what do you count as exercise?

Options
I am just really curious to know what everyone counts as working out.

I only count what I do at the gym as exercise and nothing else.

If I walk for an 90 minutes at the mall because I was shopping I don't log it nor do I log yard work or walking in the grocery store or housework regardless how strenuous, or me taking the stairs at work even if it i 5 flights Because I did all that with the extra weight that I need to lose now so to me it isn't working out.

So what do you count as exercise?

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

If I walk for an 90 minutes at the mall because I was shopping I don't log it nor do I log yard work or walking in the grocery store or housework regardless how strenuous, or me taking the stairs at work even if it i 5 flights Because I did all that with the extra weight that I need to lose now so to me it isn't working out.

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Since I haven't chosen a Sedentary lifestyle for my baseline calories, I don't log anything but what I do in the gym. I start off with 1400-1600 calories and add exercise. I'm on my feet all day but it's not enough activity to promote any conditioning.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I count anything I do where I'm intentionally getting my heart rate up and I'm sweating.....walking, swimming, strength training, yoga, rowing, elliptical, dancing at the gym or dancing around the house, etc.

I don't include normal, everyday activities.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

• Dave198lbs
    Options

i
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    anything done with the intent of raising the heart rate and inducing sweat
    everything else just goes in the lightly active lifestyle
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    anything done with the intent of raising the heart rate and inducing sweat
    everything else just goes in the lightly active lifestyle

that can mean different things because I sweat my butt off in GA's hot summer (its like hell) when I cut my grass but that is a weekly thing I do and did it before so I don't count that as exercise.
    I only count whats out of my normal daily movements- I jump around all the time,constantly walking, walking up and down stairs, runnning around playing with my kids, participating in their basketball practices ect.. but I don't count that- I only count what I do at the gym
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do not log anything besides my daily 2hr workout routine...things like shoveling snow,walking dog,doing housework I consider just a bonus.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything other then what I do as a workout also, I have to do the same laundry, dishes, housework I did when I was out of shape. So unless I am camping and doing alot of hiking or out with friends at the caves (5 mile hike), or my exercise program, I don't log it. Like Mya, its a bonus....

Can't wait for hiking / camping weather :bigsmile:

56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I count the main things I do for exercise....like going for a walk or riding a bike. I occasionally count housework, but thats really only if I am on an "all out mission" to get the house clean for company, where I am walking all over the house, scrubbing, sweating, etc. Even then, if I did an hour I will only count a half an hour because I don't trust how many calories burned they say it is.

I did once count the walk we did from where we parked to go to a festival, because we were walking a good pace and it was about a mile each way, but I didn't count any time spent walking around at the festival. I too wouldn't count a day of walking around the mall shopping....yeah I'm sure it burns something, but when I am shopping I am walking around leisurely....not at a fast enough pace to get my heart rate up.
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    I count the main things I do for exercise....like going for a walk or riding a bike. I occasionally count housework, but thats really only if I am on an "all out mission" to get the house clean for company, where I am walking all over the house, scrubbing, sweating, etc. Even then, if I did an hour I will only count a half an hour because I don't trust how many calories burned they say it is.

I did once count the walk we did from where we parked to go to a festival, because we were walking a good pace and it was about a mile each way, but I didn't count any time spent walking around at the festival. I too wouldn't count a day of walking around the mall shopping....yeah I'm sure it burns something, but when I am shopping I am walking around leisurely....not at a fast enough pace to get my heart rate up.

I agree. I am helping my sister move this weekend, which should get my heart going and my arms and legs working, so that I will log. But I will probably do some "spot cleaning" and shopping, too, which I won't count because it's not strenuous.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I only count the things that I do with the intention of exercising.
  • mommyof2kiddos
    Options
    I agree, I only count exercise that I do intentionally.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I don't count walking at the mall, running errands, or doing laundry or housework exc
    The only exc I count is when I walk/run on the treadmill, do a video or yoga...

Kim