing upward to your knee, hip and back... also try to land flat and steady on your feet keeping your ankle stable
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options

Good Luck!
    ~Sheryl

I LOVE this suggestion. I'm a novice runner, possibly starting to enjoy it:huh: ,but I find that the next morning I'm virtually crippled when I get up. Takes a few minutes to be able to walk without limping.:grumble:

Aprilvet~

I hope that this helps with the morning after pains....you hit the nail on the head though....before I started stretching my ankles, my feet would hit the floor and allbut stay there....I walked like a 95 year old grandma with thumbtacks in her sunday shoes....lol Not a very pretty sight. I also listen to upbeat music when I run or sometimes harder rock with an angry edge to get my aggressions out...helps me keep up the tempo. Anyway, try and stick with it....I love my cardio dvd's , but the way my mind can wonder during my runs, it is such a mental stress buster. If mom is happy, everyone is happy...:tongue:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Looks like we agree. Shoes! A properly fitted shoe with an expert. And yes they are worth the money. And you could look into exercises to strengthen your ankels.
  • vegrunner
    Options
    As an avid runner I definitely agree with the advice on shoes. Good running shoes are a must! Here is a very helpful website. You can use the "shoe dog" to put in your info such as arch type, gender, etc. If you're not sure about your arch type it gives you a way to figure it out. It will take all your info and determine what shoes are right for you. I always write down the shoes it suggests and go into local stores and ask for them. Best of luck!

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_re=hp-_-left_1-_-shoe_dog

Oh yea, you might try to run on even grass or dirt trails if you have access. If not try to run on the street rather than the sidewalk. Asphalt gives more than concrete does. Here's an interesting article.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=152
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!:smile: I'll have to check out the local running store for the right shoes.