More carbs!!! Idea help please.

Options
psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
Ok, so I eat about 3000 calories a day and I find myself starting to have trouble with getting my daily carb intake (45% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat). I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day (one in the morning, one at lunch), double fiber english muffin, etc.... (my diary is public if you want to look at it). I try to whole wheat or whole grain bread in my diet as well. My problem is, I don't like brown rice or wheat pasta (it's a texture thing, weird right, lol). Any other good suggestions I could use? Any information would help. I have googled it without any additional help.

Thanks,

Lemon

Replies

• LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific metabolic or medical reason, why increase your carbs?

Maybe eat more veggies... green leafy ones with good carbs. And maybe some beans. Other than that, though, why would you want to increase your carbs? Is there a specific reason?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    BANANAS. my mfp carb ticker always skyrockets when i log bananas in
  • Chesspupil
    Chesspupil Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    breakfast cereal? Wasa whole grain crackers? sweet soda? Are you trying to gain? 3000 is a lot
  • CindiBryce
    CindiBryce Posts: 438
    Options
    Ok, so I eat about 3000 calories a day and I find myself starting to have trouble with getting my daily carb intake (45% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat). I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day (one in the morning, one at lunch), double fiber english muffin, etc.... (my diary is public if you want to look at it). I try to whole wheat or whole grain bread in my diet as well. My problem is, I don't like brown rice or wheat pasta (it's a texture thing, weird right, lol). Any other good suggestions I could use? Any information would help. I have googled it without any additional help.

Thanks,

Lemon

Your carb intake was fine today. Eat more complex carbs such as wild rice (an alternative to brown rice), oatmeal, and sweet potatoes.

And also, could psu stand for penn state university? Just asking.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific metabolic or medical reason, why increase your carbs?

Maybe eat more veggies... green leafy ones with good carbs. And maybe some beans. Other than that, though, why would you want to increase your carbs? Is there a specific reason?

Yes because carbs are great fuel. There is no reason to NOT eat them.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    "Yes because carbs are great fuel. There is no reason to NOT eat them."
    [/quote]

My body would disagree! :)
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you like milk, it has a good amount of carbs. (around 10-12 per serving for 1%) Might help to have a glass with breakfast or something.
    Also, bagels and many varieties of beans are a healthy source of carbs.
    I have also heard that apricots are pretty high carb fruit (although I'm not sure if that's true). You should be able to google "high carb healthy foods" to get a comprehensive list of healthy choices that won't lead you toward empty calories.
    Good luck!
    Options
    "Yes because carbs are great fuel. There is no reason to NOT eat them."

My body would disagree! :)
    [/quote]

Thats your body though. Most people do not have that sort of intolerance :] Carbs are an excellent energy source and very good for you :]

I just feel like sticking up for carbs since they are always hated on xD
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Thats your body though. Most people do not have that sort of intolerance

I actually think a number of researchers would probably say that nearly everyone who is very overweight/obese (so, you know, quite a large percentage of the American public) has some level of insulin/leptin resistance and could benefit from reducing the carbohydrates in their diet.

But, ultimately, we all need to do n = 1 experimentation and find what works best for us. I know that I have trouble losing weight or maintaining leanness unless I keep my carbohydrate levels in check.
    Options

I actually think a number of researchers would probably say that nearly everyone who is very overweight/obese (so, you know, quite a large percentage of the American public) has some level of insulin/leptin resistance and could benefit from reducing the carbohydrates in their diet.

But, ultimately, we all need to do n = 1 experimentation and find what works best for us. I know that I have trouble losing weight or maintaining leanness unless I keep my carbohydrate levels in check.

I am a dietetics student actually. Have read many studies over this actually.

Look at your points though: REDUCING carbohydrate, EXPERIMENTATION, carb levels in CHECK.

What I am talking about is the fact that grains are not to blame for this. Reducing might help yes, I actually have a lower level then recommended as well. But at 45% carbohydrate with 3000 calories there is no reason to get rid of grains... hard to get that many carbs from fruits and veggies.

