Need some tips.... (weight loss surgery failure)

Hello,

I’ve had the lap band then the sleeve surgery and here I am still 90lbs over weight and climbing..... I workout and semi eat healthy... I work 8am to 8pm 3 days 3 nights then 6 off. I have a real issue with eating at night. When I get off work and get home I feel like I have no energy. Thinking about going low carb/sugar lifestyle...

I feel like I can loose 10 lbs in 10 days but gain 20lbs in 2 days it’s crazy! I workout almost everyday I play ice hockey, ball hockey and softball... I honestly don’t get it.....

5’11
290lbs
34 years old

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Do you know how many calories you're eating per day?

Do you use a food scale to weigh everything you eat?
  • faithk256
    faithk256 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm 5 months post op gastric bypass and loving it!
  • jimmy_hickey
    jimmy_hickey Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2019
    LyndaBSS I don’t weigh my food... I use to.... I have a good scale but no... I’m sure logging everything I eat in this app will help
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Good luck with your journey!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    You can workout all you want, but if your not really paying attention to what your eating, your probably eating too much. If you use this site accurately, you will lose!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    When you get off work after a 12 hour shift you have no energy because you’re tired! Go to bed! Do more on the days you don’t have to work and write off work days except for the necessities of daily life.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Logging is good, weighing all solids is essential for consistent weight loss. So if you have a food scale, get it out and make yourself weigh food.
    If you know when you get off you are too tired to prepare anything. Then on your days not working that schedule, I suggest you get in habit of preparing foods, snacks that you can literally grab and eat, grab and reheat. So you already know calories, carbs, proteins, fats.
    That few hours spent doing the prep will really help you out in the long run. I used to on Sundays literally prep veges for week, and all snacks in snack bags. Make enough dinners and put in portion sizes so I could reheat on days no time for cooking. It really is what kept me on track.
    Good luck.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Yay for hockey. I'm a nice skater so we're kinda kindred spirits.

Anyway I always wonder about those weight loss surgeries...ya it's a helpful tool but unless you change your mindset is it really ever going to work?

As someone said if you're exhausted after a 12 hours shift maybe just take it easy. What about an easy walk before or after dinner? Or just waiting until your days off to go hard.

Low carb works for many. I find just logging everything and exercising works for me. I enjoy exercising so that's the easy part for me. I also enjoy sweets and carbs and wine and beer. That's the hard part for me
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited September 2019
    Surgery is just a tool, it's not a magic cure.

You still need the daily decipline to watch what you eat, and count your calories. Even if you exercise daily you need to know your calorie intake and where you should be based on your stats. Eating too little can stall your matabolism and is generally unhealthy. Eating too much and you won't lose and might even gain. You need to find your sweet spot, everyone is different.

If you've had surgery, I suggest you talk to your dietitian to help you find your sweet spot. As you lose weight, adjustments need to be made.

Ultimately you still need to keep track of what you're eating.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were semi eating healthy. Exercise won't make you lose weight, limiting what goes in your mouth and the type of food well, exercising will make you feel good though. My friend lost 250 from her weight loss surgery, gained back 100. We are both working out and eating healthy and she admits she was just eating junk that was easy to keep down. She has now lose 108 pounds again and this time is eating healthy so she looks much better. You can do it, track every single bite.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    My heart goes out to you. I know how frustrating it is to do something as drastic as surgery and still not get to your goal. I had a lapband (since removed due to complications) and it didn't help me at all. I finally lost the weight and have maintianed for a couple of years. What I suggest is forget the drastic measures. Figure out what you need to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week caloriewise to start off and eat those calories. You need to log everything you eat. At the beginning forget about eating "healthy". Eat healthier if you can. Add some veggies you like. If you need a teaspoon of butter on them (I do) then add it and count it. It's going to take you a year or two to get to goal but you will get there if you allow yourself to change your lifestyle slowly and permanently. You are reasonably active and that's awesome but as someone else said what really makes you lose weight is eating less. So get a food scale and measure what you are eating. Reduce the quantities and once you master that then start finding substitutions that you like that are lower calorie because as you lose the calories will have to drop. I feel so much better since I lost the weight and now I am happy eating smaller quantities in fact I feel ill if I eat too much. Yes, it's almost like having weight loss surgery again only now it's because my stomach isn't all stretched out from overeating. You will get there too. Don't give up. I was 59 years old when I started and it took me 2 years to drop 100 lbs. If I can do it so can you! Good luck.