Long-term use of "Diet Pills"/Thermogenics - Stopping. What now?

Options
mytyglotz
mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, All!!

I want to emphasize right away that I am not asking whether or not long-term use (or ANY use) of "diet pills" (i.e. "fat burners", thermogenics, ANY "pill" targeted to weight and fat loss or energy boosts) is wise. I know it is not.

I am here to ask for any information/testimonials/scholarly advice about people who (like myself) HAVE made that choice, and used these supplements (like Hydroxycut products) consistently for an extended time - at least ONE YEAR. I am concerned about any effects STOPPING the dosage (especially after possible metabolic damage, or any disruption of regular bodily functions caused by the supplement). I can find research about this covering the period of weeks or months, but none about using - then stopping, for good - the supplement after one full year.

Has anyone taken Hydroxycut or a comparable substance for ONE YEAR at least, then STOPPED taking them? What were the results?

Granted that diet and activity levels remain the same as they were during the supplementation and weight loss period, would fat/weight that had been lost while using the product RETURN upon stopping the dosage?

I would really appreciate less reprimanding about using supplements or "quick fixes" and more constructive advice (or personal experiences).

I want to focus on what can be done, if anything -- especially to reverse any metabolic damage/physiological dependency that might be due to such long-term use of the supplement -- to maintain weight and fat loss, and not fall into the dreaded path of "yo-yo-ing".

Thank you so much.
I am sorry for not being more concise. I just want to communicate my foremost questions.

**Edited for typos, and also to thank you all, again. I know thermogenics and "diet pills" can be a heated topic. I would not recommend them to anyone who wants to thrive (physically and spiritually).

Replies

• mytyglotz
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're in this position. I would recommend calling your doctor's office and asking. You may have a valid concern about negative reactions to stopping.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!!
    I am just hoping someone can relate (although I wish none of us would do something similar in the first place), and would be willing to share what they have learned.
    I don't want false hope, but I really hope my worries about losing the progress (even with adhering to a caloric deficit) are not real.
  • mytyglotz
    edited September 2019
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Hello, All!!

I want to emphasize right away that I am not asking whether or not long-term use (or ANY use) of "diet pills" (i.e. "fat burners", thermogenics, ANY "pill" targeted to weight and fat loss or energy boosts) is wise. I know it is not.

I am here to ask for any information/testimonials/scholarly advice about people who (like myself) HAVE made that choice, and used these supplements (like Hydroxycut products) consistently for an extended time - at least ONE YEAR. I am concerned about any effects STOPPING the dosage (especially after possible metabolic damage, or any disruption of regular bodily functions caused by the supplement). I can find research about this covering the period of weeks or months, but none about using - then stopping, for good - the supplement after one full year.

Has anyone taken Hydroxycut or a comparable substance for ONE YEAR at least, then STOPPED taking them? What were the results?

Granted that diet and activity levels remain the same as they were during the supplementation and weight loss period, would fat/weight that had been lost while using the product RETURN upon stopping the dosage?

I would really appreciate less reprimanding about using supplements or "quick fixes" and more constructive advice (or personal experiences).

I want to focus on what can be done, if anything -- especially to reverse any metabolic damage/physiological dependency that might be due to such long-term use of the supplement -- to maintain weight and fat loss, and not fall into the dreaded path of "yo-yo-ing".

Thank you so much.
    I am sorry for not being more concise. I just want to communicate my foremost questions.

**Edited for typos, and also to thank you all, again. I know thermogenics and "diet pills" can be a heated topic. I would not recommend them to anyone who wants to thrive (physically and spiritually).

I'm glad you're aware you should stop. Those products are mostly caffeine and useless herbs that don't do much. My best guess (I'm not a doctor, you should talk to one) is that not much will happen beyond caffeine wothdrawl.

Thank you so much for your kind, sincere response.
    I am also hoping that caffeine withdrawal is the worst of the effects (I think I have already passed that post-supplementation phase, if it is one. I have not taken it as of one month or so ago.)
    NOW I am worried about experiencing the "rebound" fat gain that so many people report after stopping supplementation. Most of those people, however, seem to also return to a poor diet (with or without physical activity) -- I am wondering if the same fat gain would result after omitting the supplement even with continuing the diet adhered to during the supplementation.

In other words (and in equations):. . . .

If Diet + Hydroxycut = Fat loss and High energy levels,
    would Diet + Hydroxycut - Hydroxycut = Maintained Fat loss and High energy levels ,

or Fat Gain?

