Weight at standstill

Options
I’m trying to lose 20 pounds and it seems like my weight has only gone down 3 pounds for the past two month but I’ve been eating 1200 calories a day and doing an hour of cardio with strength training. Any advice?

Replies

• jmayr2000
    jmayr2000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You may want to cut the Strength training down, As it isa good to want to tone you muscles. sometimes it can be count productive. As muscle weights more then fat. If you've been going for 3 months and you feel like you lost only 3 lbs. Then change it up, keep the cardio and the diet. But reduce the daily calorie goal from 1200 to 1000, remember that cardio will allow you to eat more. So if you are eating 1200 and your are burning 200 calories then you will be maintaining 1000 Calories a day. Then once you achieved your goal of 20 lbs. Then add the strength training. Also remember that sodium can also be causing this issue, excess sodium casues water retention as the body is 70% water over drinking and high sodium can cause you to hold more water within the body. For me i maintain a low sodium Under 1500mg a day in sodium and a low cal & carb diet, with High protien and maintain about 8 to 10 8oz cups of water. And I'm losing about 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. I've lost 32 lbs since i started and have another 48lbs to go. Best of Luck and I hope this helps.

JM
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you have only 20 pounds to lose, 0.5 lb/week is a reasonable pace of weight loss, and your actual pace of weight loss may be slower than that. It's common at this point to go several weeks with no movement on the scale, and then see the scale go down a pound or two.

In other words, you may be losing at a reasonable pace for your stats.

To make sure you stay in a deficit, you can weigh all your food, and eat back half your exercise calories if you're not certain whether they're calculated accurately.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    How close to your goal weight are you? It’s been my experience that close to goal weight most folk should shift from scale focused to body fat percentage focused.
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    For over 9 weeks there, I stayed between 139 and 141 pounds and I just didn’t seem to be losing anymore. I felt like giving up so many times but I persevered. This morning I finally broke the that plateau! If you’re not doing so already, make sure you weigh everything with a food scale. Whatever you do, please do not eat under 1200 calories each day as previously suggested. Also, I wouldn’t quit your strength training as also previously suggested; building muscle is a good thing!

Personally I’ve found that taking my measurements helps me see my progress, even when the numbers on the scale aren’t going down. You might like to try that 😊

All the best
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yadi9500 wrote: »
    I’m trying to lose 20 pounds and it seems like my weight has only gone down 3 pounds for the past two month but I’ve been eating 1200 calories a day and doing an hour of cardio with strength training. Any advice?

If that's a current picture, you don't have much to lose, is that 20 lbs all vanity lbs? What is your height and weight?

Do you use a food scale? Double check that the entries you are using in the database have the correct calories? Log everything - condiments, cooking oil, beverages, cheat meals, etc?

Letting fresh eyes take a peek at your diary can often help find those little logging errors that are really typical and can hide way more calories than you'd think!