Fun Interval Training at Home - Kinect Boxing

Options
I would like to share a home workout that has really helped my cardio success.

For those of you unfamiliar with Xbox Kinect, it is very similar to the Wii. Except the Kinect reads your body with no controllers to hold. There are many exercising games for the Kinect. This post is about the game Kinect Sports. This game includes an assortment of sporting events including bowling, soccer, ping pong and many more. My favorite for calorie burning is Boxing!

1.5 minute rounds fighting the computer with 30 second breaks between rounds. Perfect interval training. My heart rate reaches the same BPM as when I sprint as fast as possible. Just swing those arms as if you are in a kick boxing class (minus the kicks). The 30 sec break is perfect to breath your heart rate back down before pounding your opponent again. The sensor reads your punches precisely without wearing any gadgets or holding anything in your hands.

Like any cardio, your body will get used to it and its harder to get a max heart rate. But boxing includes 4 levels of opponents and trust me, they aren't easy. If you do it right... sweat will pour off of you. I try to do a lot of ducking while punching to work my quads at the same time. After 3 months, I just finally defeated the hardest level, so now I hold 5 pound weights while starting at the low level again. Not only am I burning fat, but my shoulders look lean and ripped.

I'm really loving how technology is helping my cause to be fit! Thank you IPhone, thank you Kinect, and a big thank you to myFitnessPal.

Replies

• TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    ok I have an xbox kinect, well actually the kids do lol. Did sports come with it? or is it extra and does the kinect read your heart rate or do you wear one?
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love my Kinects.... I have used the sports calorie challenge
  • lpkitty
    lpkitty Posts: 45
    Options
    I like the idea of starting over with weights after you make it through. I like the wii boxing but this sounds like more of a workout.
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ok I have an xbox kinect, well actually the kids do lol. Did sports come with it? or is it extra and does the kinect read your heart rate or do you wear one?

I don't think the game came with the sensor, but I would not be surprised if your kids have it. Kinect Sports is very popular since it includes 10-20 sports games.

I wear a heart rate monitor (or used to as it tends to fall off during upper cuts). I have another game called Kinect Shape that actually counts your calories. Kinect Shape had excellent reviews for cardio workouts and toning. I only tried it once because I've been addicted to boxing ever since.
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of starting over with weights after you make it through. I like the wii boxing but this sounds like more of a workout.

Wii boxing is just like it, except you don't have to hold the 2 controllers. Since I'm not holding anything, I'm a lot more agressive with spazzing punches since there's no fear of throwing the controller through the TV :)
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    sounds like a lot of fun!! I don't own an xbox but I do have playstation 3 move...and I love singstar-dance....nothing like burning calories to baby got back!!!
  • courie969
    Options
    I'm new to all this, but I just started my workout regime today, which included Kinect Boxing... My question is, how many calories does it burn? I only saw "General Boxing" on the list and didn't want to add my own exercise since I didn't know the calorie amount. Any help would be appreciated.
    And PS: When you buy a Kinect brand new, it does come with Kinect Adventures!