Thank you, again.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The nice part about fat burners...they're nothing but caffeine

The nice part about myfitnesspal is...... a lot of people are quick to give input with no actual experience. 😁

No clue on ur answer buddy. My wife bought me the Get Lean faster package from Legion Athletics for my bd. Came with a *kitten* ton of fat burner pills that make me *kitten* out nutrients as fast I can eat them, and horrible tasting powders. Stay away from this brand 😂 (Gaspari Lean muscle mass stack ftw)

But I can say is none of the pills have caffeine. They do recommend taking with caffeine tho. I can wait to get thru this package and switch back to Gaspari 😥

• mytyglotz
    edited September 2019
    Options
    The nice part about fat burners...they're nothing but caffeine and useless herbs that don't do much, so stopping them should also not do much except give you a mad caffine headache for a few days.

If you like the energy levels, just drink extra coffee...black preferably.

Thank you for responding again. I am sorry to keep bothering you - I understand you can only provide me your opinion, and not personal medical/nutritional advice. I still want to ask you (I hope you don't mind):

To clarify, I am concerned that my body got used to the "stimulation" of the Hydroxycut, and in result has a less efficient natural ability to expend energy (i.e. burn calories) - especially considering how long I used it - the guidelines on the bottle recommend a period of 60 days -- I well exceeded that!
    Do you think it is possible for the human body to get so "used" to Hydroxycut (or other "diet pills") that, without the supplement, it does not expend energy (i.e. burn calories) as efficiently (therefore promoting fat gain)?

I hope I am making sense in my questions.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I can't give you a year's worth of use of fat burner stuff, but once upon a time (actually about 3 years ago), I had a coach put me on Oxyshred as well as a plethora of other supplements, as well as a deficit and very restricted diet. I did it for about 3 to 4 months before calling it quits.

When I stopped taking all the stuff, and ate normal food again (as in not just white fish and asparagus), I actually lost 2 more kilos. I think that was because I was no longer stressed and miserable though. It had got to a point where I wasn't losing any weight - or rather - very minimal losses per week and not at the rate I was supposed to have been losing according to the (not very good) coach.

I don't know about Hydroxycut but I had Oxyshred, L-Tyrosine and Acetyl - L Carnitine as well as other non-fat burny stuff. Oh and I was supposed to take some other pre-workout thing which also had all sorts of claims of fat burning and caffeine but I never took it because I knew it was a bad idea for me personally to take it. I subbed it for Beta Alanine and never told the coach.

I eventually did put some weight back on (not crazy amounts, just a couple of kilos) but that's because I was eating more food. After being restricted for what felt like an eternity I went on a bit of an eating odyssey. But stopped as soon as I saw that the weight was coming back.

• mytyglotz
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hello, All!!

Thank you so much.

I'm glad you're aware you should stop. Those products are mostly caffeine and useless herbs that don't do much. My best guess (I'm not a doctor, you should talk to one) is that not much will happen beyond caffeine wothdrawl.

I am also hoping that caffeine withdrawal is the worst of the effects (I think I have already passed that post-supplementation phase, if it is one. I have not taken it as of one month or so ago.)
    NOW I am worried about experiencing the "rebound" fat gain that so many people report after stopping supplementation. Most of those people, however, seem to also return to a poor diet (with or without physical activity) -- I am wondering if the same fat gain would result after omitting the supplement even with continuing the diet adhered to during the supplementation.

would Diet + Hydroxycut - Hydroxycut = Maintained Fat loss and High energy levels ,

or Fat Gain?

Thank you, again.

Here's my equation:

Phen/fen = high energy + low appetite = weight loss
    Stopped phen/fen = lowered energy + increased appetite = weight gain

But if I had maintained the same CICO that I had with phen/fen, I would have continued to lose weight. So, the answer to the first bolded is "No."

Thank you!!
    Equations are helpful (I am a very visual learner.)
    I am sorry to mull over the same questions and your answers again - I really just need to be sure I am understanding, and I need things to be given to me "straight-forward":
    So, after taking Hydroxycut for one full year and achieving my desired weight, then never taking Hydroxycut again, but eating the same way I was while taking Hydroxycut, is it possible to regain the weight?

Again, I apologize for taking so much of your energy.
    I appreciate you.
  • mytyglotz
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Hello :) I can't give you a year's worth of use of fat burner stuff, but once upon a time (actually about 3 years ago), I had a coach put me on Oxyshred as well as a plethora of other supplements, as well as a deficit and very restricted diet. I did it for about 3 to 4 months before calling it quits.

When I stopped taking all the stuff, and ate normal food again (as in not just white fish and asparagus), I actually lost 2 more kilos. I think that was because I was no longer stressed and miserable though. It had got to a point where I wasn't losing any weight - or rather - very minimal losses per week and not at the rate I was supposed to have been losing according to the (not very good) coach.

I don't know about Hydroxycut but I had Oxyshred, L-Tyrosine and Acetyl - L Carnitine as well as other non-fat burny stuff. Oh and I was supposed to take some other pre-workout thing which also had all sorts of claims of fat burning and caffeine but I never took it because I knew it was a bad idea for me personally to take it. I subbed it for Beta Alanine and never told the coach.

