Exercise question

Options
I love to walk, that's my me time so to speak. But I'm wondering if I should be doing more or less walking added with other exercises. I've lost weight just by walking but I"m not losing much more and I am wondering if that is because I haven't switched my exercises up or what. What do you guys think?

Replies

• jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You definately need to change it up a bit. You can still walk but maybe walk for 2 minutes and jog for 1 minute just to keep your heart rate going up and down. I used to do that with my cousin and it helped. Your body gets used to the same old routine and needs change. You might also want to evaluate your food and make sure you are eating variety and not the same stuff everyday. Eat lots of fruits & vegetables (fresh is best) and drinks alot of water. Good luck!
  • greenmisty
    Options
    You have to make your walks more challenging. Try some trails and hills. But adding in some strength training will definitely help. Muscle burns more calories so if you have more muscle, your cadio will be more effective.
  • gharbron
    Options
    Yes, that would be right. As you repeat a particular exercise, your muscles become more efficient at those motions and use less energy. As a result, you burn fewer calories per mile walked, pound lifted, etc. In order to avoid this, you either need to increase the intensity of your workout, or better yet, mix up your exercises. After a few weeks off your "normal" exercise, you should be able to return to it and find you're burning more calories at it again . . . for a while.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    pump it up a notch.. walk faster :)
  • amyrmca
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I thought this was the case but I wasn't sure. Thanks again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Walking will absolutely improve your health and burn calories for weight loss. But if you want a more toned look then you will need to add other exercises and include some type of strength training. And as your body becomes stronger and you become lighter you will burn less calories doing the same exercise. So to get the same burn you'll need to kick it up a notch.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love to walk, that's my me time so to speak. But I'm wondering if I should be doing more or less walking added with other exercises. I've lost weight just by walking but I"m not losing much more and I am wondering if that is because I haven't switched my exercises up or what. What do you guys think?

Hi Amyrmca, are you walking outside or indoors? If you are walking outside, try doing some indoor walking workouts too. Leslie Sansone and Chris Freytag has some good walking workouts. Chris Freytag has other workouts, besides walking. Leslie has all walking. You can view their workouts on youtube. Add walking behind Chris' name, to see all her walking workouts.

Both ladies incorporate strength training into their walking programs. They have good interval workouts too.

I like doing both ladies workouts.