What mental and emotional healthy habits do you practice?

Options
peachvine29
peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
edited September 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
My weight loss journey has shown me that my weight and physical health is the result of what habits I am doing over time.

Now that I am more physically healthy, I see the need to get more emotionally and mentally healthy. I feel this may be feasible if I just make some new things a habit. I am not sure where to start but know I need to work on this.

Curious if anyone wants to share!

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    i enjoy spending time with my kitty cats, my hubby, listening to good music (i.e. grateful dead radio station on amazon music), reading (both personal development type books + i love a good novel), sometimes writing is helpful to me. i just ordered some essential oils and a diffuser upon the recommendation of my therapist (that's something i also recently started: therapy. i've been dealing with a lot of anxiety lately, and it's kind of nice to have an objective sounding board who isn't a part of my regular life).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    self-care in general. Lots of it.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    - I took my camera into the city and decided I wasn't going to leave until I'd plucked up the courage to approach 20 complete strangers and convince them to let me take their portrait. Huge learning experiences about dealing with rejection. Some people said yes, some people said no, (one person accused me of being a pervert LOL) but at the end of the day I found it much easier to pluck up the courage to ask people and realised that getting told 'no' didn't cause the world to end and I had 20 photos of 20 wonderful people.

I can so relate to this one!
    I am currently doing a photography course, and as a somewhat socially anxious introvert, this part was quite a challenge for me. But rewarding.

This year I have really been trying to prioritize my needs/wants instead of always putting the kids/DH first and then never quite getting to me. The course was part of this, and I have also since joined a local camera club.

And I also joined a gym that I actually enjoy (not just the cheapest one I could find like previously, and I ended up hating).
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I like this topic and the responses are great. I have been thinking about ways to make my life more enjoyable. Trying to create my own happiness, I guess you could say.

Lately, I have been spending some time each day doing a hobby activity, but I think I could make this a more permanent thing. Set aside an actual block of time rather than fitting it in when I can.

I’ve also been teaching my teenage son to cook, which is kind of more for him, but I have really enjoyed spending time with him. I get some actual conversation out of him, and he hasn’t been too disagreeable about it so that’s always a plus. 😄

I have considered learning a new skill or taking a class, but I haven’t made a decision on that, yet. But I think it is important to keep growing as a person and to keep challenging yourself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    What mental and emotional healthy habits do you practice?

Exercise regularly.
    Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night.
    Employ various sleep techniques to get a good sleep.
    Pursue further education.
    Take on challenges at work.
    Take care of paperwork - make sure affairs are in order.
    Take long weekends at least once a month.
    Travel at least every other month.
    Attend the symphony or a play once a month or 6 weeks.
    Have a bit of fun with photography.
    Be involved with my cycling club.
    Listen to music.

Just to name a few.

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Journal, hikes with my dog in the woods, 7-8 hours of sleep per night, healthy diet and lots of exercise.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Look to things that naturally lift your spirit - creative, artistic or cultural things, social time with family and friends, find your zen - whether that is spritual, religious or just lighting a candle and soaking in the bath (essentially time for yourself where you can contemplate nothing or everything), incidental activity - play time with children or activity type of hobby, intellectual things - games, puzzles, etc,

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I wake up, work out and mentally plan out my day.

I hydrate and follow a routine.

I talk over short term and long term plans with friends and colleagues and listen to their input.

On the drive home or at the end of the day I review the day and reflect on what could have gone better, what I could've done, and take a look at tomorrow to ensure everything is ready. I gather up my family and do the same with them to make sure they are ready for tomorrow and short term plans are set.

I pray and meditate. I sleep.

Rinse and repeat.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Exercise regularly - increase in mood
    Follow a routine - as someone who struggles with anxiety having a routine helps me remain calm and decreases my stress.
    Get enough sleep - I see a decrease in mood when I'm not getting enough rest.
    Alone time - I love my dogs and I love my SO but I'm a person that needs complete alone time to rest and recoup and destress. At least one night a week I make my SO walk the dogs without me so I can sit at home for that hour and just be in the quiet and decompress. It's improved our relationship because I'm not emotionally exhausted.

Putting my phone away at a specific time each night - I have certain people set up for emergencies but I really try to avoid my phone after 9pm. Not only does it help me sleep more but it's less emotionally and mentally draining.

Self care - Honestly, I got into skincare like a year ago and made it part of my night time routine. It's relaxing to take 20 minutes and do a face mask. Having goop on my face makes me sit down and just chill for 20 minutes. the added improvement is that my skin is now super soft.

Hobbies - I make time for my hobbies and try to spend 30 minutes on it each night. Sometimes cross stitch, sometimes crocheting sometimes coloring whatever. It's time to decompress and relax and I can't be eating because they all use my hands. Stressful and emotional day? go home and make a hat to donate... I find finishing something small like a hate or a project gives me a sense of accomplishment that really helps elevate my mood after a hard day at work.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Basic self care: getting good sleep, eating nutritious meals, getting fresh air/exercise. Little habits: making time to do at least one fun or relaxing thing every day, writing down important memories or printing photos from significant events to stay focused on the positive, spending time or reaching out to friends and loved ones. Another thing is realizing that I don’t have to add to my own stress. If I notice a pattern of something stressing me out, 9/10 times I can eliminate that source of stress by making a different choice. (Example: overcommiting to plans and feeling too busy to relax? Say no sometimes or schedule in days to stay home.) Not making decisions because I feel I “should” but actually deciding if I want to or if it is a benefit to me.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey has shown me that my weight and physical health is the result of what habits I am doing over time.

Now that I am more physically healthy, I see the need to get more emotionally and mentally healthy. I feel this may be feasible if I just make some new things a habit. I am not sure where to start but know I need to work on this.

Curious if anyone wants to share!

You're exactly right. That's such a great comment. Our quality of life depends of our habits over time, which show up in our weight and health in all areas, physical, emotional, and mental.

I love walking and slow jogging outside in a beautiful nature area, which I've started since I joined MFP. I l often do walking meditations while I'm out there. It lifts up my whole day.

• MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is just a small change but I'm trying to not have coffee at least 3 hrs before bedtime and not mess with my phone before bedtime. Drinking water with lemon to help calm me. This is to improve sleep because my mind does not shut off easily and I also tend to wake up in the night. Cutting out these things has helped and hopefully gives me better energy for workouts.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    i enjoy spending time with my kitty cats, my hubby, listening to good music (i.e. grateful dead radio station on amazon music), reading (both personal development type books + i love a good novel), sometimes writing is helpful to me. i just ordered some essential oils and a diffuser upon the recommendation of my therapist (that's something i also recently started: therapy. i've been dealing with a lot of anxiety lately, and it's kind of nice to have an objective sounding board who isn't a part of my regular life).

@MichSmish, I hate to bring this up, but essential oils (including diffused) can be harmful to pets, especially cats. You might just want to Google to see which oils are "safer" and how to lessen any potential impact. I would love to get an essential oil diffuser, but I haven't because of my cat. (Sorry! 😞)

This is such a great thread! I'm loving all the ideas. 💕