I eventually did put some weight back on (not crazy amounts, just a couple of kilos) but that's because I was eating more food. After being restricted for what felt like an eternity I went on a bit of an eating odyssey. But stopped as soon as I saw that the weight was coming back.

Wow! I really appreciate your personal story. I know it is not easy to disclose that in the somewhat impersonal virtual world!! I am so inspired to hear you are trusting the natural process again, and your body.

That being said, please know I do not expect you to answer any more of my questions. Only share what you feel is right. (: :smile:
    If I might ask, what all did you change after stopping the supplements?
    Are there any other factors that contributed to your continued weight loss?

I am really hoping my experience is similar to yours. I am fretting the fat loss was all due to the Hydroxycut (and not ME.)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

Wow! I really appreciate your personal story. I know it is not easy to disclose that in the somewhat impersonal virtual world!! I am so inspired to hear you are trusting the natural process again, and your body.

That being said, please know I do not expect you to answer any more of my questions. Only share what you feel is right. (: :smile:
    If I might ask, what all did you change after stopping the supplements?
    Are there any other factors that contributed to your continued weight loss?

I am really hoping my experience is similar to yours. I am fretting the fat loss was all due to the Hydroxycut (and not ME.)

I don't mind telling my truth to random strangers. I think we all hide a lot of things that actually might be helpful to other people if we actually told them our experience with it.

So, what changed was that I started to follow a flexible dieting principle. I ditched the *kitten* coach and signed up with an IIFYM one for a few months because I was scared of the rebound weight after prolonged dieting (it was a competition prep) and I knew that the danger was when you stopped the dieting.

Basically she helped me with setting my macros/calorie goals at maintenance level - I felt I needed the accountability that's why I got a coach too, plus I needed to learn more. She helped me a lot with the mental aspect that had started to creep in too - I was a bit scared to eat "normal" food even though I was so sick of my restricted diet I had this crazy fear that if I ate normal food I'd get fat. I also developed a tendency to binge, which I still suffer from when I've been in a large deficit for too long.

Anyway, so I changed my diet to include variety again and made sure I stuck to my macros as best as possible.

The weight loss stopped after about 3 weeks. I had a massive "woosh" down when I stopped the restricted diet and supps. But then when I started to track macros again and I admit - have instances of going way over calories because once I started eating again it just felt like I was a bottomless pit and needed more sustenance.

It all leveled out though and now I manage to maintain, gain or lose when required. Except for the still occasional binge session that does occur.... but working on that one!!!

If you continue to watch your caloric intake you should be fine.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I have no personal experience with them but am a medical professional. All of those diet pills have ingredients that are stimulants which act to decrease appetite and increase energy. They don’t do any *metaboilic damage* but they can do other damage which I hope you’re aware of.

Any weight gain you might incur from stopping them would result from either eating more as a result of your regular appetite returning or burning less as a result of less activity and calories burned due to less effect from the medication.

Btw, I had a patient once, a young woman in her early 30s, taking those pills to lose the baby weight who dropped dead of a heart attack.

The bolded bit for sure.

And yeah, the pills can be a not very good thing.

Oh yeah, I just remembered something else OP. Ages ago, I tried Garcinia Camboja because Dr Oz and bunch of fatties at work with nothing better to do looking for a magic pill - we ordered a bunch and took it. What I noticed at first that it suppressed my appetite and things were all fine and dandy. Eventually though they stopped working, i suppose my body got used to them and I was just as hungry as before, if not more, because I was also going to the gym and doing random cardio because weight-loss.

I gained weight LOL!

But it's because I ate more. WAY more. ALL the "healthy" snacks like bags of trail mix, and "healthy" muffins and things. So like +1000 calories a day of "healthy" food.

So it all comes back to my original advice - if you stick to your calorie goal PROPERLY, you should be fine.

• mytyglotz
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have no personal experience with them but am a medical professional. All of those diet pills have ingredients that are stimulants which act to decrease appetite and increase energy. They don’t do any *metaboilic damage* but they can do other damage which I hope you’re aware of.

Any weight gain you might incur from stopping them would result from either eating more as a result of your regular appetite returning or burning less as a result of less activity and calories burned due to less effect from the medication.

Btw, I had a patient once, a young woman in her early 30s, taking those pills to lose the baby weight who dropped dead of a heart attack.

Thank you so much. I cannot emphasize that enough, especially coming from a professional.
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your patient. I pray she is at peace, as well as her family. I can not imagine how devastating witnessing her downfall must have been for you. I am so sorry.

I know my questions are getting excessive, but I am always wary about my misunderstanding - I just want to make sure my interpretations are correct!! Please forgive me for taking more of your time. I value your knowledge.