Grains are not the enemy is my whole point here, just get sick of people pointing at them like they are some forbidden poison.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I checked my food diary today - my big carb hits today were Oatmeal for breakfast, apple as a snack, bagette for dinner and sunsweet prunes. I'd also recommend bananas, hummus, and some beans & rice (zatarans makes tasty meals). How about adding more pasta to your diet. I know it's a food of choice for a lot of runners.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Look at your points though: REDUCING carbohydrate, EXPERIMENTATION, carb levels in CHECK.

What I am talking about is the fact that grains are not to blame for this. Reducing might help yes, I actually have a lower level then recommended as well. But at 45% carbohydrate with 3000 calories there is no reason to get rid of grains... hard to get that many carbs from fruits and veggies.

Grains are not the enemy is my whole point here, just get sick of people pointing at them like they are some forbidden poison.

Well, the original poster is striving to get more carbohydrates in for seemingly no other reason than an arbitrary macro percentage target. Maybe there are good reasons (endurance athlete, trying to gain mass, just feel better with more carbs) but maybe not. If the goal is fat loss (usually safe to assume on MFP -- but not always the case) then I maintain that there is no reason to go out of one's way to strive for getting more carbohydrates if there are other nutritious ways of feeling satisfied and getting an appropriate amount of calories (like some whole eggs, avocados, tossing some coconut oil on vegetables, etc.).

As far as grains being a forbidden poison, I am starting to believe they might be: http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/?tag=grains

But since you're studying it, I'd like to know what grains provide that cannot be provided elsewhere--what is the case FOR grains? I actually don't know a lot about it.
  • Trishrunnerhi
    Trishrunnerhi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to agree about carbs being considered forbidden poison. They're not.

Anyway, back to the question: I have the same problem. My caloric needs are about 3000 cals also, and I find it hard to find a variety of low sugar, healthy carbs.

Here's what I came up with (mostly for endurance hiking, or long bike rides. I don't know if I'd do too well eating any of this while running, but I realy can't stand the gels)

Dried fruit- figs, raisins, currants
    Dried whole grain, very low sugar, cereals (Heritige or some Kashi grains come to mind)
    Oat groats. With mik (Oatmeal like quick cooking kinds will spike your BS and make you crash)
    Sweet potatoes (great source of slow releasing carbs)
    Muffins (homemade with raisins or blueberries, oats, bran, whole wheat)
    Bland whole wheat bread (made from just whole wheat, butter, yeast, etc)
    Juices made from real fruit and just fruit (Nantucket nectars or just juice your own fruit)
    Dried cherries (yum)

Enjoy your carbs!

Trish
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

They will never teach you this in your studies, but grains are like a poison to most people's bodies. Look at the skyrocketing rates of Celiac Disease, Chron's Disease and gluten intolerance found in people.

Grains are filled with anti-nutrients that keep the body from absorbing nutrients in the grains and also lead to inflammation in the body - this contributes to heart disease, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, joint aches and pains, etc.

They also use grains to fatten up animals before going to the slaugherhouse. Grains are there to make animals (and humans are animals too) fat.

Research this please.

There are no nutrients in grains that can't be obtained elsewhere, aka fruits and vegetables and the nutrients in these foods will at least be absorbed by the body.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the responses.. so let me answer some questions..

Yes, psu does stand for penn state...

Second, I eat 3000 calories a day to lose weight (yes, this isn't a lie). I am 195 lbs @ 12% body fat. My goal is to take that down to 8% so I can have some ab definition. I have calculated my basal metabloic rate & TDEE several ways (katch mcardle formula, and benidicit harris formual with good success so far).

I want carbs at it's a great source of energy. In fact, from my research, I have found that complex carbs are the best way to maintain energy throughout the day. Additionally, i have found when I eat more than 1g of protein per LBM, my kidneys tend to hurt. It's because they are over exerting themselves. From personal experience and research, too much protein can be just as bad as not enough.

I do appreciate all the concern, but thanks for all the advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    potato!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    potato!

Good idea, I always forget about that one.