Drinking too much water ?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've recently started a diet and am trying to drink more due to health problems (chronic constipation, frequent UTIs and chronic venous insufficiency). I've been drinking 1.5 liters of water a day for about 4 days now, and have got rid of all the water retention I had, but I'm peeing constantly and I've got horrible headaches, which I've never had before. I'm just wondering if 1.5 liters of water a day can be too much for some people ?

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Are you sipping it through the day or gulping it all down in one go? Peeing constantly is probably an initial reaction because your body isn't used to getting a reasonable supply of water - that will ease. You certainly can get headaches from drinking too much water, as sodium in your body gets diluted, but it's unlikely that 1.5 litres is too much.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    1.5 liters = 6.34 cups

Are you drinking additional liquids -- coffee, tea, soda, etc.?
    Do you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, which have water?
    Have you been checked for another UTI, which can cause constant peeing?

You might try food with more fiber for the consipation, like oatmeal, beans and legumes, salads, etc.

Good luck.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What other dietary changes have you made? If you've cut sugar, for example, the headaches could be a reaction to that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,947 Member
    Options
    Horrible headaches are commonly associated with caffeine withdrawal - did you swap caffeinated beverages for water?

1.5 L of water consumed slowly over the course of the day should not cause issues.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Sophie0679 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've recently started a diet and am trying to drink more due to health problems (chronic constipation, frequent UTIs and chronic venous insufficiency). I've been drinking 1.5 liters of water a day for about 4 days now, and have got rid of all the water retention I had, but I'm peeing constantly and I've got horrible headaches, which I've never had before. I'm just wondering if 1.5 liters of water a day can be too much for some people ?

How much water we need is individual and yes you can have too much. I have personally spent time in the hospital for over hydrating to the point that it caused dangerous electrolytes imbalances. I had to be given sodium and potassium via IV drip when admitted. As a result I no longer track my water, instead I look to the color of my urine. If I’m peeing clear I’m hydrated.

Note - I was drinking approximately 80oz per day when tracking water and hospitalized
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I agree about the timing of when you drink it? You can only process so much water at a time, so if you drank it all in one sitting, or within the same hour, it could be causing issues and causing you to urinate frequently.

But if you are spreading it over the course of the day, and not also intaking a lot of other types of liquids, it would be unlikely that it is causing you issues.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot more than you per day and suffer no ill effects, so I really don't think it's your water intake causing the problem.

Feel better.