To the bolded segment of your statement about regained weight after stopping Hydroxycut:
    Do you mean that any fat gain would only result if I consume more calories than I did when I was supplementing?
    Are you saying the "effect of the medication" on my calorie burn is related to my caloric expenditure from moving more/being active, or do the stimulants directly impact my body's calorie burn even without added activity (meaning my body doesn't burn as many calories overall - resting or moving - without the Hydroxycut)?

Again, I am sorry. I hope you do not mind me asking so many questions, and for your advice.
    And I hope I am making sense!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hello, All!!

Thank you so much.

or Fat Gain?

Thank you, again.

Here's my equation:

But if I had maintained the same CICO that I had with phen/fen, I would have continued to lose weight. So, the answer to the first bolded is "No."

Thank you!!
    I am sorry to mull over the same questions and your answers again - I really just need to be sure I am understanding, and I need things to be given to me "straight-forward":
    So, after taking Hydroxycut for one full year and achieving my desired weight, then never taking Hydroxycut again, but eating the same way I was while taking Hydroxycut, is it possible to regain the weight?

I appreciate you.

If post-Hydroxycut Calories In and Calories Out = Hydroxycut Calories In and Calories Out, you will not regain weight.
  • mytyglotz
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you so much. I cannot emphasize that enough, especially coming from a professional.
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your patient. I pray she is at peace, as well as her family. I can not imagine how devastating witnessing her downfall must have been for you. I am so sorry.

I know my questions are getting excessive, but I am always wary about my misunderstanding - I just want to make sure my interpretations are correct!! Please forgive me for taking more of your time. I value your knowledge.

To the bolded segment of your statement about regained weight after stopping Hydroxycut:
    Do you mean that any fat gain would only result if I consume more calories than I did when I was supplementing?
    Are you saying the "effect of the medication" on my calorie burn is related to my caloric expenditure from moving more/being active, or do the stimulants directly impact my body's calorie burn even without added activity (meaning my body doesn't burn as many calories overall - resting or moving - without the Hydroxycut)?

Again, I am sorry. I hope you do not mind me asking so many questions, and for your advice.
    And I hope I am making sense!!

Well I didn't have any personal attachment to that patient because I work ER and just saw her for the first time, but seeing her husband crying and seeing a young woman die moved me a lot. Since then, I always discourage anyone I know from taking any "diet pills".

Any weight change from stopping the medication would be a direct result of you being less active or eating more, nothing more or less. It doesn't change your body's inherent ability to burn energy. When people take stimulants, they tend to move around more, sleep less, and eat less. That is how many people on methamphetamine are so slim, sometimes skinny. Same concept but to a lesser degree with those types of pills like Hydroxycut.

Thank you for extending your experience and sense to the online community as well. There are many things I ask my personal physician and care team, but sometimes there are questions and concerns (like this) that I feel I need to take to other sources, other people who can testify for themselves. Your sincerity and care is appreciated beyond expression. Thank you.

So, is it valid to say that my fat loss and physique achieved WHEN I was taking Hydroxycut for a year was due to my diet and activity levels during that time, and ultimately has nothing to do with any possible effects of the Hydroxycut (beyond appetite suppression)?
    I am still concerned about how it has affected my body even after minimal use, but extremely concerned about the aftermath of completely stopping after using it daily for over a year.
    Would any duration of use have the same effects?
    Can I expect to keep the fat off if Hydroxycut is the only factor I change in the equation, even after one entire year of my body being exposed to Hydroxycut?

Thank you again.
    I will try to make those my concluding questions to you.
    You are incredible, replying nonjudgementally and kindly (and explaining things slightly differently to me each time so I can be sure I understand). I am sorry to keep asking -- I am rereading your responses diligently. (I just want to emphasize my situation, because I have yet to find anyone who has stopped this supplement after using it for such a long amount of time. It is not my intention to "beat a dead horse" here!!)

Thrive on ♡

**Edited again for typos!!
  • mytyglotz
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello, All!!

Thank you so much.

or Fat Gain?

Thank you, again.

Here's my equation:

Thank you!!

I appreciate you.

If post-Hydroxycut Calories In and Calories Out = Hydroxycut Calories In and Calories Out, you will not regain weight.

Thank you for replying.
    And for using the helpful "equation" method. I am by no standards a mathematician, but equations like these are friendly to my cognition. Straight-forward and no room for misconceptions -- these kinds of explanations are what click with me best.
    You = Wonderful and supportive
    Me = Grateful

Thank you.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I didn't take them for a year, but I did try Hydroxycut many years ago for about 4 months or so.

TBH, it didn't seem to make much of any difference for me, so after realizing how much I was spending vs the gains (or lack of losses) I quit.

I don't recall any real side effects, but I'm a coffee drinker (and at the time went through plenty of soda as well), and caffeine, while it affects me, it's not a massive effect.

Diet and exercise still ruled when it came to losing weight - still does.